Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Test With Peppers  (Read 1149 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Test With Peppers
« on: March 01, 2016, 06:26:06 pm »
Some time back a fellow helped me devise a recipe for a jalapeño cream ale. It's been one of our favorite beers but I've been adding jalapeños a little each time (as well as adjusting and refining the recipe).

One thing I haven't found any information on is what gives better flavor, aroma, and spice, along with the duration.

What I've been doing is roasting half of the jalapeños at 350* for 30 mins, slicing thinly, and placing in the freezer until brew day that I'm using at the end of the boil.

The other half I've been leaving raw, slicing thinly, and placing in a container with vodka for several weeks and adding as a "dry pepper" addition for 7 days.

I'll be spending my hobby funds in a couple of weeks and am finally planning on a side by side comparison of nothing but roasted peppers in the boil, and nothing but a soaked "dry pepper" addition.

To ensure the jalapeños are equal I'll split them all in half.

I'm also curious about all roasted vs raw...

Has anyone conducted such a test?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Test With Peppers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 06:42:52 pm »
I use raw.  I chop 9 jalapenos per 5 gallons on bottling day, seeds and all, boil half in a few cups of beer and soak the other in warm vodka for several hours, then in the evening add the liquids from each to the finished beer and bottle 'er up.  You can dork around with freezing and roasting and soaking for weeks or whatever, but my method works fantastically.... gives just a slight mild burn, huge flavor and aroma.  Won awards for it, etc.  It's one of the most requested beers I make... maybe THE most.

I've never roasted peppers so I can't comment too much, but sounds like it might be worth some tasty experimentation.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:44:32 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:22:33 pm »
The initial instructions I was given was to roast all 4 jalapeños for a 4 gal batch, but save 2 for the "dry pepper" addition. I was to boil for 10 mins as well as "dry pepper" for 10 days.

My latest used 10 jalapeños for 5.25 gals.

I've seen it said roasting them allows the capsacium out better. I'm not sure about that as I love fresh jalapeños. But then I've had some real smokers come off of my BBQ pit.

It's interesting you get plenty of jalapeño by that method as I've been considering a cream ale with Serrano peppers. My neighbor loved the cream ale I made but can't tolerate spicy foods due to ulcers so I wondered about bottling a portion and "tainting" the rest.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:25:28 pm by rodwha »

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 10:13:33 pm »
I use raw.  I chop 9 jalapenos per 5 gallons on bottling day, seeds and all, boil half in a few cups of beer and soak the other in warm vodka for several hours, then in the evening add the liquids from each to the finished beer and bottle 'er up.  You can dork around with freezing and roasting and soaking for weeks or whatever, but my method works fantastically.... gives just a slight mild burn, huge flavor and aroma.  Won awards for it, etc.  It's one of the most requested beers I make... maybe THE most.

I've never roasted peppers so I can't comment too much, but sounds like it might be worth some tasty experimentation.
Sounds interesting.  Is that in a cream ale also?  I wonder how Habineros would work.  Love their flavor and aroma.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.