Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cigars  (Read 4113 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Cigars
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 03:20:14 pm »
I used to smoke often enough to warrant a humidor, which I still have but it's not set up.  Now I may have 2-3 a year on special occasions, trips, etc but I know what I like. 

I'm a Macanudo man.  Vintage if I can find one, but regular Conn. shade is fine.  Don't like Maduro.  Usually go for a Hyde Park but sometimes smaller, depending on the occasion.  I agree with the conversation with a good friend.  Sitting out on the back porch with a cigar and a glass of whiskey.  Not much better in the world. 

Romeo y Juliettas are also nice and my best friend is partial to an Arturo Fuente Hemingway which is also a nice stick.

Favorite cigar smoking experience was in New Orleans, right on Canal street.  Can't remember the name of the shop but they only carried their House brand, but they would help you pick something based on what you liked.  At the time (not sure anymore) you could smoke inside.  Leather couch sitting inside, but the entire front of the store was wide open french doors open to the street.  Sitting there enjoying a smoke, watching the world go by, music drifting in from the French Quarter across the street.  That was an incredible night.
That's funny, because one of the most sublime moments ever was having a cigar in New Orleans, just standing on the levy watching the River roll by for 20 minutes by myself.  This was at my first National Homebrew Conference (1996) and was also our 20th wedding anniversary.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 03:36:55 pm »
Gosh, I am almost ashamed to admit that I have a humidor and about 6 boxes aging away. I don't smoke all that often, and like my home-brew, give more than a few away. I am pretty careful about when I smoke if I am going to be judging in the next week or two - or packaging for a competition soon.

I am a gigantic fan of Rocky Patel's offerings. Met his son once and he walked me through how they age their bales and particularly focus on minimal residual ammonia, along with other undesired chemicals. I was already a fan, and his passion helped to cement my loyalty there. Their 1991 and Decades are some of my favorite smokes. Prices have been rising pretty steadily, so happy I have a couple of boxes aging already.

Like mentioned, seems that a good experience helps to elevate a cigar. Early on, I bought some Montecristo #2's and sat outside on a hot and humid evening drinking a great tequila over ice. I couldn't afford the cigars or the tequila at the time - so it was a real treat.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 05:08:02 pm »

Gosh, I am almost ashamed to admit that I have a humidor and about 6 boxes aging away. I don't smoke all that often, and like my home-brew, give more than a few away. I am pretty careful about when I smoke if I am going to be judging in the next week or two - or packaging for a competition soon.

I am a gigantic fan of Rocky Patel's offerings. Met his son once and he walked me through how they age their bales and particularly focus on minimal residual ammonia, along with other undesired chemicals. I was already a fan, and his passion helped to cement my loyalty there. Their 1991 and Decades are some of my favorite smokes. Prices have been rising pretty steadily, so happy I have a couple of boxes aging already.

Like mentioned, seems that a good experience helps to elevate a cigar. Early on, I bought some Montecristo #2's and sat outside on a hot and humid evening drinking a great tequila over ice. I couldn't afford the cigars or the tequila at the time - so it was a real treat.

aw naw never be ashamed enjoying the things you love. It's why we fight and die for such freedoms in this great country!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 05:12:44 pm »
Hi. My name is joe and I have two humidors full of cigars...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 05:17:10 pm »

Hi Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 05:20:26 pm »

I do as well, but I think in all of last year I had about 8-10 cigars.

That does mean the rest are all aging happily, so not all is lost. I go through spells.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 06:08:52 pm »

That's funny, because one of the most sublime moments ever was having a cigar in New Orleans, just standing on the levy watching the River roll by for 20 minutes by myself.  This was at my first National Homebrew Conference (1996) and was also our 20th wedding anniversary.

You have a cool wife. just sayin'

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 08:58:01 pm »
Only at weddings. Last time was at a Hindi wedding with 350+ guests. The groom come through the hall carrying four boxes of cigars gathering up anybody that would join. Can't say no there.

One of my Dallas clubs was an older crowd. At the end of the monthly brew days, when the beer is away and everything is mostly clean, out came the cigars. I always found it interesting that a large proportion of the club had two shared interest.

To add what Ken was saying about Europe. Pretty much all the rum and cigars there are Cuban. It's only here that there's an issue. Here it's taboo, there nobody cares.

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 04:21:43 pm »
Few things more enjoyable than a Backwoods on a brew-day!

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/12491/backwoods/

Oh yes.
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 06:30:43 pm »
Smoked an El Cauto Nicaraguan this afternoon while watching the Blackhawks, painting, and doing some yard work.

Don't know where I got it, but it was tasty.

Fired up the grill, cooked some chicken and some salmon.  Heading to the neighbors for dinner.

Spring has arrived in Chicago.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 09:39:40 pm »
My latest purchase turned out nicely.  20 Torano Hogshead robusto's for $40.  A very nice smoke for $2 a stick!  here's where I found them:  http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/80032/torano-hogshead/
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 08:42:48 am »
Romeo y Juliettas are also nice and my best friend is partial to an Arturo Fuente Hemingway which is also a nice stick.

I really like the RyJ Habanas and the Hemingway "Short Story" is the perfect cigar for me.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 09:04:57 am »
I'm definitely partial to a good Oliva these days, although I have some Gurkha and Cohiba in the back of the humidor. I quit smoking 10 years ago, never felt the urge to go back, but a cigar every couple of weeks over the summer is nice (too cold to enjoy one outside in the Indiana winters!)