Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Rant...  (Read 3902 times)

RPIScotty

Re: A Rant...
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 08:56:58 am »
One of the reasons I love batches < 1.5 Gallons is the ease of bottling. I only keep my 11.2 oz. Belgian bottles and have around 60 as of now. My typical batch ranges from 0.75-1.5.

I don't ever see going any bigger than that unless doing a bigger (1.5-2.125 gal) in my Brew Demon plastic conical.

Kegging just isn't in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 09:16:01 am »
Kegging is not all puppies and rainbows. Stuff happens.
How do you do it? When ever I grumble about kegging I get lynched. Well... almost
Still better than bottling!  ;D
There are times I wonder about how much better.

Leaky poppets, PRVs, and lids. Rebuilt one regulator. Leaky distribution lines. Gas bottles that go out of date. Like I said, it has some down sides.

Maybe it is the long line of experiences that can back up why Kegging has some drawbacks?
I will also say that I have 4 CO2 tanks and regulators, and 36 kegs of various ages. Plenty of opportunity for Murphy's law to apply. One learns to have spare parts on hand for quick repairs. When you brew a lot of lagers, make cider, and have some big beers aging, you find there is often a need for another keg or two. I keep telling myself, no more kegs.

If I had one CO2 tank and 4 kegs, my viewpoint would be different.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 09:27:58 am »
Kegs can certainly be a cruel, cruel mistress.

RPIScotty

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 09:33:12 am »

How do you do it? When ever I grumble about kegging I get lynched. Well... almost

Leaky poppets, PRVs, and lids. Rebuilt one regulator. Leaky distribution lines. Gas bottles that go out of date. Like I said, it has some down sides.

Maybe it is the long line of experiences that can back up why Kegging has some drawbacks?
I will also say that I have 4 CO2 tanks and regulators, and 36 kegs of various ages. Plenty of opportunity for Murphy's law to apply. One learns to have spare parts on hand for quick repairs. When you brew a lot of lagers, make cider, and have some big beers aging, you find there is often a need for another keg or two. I keep telling myself, no more kegs.

36 kegs!

My wife just made me clear out some of my bottle stash because it was taking up too much space. I can't imagine what her reaction would be to a room full of kegs!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 09:34:17 am »

36 kegs!

My wife just made me clear out some of my bottle stash because it was taking up too much space. I can't imagine what her reaction would be to a room full of kegs!

My wife is my co-Brewer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 09:36:56 am »
A buddy of mine thinks my wife is pretty cool since she let me install cam locks on the guest shower. Now I can swap the shower head for a hose with sprayer.

She also let me put the keezer in the living room, but that's mostly because there isn't another good spot for it. A less understanding person would ask that I get a smaller one.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 09:44:49 am »
The benefits of kegging far outweigh its deficits. Not even close. First batch after a 14 year hiatus I cobbled a kegging system together. No bottles to maintain.

I have stable of 16 five gallon cornies and a 3 and 2.5 gallon set, two mini-fridges and two tanks. At least 4 of the kegs need some replacement parts at any given time.

Right before they got scarce I picked up 8 in one go for less than $180. Those days are long gone so the allure of bottles is understandable.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 09:49:15 am »
The benefits of kegging far outweigh its deficits. Not even close.

+1.  I have upwards of 25 kegs, so there is some maintenance there in terms of o-rings and spare parts. I go through phases where I'm leak chasing and phases like now that are airtight and smooth sailing. Even during the labor intensive times I'm still glad I keg. Just me.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 09:55:07 am »

Right before they got scarce I picked up 8 in one go for less than $180. Those days are long gone so the allure of bottles is understandable.
I could be wrong, but they may be coming back. At least back to 2008 prices.

I've been noticing an increase in "we just 'found' a ton of kegs and want to pass the savings along to you" sales. These places went from selling singles at $80 to $200/4pk. Could it be somebody was playing the market and now China and India have come in swinging with new kegs at 2014 used prices? I've even seen Italian kegs at $95.

I bet there's a warehouse in the dessert with kegs stacked floor to ceiling and some putz is filling them with his tears and crushed dreams of being a keg kingpin.

On a side note, I hear the frozen oj harvest might be down this year. ;)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 10:06:01 am »
I forgot to say "lovingly used"... :D

$50 a pop isn't bad for a used keg these days if it's in good or better condition I'm assuming. Seem to remember seeing brand new kegs online for over $100 each but that was a while ago. And, I heard there have been quality issues with the new Chinese made kegs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 01:41:37 pm »

Yup. I'm of the extreme minority who doesn't mind bottling and has no plans of "upgrading" to kegging any time soon. My job entails a lot of work with high/low pressure vacuum systems, tubing, gas manifolds, etc and maintenance there of - I don't need to be doing more of that in my hobby. Bottling feels more pastoral.  ;)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 08:23:21 pm »

Yup. I'm of the extreme minority who doesn't mind bottling and has no plans of "upgrading" to kegging any time soon. My job entails a lot of work with high/low pressure vacuum systems, tubing, gas manifolds, etc and maintenance there of - I don't need to be doing more of that in my hobby. Bottling feels more pastoral.  ;)

That makes complete sense. To me, bottling became the household chores that are necessary but I don't enjoy and that cut into my leisure time. But I remember someone I met a long time ago when I was in the service who welded as a personal hobby, and when I asked why he didn't do it for his primary job, he said it would take the fun away.

It's no fun when a CO2 tank goes empty a day after you refilled it, or when a leak is hard to trace, or a keg has a crazy foamy pour you can't fix. (I still have beginner's luck, so this hasn't happened to me.) But pondering the mechanics of kegging is a joyous escape for me. Love my job, love my home life, need some third place to dwell. And I'm grateful, really appreciative, to have the time this year to ponder homebrewing. Last year wasn't like that.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 08:04:58 am »
No it sure isn't. Every time I hear someone say kegging is leaps and bounds better and more awesome than bottling, I always think of stuff like this. It's not, it's just different. Once you get your sh*t figured out, it is pretty darn awesome though. But it's like being single versus being in a relationship, plus sides to both. Just have to choose your poison.

I had an infection issue for about a year and a half and I wasted a lot of good beer trying to figure it out. Hoppy beers were turning to butterscotch and beer just didn't taste right. After looking at everything I thought possible, I took apart my gas disconnects. Found mold in them. Boy that was a frustrating end to a long battle. I almost quit brewing. Check your gas side if you suspect an issue, people!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:07:13 am by beersk »
Jesse