Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Sour Brewing  (Read 2653 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
All Sour Brewing
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:30:37 am »
Has anyone said "fu#k it" and made the switch to an entire sour operation? No separate gear to speak of and only fermenting sours?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: All Sour Brewing
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:34:42 am »
Not me, and not likely in the near future. Just love clean ales and lagers too much
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:02:00 am »
I don't make a huge effort to keep things separate. occasionally I get bit by it but not usually. I have thought about it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:50:57 pm »
If you like sours, why not? I lost my taste for them, as they are bad acid reflux triggers.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:54:41 pm »
If you like sours, why not? I lost my taste for them, as they are bad acid reflux triggers.

Yep.  Damn old age.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 01:59:05 pm »
I need to start a sour program. My wife is into them and they are too expensive to buy on a regular basis. Luckily she likes wine more than beer.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 02:10:14 pm »
Not me, and not likely in the near future. Just love clean ales and lagers too much

+1  - some sours are great for a glass, to appreciate.  but I wouldn't want 10 gal of it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 03:00:22 pm »

+1  - some sours are great for a glass, to appreciate.  but I wouldn't want 10 gal of it.
Sounds like you've never had a Gose.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 03:05:12 pm »

I bet he has. I like all kinds of sours, including gose, but I'm with Paul: I like them in smaller amounts and less often.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:25:59 pm »
but I'm with Paul: I like them in smaller amounts and less often.

Another +1. I like and appreciate it in small quantities. Not sure if I'll keep tinkering with brewing them or just buy a good one or two occasionally. I agree with Jeff on the acid reflux thing - more than one or two doesn't agree with me.  Justin - if you're really committed to it, go for it. Different ballgame though.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 03:26:09 pm »
I use to brew a ton of sour beers including lots of blending which turned out great. In the past 2 years I have slowly been fading away from brewing them as I just wasn't drinking them as often.  I am enjoying other beer styles more though. I usually have at least one sour going in the pipeline.  Right now I have a flanders red aging on merlot soaked oak cubes in secondary.  Haven't even had a sample of it since I racked it to the secondary last September.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 03:30:27 pm »

I've had a handful of different ones.  I appreciate the craftsmanship and talent it takes to create a good one I just prefer other things. 

one thing I don't like, when judging, is the proliferation of really bad sour beers that are passed off as "its supposed to taste that way, you just don't know sour" 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 04:49:04 pm »

I've had a handful of different ones.  I appreciate the craftsmanship and talent it takes to create a good one I just prefer other things. 

one thing I don't like, when judging, is the proliferation of really bad sour beers that are passed off as "its supposed to taste that way, you just don't know sour"

Yeah, I love that explanation. Acetic acid in your face!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 05:00:03 pm »

Nail polish remover in a caged and corked 750 ml bottle.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 05:13:05 pm »

Nail polish remover in a caged and corked 750 ml bottle.

Here, try some of my acetone sour said the guy at the local club meeting.