Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Attention To Detail - Differences in Final Product  (Read 9277 times)

hawkeye

Attention To Detail - Differences in Final Product
« on: February 28, 2016, 05:48:17 pm »
Given a beer brewed by an experienced brewer that meticulously measures, weighs and calculates every detail (a perfect process, hitting all numbers) and a beer brewed by an experienced brewer that is "casual" in measuring, weighing and calculating, perhaps skips things they deem unnecessary - what differences would be experienced in tasting the final product?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Attention To Detail - Differences in Final Product
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:54:02 pm »
I guess it would depend on how 'casual' the brewing is. Too casual and things like sanitation, fermentation control, pH control, etc. could cause a multitude of issues. If you're 'conscientiously casual' you could certainly brew good beer.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:00:15 pm »
Couple thoughts
1. There are very few agreed upon "perfect" processes.
2. Things they deem unnecessary... if that means what I think it means, then no meaningful difference between the two.

hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 06:05:57 pm »
No difference.  Kind-of what I suspected but doesn't hurt to ask.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:16:30 pm »
Good question actually. Could fuel a great discussion. I'm of the mind that folks that want to seek meticulous perfection should do so. But it's also ok to just slap it together. And everything in between. I'm still searching out which details are important and which are not. As they say, Not all who wander are lost.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 06:32:35 pm »
I don't think it is that difficult to brew decent beer.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 06:37:09 pm »

I agree.  It is harder to brew genuinely good beer, and really hard to brew great beer.  I think attention to details and being a little OCD is the only *consistent* path to great beer.  It can happen once by serendipity, but it takes a great deal of effort & thought to make lightening strike more than once in the same spot.

It is the way life works - beer is no exception.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

hawkeye

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 06:38:39 pm »
Some things that I've seen omitted (or not done due to lack of ingredient/equipment/knowledge but still made drinkable beer):

1.) Whirlfloc/Irish Moss
2.) Hydrometer readings (OG and FG!)
3.) Fermentation Temperature measurements (still fermented in an area that's at an acceptable temp)
4.) Yeast Nutrient
5.) Pitching Temperature measurement
6.) pH
7.) Water Adjustments

There's probably more but I guess beer is versatile like that.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 06:43:13 pm »
I'm the casual one. I have been brewing a little more like my cooking lately, a little bit more seat of my pants and not measuring everything. I still measure grain, hops, water volumes etc. but for instance this weekend I brewed two beers and didn't measure gravity until it was ready for the fermenter (it tasted like the right gravity during the boil) and didn't bother with brun water because I know what needs to go in the beers I made. I estimate strike water volume in my head. I eyed out the gypsum and baking soda in the palm of my hand and only checked mash ph of the stout I made.
that is fun to me, others probably would hate it. I, and others, like my beer. I didn't do that when I was new, I had to learn what things worked and what things looked like, tasted like, and smelled like.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 06:50:14 pm »
I think attention to details and being a little OCD is the only *consistent* path to great beer.  It can happen once by serendipity, but it takes a great deal of effort & thought to make lightening strike more than once in the same spot.

For sure. I use my touch of OCD to my advantage ;D. I do agree that it's not hard to make good beer. Consistently really good, another story. Every time I make a beer I ask myself "Would I pay $ for this?". If the answer is no, I'm pissed. There's room for lots of approaches.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 07:02:18 pm »
I think attention to details and being a little OCD is the only *consistent* path to great beer.  It can happen once by serendipity, but it takes a great deal of effort & thought to make lightening strike more than once in the same spot.

For sure. I use my touch of OCD to my advantage ;D. I do agree that it's not hard to make good beer. Consistently really good, another story. Every time I make a beer I ask myself "Would I pay $ for this?". If the answer is no, I'm pissed. There's room for lots of approaches.
+1 to Jon's llast sentence. Everyone should find their own way and brew true to themselves. It should be that everyone does it different. Know thyself.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 07:22:08 pm »
I tend to be a lot more meticulous the first few times I try a new style or first shot at a new recipe. Once I've gotten something where I want it, brewed it consistently I will get a bit more lacadazical and everyone still likes seeing an old friend back on tap:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

hawkeye

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 07:41:24 pm »
So if the same beer were brewed both ways could they be distinguished in a triangle test?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 07:48:25 pm »
So if the same beer were brewed both ways could they be distinguished in a triangle test?
I suppose I wouldn't be the one to ask...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 07:57:05 pm »

Exactly. this isn't brain science or rocket surgery. It is like cooking. You either get it or you don't. You pay attention to the details to make the best beer you can make. If you care you'll make good beer. If you don't you won't.