Author Topic: Issues with bottles.  (Read 1532 times)

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
    • View Profile
Issues with bottles.
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »
Hello
I am having some problems with my bottling.  When I bottle everything seems fine.  I use the exact priming sugar that my volume calls for or 1 carbonation Drop per bottle.  On several bottle of the batch I get geysers when I open them.  There aren't any off flavors in the beer either.  It has happened on several different batchs and different styles of beer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with bottles.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »
Not sure what kind of carbonation drop you are using, but if it's the ones that look like a cough drop, I never had good luck with them. Pretty much every time I used them, every bottle was over carbed. Using the carb drops are you finding that only some of the batch is overcarbed?
As far as the priming sugar, are you finding all bottles are over carbed or just some?
If just some, then it's likely that the sugar is not getting evenly mixed into the beer prior to bottling.
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »
Perhaps you are accidentally putting more in one bottle and not realizing it. I'd do one at a time: drop carb tab and cap and then on to the next. I can see where- say, dropping the tabs in a rapid succession to several cases of bottles might end up with an extra drop in one or two.

Or it may be infection. Off flavors don't necessarily have to occur with an infection. A stubborn wild yeast can leave a beer tasting muted, lacking in body and overcarbonated. Degradation but no off flavors.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »
Not sure what kind of carbonation drop you are using, but if it's the ones that look like a cough drop, I never had good luck with them. Pretty much every time I used them, every bottle was over carbed. Using the carb drops are you finding that only some of the batch is overcarbed?
As far as the priming sugar, are you finding all bottles are over carbed or just some?
If just some, then it's likely that the sugar is not getting evenly mixed into the beer prior to bottling.
It is the ones looking like a cough drop.  And it's only some of the bottles. 

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 07:44:27 PM »
Have you considered adding a boiled sugar solution to the entire batch and then bottling?  The carbonation should be more even between bottles.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 08:55:41 PM »
I would suspect a dirty bottle was filled when you are using the carbonation drops and still get geysers.  What is your bottle cleaning and sanitation regime?

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:06:16 AM »
I would suspect a dirty bottle was filled when you are using the carbonation drops and still get geysers.  What is your bottle cleaning and sanitation regime?
I wash the bottles in mild dish washing liquid and as hot water as I can stand.  The about 10 min before I bottle I hit it with a dosage of star san.  Then bottle and drop a carb drop in and cap

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »
Have you considered adding a boiled sugar solution to the entire batch and then bottling?  The carbonation should be more even between bottles.
When I do 2.5 gallon or larger batches. I take my Corn sugar and mix it with a small amount of water and heat it to boiling
It is the ones looking like a cough drop.  And it's only some of the bottles. 

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 12:48:03 AM »
I wash the bottles in mild dish washing liquid and as hot water as I can stand.  The about 10 min before I bottle I hit it with a dosage of star san.  Then bottle and drop a carb drop in and cap

Do yo inspect each one of the bottles after cleaning?  Unless you scrub with a brush a speck of gunk harboring bacteria can still remain in the bottle.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 12:56:21 AM »
Are you measuring your actual final bottling volume? Are you weighing out the priming sugar based on this volume? I'm not a fan of the carb drops, find them to be hit or miss. Also as mentioned, are you sure the bottles are clean and sanitized? Also, how long are you chilling the bottles before opening them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 01:30:39 AM »

Do yo inspect each one of the bottles after cleaning?  Unless you scrub with a brush a speck of gunk harboring bacteria can still remain in the bottle.
I do examine each bottle, if it has anything In it it goes back into the wash. 

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 01:31:29 AM »
Are you measuring your actual final bottling volume? Are you weighing out the priming sugar based on this volume? I'm not a fan of the carb drops, find them to be hit or miss. Also as mentioned, are you sure the bottles are clean and sanitized? Also, how long are you chilling the bottles before opening them?

When I do batches of 2.5 gallons or more I do use Corn sugar based on the volume at the time of bottling

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 01:32:12 AM »

When I do batches of 2.5 gallons or more I do use Corn sugar based on the volume at the time of bottling

I chill them at least 4  hours before I drink them, if not 1 to 2 days

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 01:41:53 AM »
Is fermentation done before you bottle?  It could take weeks depending on things like temperature, oxygenation, and yeast pitching rate.  Also, if you transfer to a secondary after one week like the old brewing texts say to, that can stall fermentation.
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 02:03:08 AM »
Is fermentation done before you bottle?  It could take weeks depending on things like temperature, oxygenation, and yeast pitching rate.  Also, if you transfer to a secondary after one week like the old brewing texts say to, that can stall fermentation.
+1 and I'd also add that 4 hours is not enough time to properly chill, I'd say more lime a couple to a few days would be better to sure

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010