Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Tun question  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Markkoks

• 1st Kit
Mash Tun question
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:13:52 am »
Hi guys, very new to this forum and quite new to all-grain brewing as well so I have a question regarding my mash tun.

Currently I am using a plastic bucket, which works fine but I lose temperature very rapidly and therefor I am going to invest in a cooler box, however where I live (The Netherlands) there's not a wide arrangement of cooler boxes.

I found two on the european Amazon and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what to get:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D50SPYU/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g200_i2_sh
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D50SP36/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g200_i1_sh

As you can see there's not a lot of price differences and the only real differences is the volume (30 vs 40 liters)
I usually make 2.5 gallon batches but I want to start 5 gallon batches since I have the necessary equipment.

I guess what I am asking from you is a general idea if this would be a good cooler box to get for mashing and if a 30 liter is fine for 5 gallon batches (even though it is a small differences in price, I am a student so try to save money wherever I can)

Thanks a lot!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Mash Tun question
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 06:17:20 am »
If you plan on doing 5 gal batches, I'd opt for the 40 L cooler.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 06:35:14 am »
When I started all grain brewing, I did BIAB in a large steel pot, and during the mash simply wrapped it in an old sleeping bag.  I would only get 2-3c drop in temp over a 60min mash.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

RPIScotty

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 06:39:39 am »
If you run the numbers:

Using 1.5 qts/lb as your water to grain ratio and assuming that your maximum grain weight is 18 lbs.

1.5 qts/lb * 18 lb = 27 qts or 6.75 gal of strike water

Grain displacement = 15 lb * ~0.32 qts/lb  = 4.8 qts or 1.2 gal

As you can see, this scenario would absolutely max out the 30 L cooler and make it hard to stir. Your maximum gravity using 18 lb and a 75% efficiency would be:

37 ppg * 75% efficiency = ~29 ppg

(29 ppg * 18 lb)/5 gal = 1.103 S.G.

If you crunch the same numbers with the 40 L cooler and an increased grain maximum you get:

Using 1.5 qts/lb as your water to grain ratio and assuming that your maximum grain weight is 20 lbs.

1.5 qts/lb * 20 lb = 30 qts or 7.5 gal of strike water

Grain displacement = 20 lb * ~0.32 qts/lb  = 6.4 qts or 1.6 gal

Your maximum gravity using 20 lb and a 75% efficiency would be:

37 ppg * 75% efficiency = ~29 ppg

(29 ppg * 20 lb)/5 gal = 1.160 S.G.

If you do not plan on making humongous beers or you plan on brewing < 5 gal, you can most certainly use the 7.9 gal cooler. If you mash in stiffer than the 1.5 qts/lb I used you will have plenty of room to make 5 gallon batches of humongous beer.

If you consistently brew big beers or are going to be consistently making 5 gal batches then the larger cooler may be a better idea as it grants you a bit more leeway to change the water togrist ratio or increase the size of the grain bill.

hawkeye

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 06:46:40 am »
If you know the average grain bill size and mash ratio you could use a "Can I Mash It" computator.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis