Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Issues with bottles.  (Read 3497 times)

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
Re: Issues with bottles.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 04:02:29 am »
Is fermentation done before you bottle?  It could take weeks depending on things like temperature, oxygenation, and yeast pitching rate.  Also, if you transfer to a secondary after one week like the old brewing texts say to, that can stall fermentation.
+1 and I'd also add that 4 hours is not enough time to properly chill, I'd say more lime a couple to a few days would be better to sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I transfer the beer to a secondary 4 days after lack of activity.  So if what activity had stopped after 7 days, then 4 to 7 days later it will go into secondary for at least 2 weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 05:50:24 am »
Is fermentation done before you bottle?  It could take weeks depending on things like temperature, oxygenation, and yeast pitching rate.  Also, if you transfer to a secondary after one week like the old brewing texts say to, that can stall fermentation.
+1 and I'd also add that 4 hours is not enough time to properly chill, I'd say more lime a couple to a few days would be better to sure

I transfer the beer to a secondary 4 days after lack of activity.  So if what activity had stopped after 7 days, then 4 to 7 days later it will go into secondary for at least 2 weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Are you checking gravity or simply going by airlock activity? If not checking gravity to verify the beer is done you might be racking too soon. Best to let the beer completely finish in primary. Unless you are adding fruit or oaking the beer there really is no need to use a secondary.

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 08:35:31 am »
If it's only happening with some of the bottles address your cleaning and inspection process. If it was incomplete fermentation in primary/secondary they all would exhibit the same geysering.

Based on the data you've provided. If you find it hard to accept that is the bottles... well it's an internet diagnoses. :)

Rinse those bottles completely and dry upside down to drain every time you open one. Then use a brush if there is any remaining debris. Crap will grow inside that you won't even see if you have a poorly rinsed bottle.

Also if you have a dishwasher with a sanitize feature it is really great for prepping the bottles for filling.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 07:04:04 pm »
I would suspect dirty bottles as well. It has happened to me and I'm real anal on my sanitation. I would hold the empty bottles up to the light and see if any gunk is still in there. 22oz bomber bottles are a real PITA for me cause the bottle brush doesn't make great contact toward the transition at the neck.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 08:09:19 pm »
I would suspect dirty bottles as well. It has happened to me and I'm real anal on my sanitation. I would hold the empty bottles up to the light and see if any gunk is still in there. 22oz bomber bottles are a real PITA for me cause the bottle brush doesn't make great contact toward the transition at the neck.

I agree. OP wrote, "I wash the bottles in mild dish washing liquid and as hot water as I can stand.  The about 10 min before I bottle I hit it with a dosage of star san." In my experience, what really cleans bottles is an oxygen-based cleaner such as Oxiclean or the equivalent (TJ's, Safeway, and Whole Foods carry them) dissolved in warm water, time (sometimes I soak for weeks... I love washing bottles!), a bottle brush, a strong jet-wash rinse, and an inspection of each bottle for gunk. The oxygen-based cleaner (or PBW, etc.) aggressively scrubs away junk that dishwashing liquid won't touch. I also soak bottle caps in StarSan right before bottling and make sure I sanitize the bottling tree.

I did also wonder, but this may be way off-base, if the dishwashing liquid was leaving a film that sudsed up later. But it sounds like dirty bottles.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member