Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thermowells and temp probes  (Read 6354 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Thermowells and temp probes
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 11:12:53 am »
Shop towels and duct tape....in the shape of St Mark's. (not)

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 11:14:18 am »

I carved a replica of St. Peter's Basilica out of styrofoam and wrap the colonnades around the fermentation vessel. I carved a small space in the front of the basilica for the probe so it looks like the probe is conducting mass over the beer.

Raise your game people.
I had something similar but last year when the Pope dropped by for a beer he told me to take it down and go to confession.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 09:02:26 pm »

Looks like I'm the only loser using a thermowell then.... :(

You're not quite alone: I'm the other guy.... I'm happy using thermowells because I find them easy. I imagine because they require a second hole, there might be more risk of infection, etc., but I've never had that problem--though to make sure I put a piece of aluminum foil over it. I like that they allow the probe to be in the middle of the fermenter, but I'm not certain there's much difference in measured temperature between the center and outside. The one complaint I have is that the thermowell doesn't always fit snuggly in the stopper--allowing gas to escape rather than letting the airlock do its job. But once I realize this, a little push at the top seals the leak and gets that airlock going. For all this, though, maybe I should try the more popular method to see if there are benefits.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 09:26:07 am »
Add another guy that uses a thermowell. I have a Johnson A419 controller and picked up a 16" SS thermowell that goes into a bung with a hole for the thermowell and a hole for an airlock. I did it more for the ease of just dropping the probe into the thermowell and not having to tape it to the side of the carboy. I do have a sticky thermometer on the side of the carboy as well and that reading seems to be just as accurate.

I have dual use for the thermowell. On brew days, I insert the thermowell into my mashtun with the probe so I can run my HERMS. Works great.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:28:31 am by PORTERHAUS »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 08:01:35 pm »
I use thermowell son the conical and car boys. Buckets the probe is under foam.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline emcfarden

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 10:48:43 am »
I bought a water proof temp probe (about $8) and ran it into a gallon water jug full of water. I keep the setting on my temp controller a degree or two lower than the wort should be since the wort will be a little higher. This keeps my temp controller from going on/off as frequently since it's not measuring air temp alone.

This way I don't have to mess w/ thermowells.

haven't been using it a long time but it seems to be working well for now.   

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 12:15:27 pm »

I have dual use for the thermowell. On brew days, I insert the thermowell into my mashtun with the probe so I can run my HERMS. Works great.

Good idea! I too find it easier just to put the temp probe into the thermowell and call it a day.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 05:24:31 pm »
I ferment two buckets at a time.  I equalize the amount of wort in each, and use a thermowell in a tight fitting hole in one of the bucket lids + a Ranco temp controller.  5.5 gal wort in a 6.5 gal bucket, with anti-foam drops and a blowoff tube.  Works fine.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 06:53:04 pm »
I ferment two buckets at a time.  I equalize the amount of wort in each, and use a thermowell in a tight fitting hole in one of the bucket lids + a Ranco temp controller.  5.5 gal wort in a 6.5 gal bucket, with anti-foam drops and a blowoff tube.  Works fine.

Thank-you. I've been looking for a problem to fix and have been considering experimenting with a thermowell in the freezer that doesn't have a fan to circulate the air. The holes with grommets in the lids of my fermenters ought to work. Thermowell is dirt cheap too.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 08:40:09 pm »

Thank-you. I've been looking for a problem to fix and have been considering experimenting with a thermowell in the freezer that doesn't have a fan to circulate the air. The holes with grommets in the lids of my fermenters ought to work. Thermowell is dirt cheap too.

I used the grommet hole as the starter hole but drilled a 1" wide hole which provides a snug fit for the rubber stopper utilized in the thermowell I purchased.  Depending on your stopper, just remember to drill a hole for the narrow end of the tapered stopper since you want a good seal and don't want the thermowell to ever push through the lid into the wort when you are inserting it into your bucket lid hole.  But don't drill to small width hole either, or the lid will crack at the edge of the hole due to too much forcing the stopper into it.

This has worked really well for me.  I have a new backup thermowell but I'm still using the one I've had for maybe 8 years.  I give the stem a good soak in PBW after using, so as to be able to wipe off the beer stone that collects on it otherwise.   :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:44:00 pm by brewsumore »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 08:53:33 pm »
I was wondering about the cleaning aspect. It's all good to know!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 09:09:10 pm »
I was wondering about the cleaning aspect. It's all good to know!

Yeah, FWIW I always immediately wash and sanitize my two fermenter buckets (10 gal batches) after beer transfer to kegs, so after hitting the buckets with some PBW and a good sponge job I drop the thermowell in the left over warm PBW in a Home Depot bucket for at least 20 minutes, wipe the stem hard with a sponge to remove any bits of remaining krauesen and beer stone (smooth sponge usually works), rinse really well under hot tap water, dip in Star San, and then store the thermowell upside down/inverted so all water drains from the inside of the stem.  I don't like to put anything with hard edges, thermowell included, into my fermenter buckets - that's why the extra HD bucket.