Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirlpool vs Flavor/Aroma/Dry Hop  (Read 12673 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Whirlpool vs Flavor/Aroma/Dry Hop
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 10:21:59 am »
I'll just chime in that the last IPA was the first one that I was completely happy with the hops profile. All the late additions were in a whirlpool that was 170 to start. I have done this a bunch of times but the difference with this one was that I let the whirlpool additions ride for almost an hour, stirring quite a few times. When I tasted the gravity sample I actually decided not to dry hop it was so good.
I would think the amount of stirring action would make a difference. I have an Immersion Chiller with Tangential Inlet, so when I say whirlpool 30 min at 170, that means I chill to 170 pitch those hops and continuously pump whirlpool for 30 min at least 70. I get great results.

But then I think there are folks that chill to 170 and pitch thee hops but only stir once... they call that whirlpooling and aren't that impressed.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2016, 10:39:48 am »
Yea, I stir a lot. I'm right there cleaning up so every few minutes I get a whirlpool going.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 10:59:51 am »
In the beginning I used about an oz of high AA hops for bittering followed by maybe 1.5 oz of hops for bittering and aroma. This gave me a fairly bitter beer (maybe like Ranger) but lacking in flavor and aroma. These were around 70 IBUs.

Then I dropped the bittering to 1/2 an oz and built up the flavoring and aroma additions to 2+ oz with a better dry hop. My IBUs are generally around 100, but I don't get that bitterness I got as before and seem no more bitter than the typical SN IPAs.

Now I've added a whirlpool with usually 2-3 oz and a similar dry hop and have greatly improved the flavor and aroma. But I want more. I've been using over 1/2 a pound of hops but no more than 14 oz in roughly 5.25 gals. Some have had a fantastic hoppiness and some were lacking the punch I was after.

I'm not really wanting to use over a pound of hops, though I really need to begin buying in bulk. I have a vacuum sealed but have been skeptical of how well it keeps hops over a few months.

I've also been skeptical of omitting the late boil hops. So I've been after numbers. One of those is the amount of hops it takes. The other is its staying power (speed of decline).

My latest recipe I built is for a 6% IPA using 1/2 oz of Warrior @ 70 mins, 2 oz of Falconer's Flight @ 21 and 7 mins, and 4 for what was to be a 28 min but now 49 min whirlpool starting at 185* followed by a 7 day dry hop. Were I to move the late boil hops to the whirlpool and dry hop what could I expect? Does it change the degree of hop flavor and aroma? Does it last as long or longer?

I'm also considered moving the 21 min addition to 14 mins and splitting the aroma addition to the WP and DH. But then I'm also considering moving the DH to a cooler WP addition.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2016, 12:17:04 pm »
Yea, I stir a lot. I'm right there cleaning up so every few minutes I get a whirlpool going.

Yep. I stir thoroughly every 4 or 5 minutes of the steep, so I get a whirlpool going too. Maybe not a pump caliber continuous whirlpool but my beer tastes mighty good.
Jon H.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2016, 03:57:00 pm »
I, too, stir fairly often as well. It's certainly not continuous but it does whirl often!

Oh, I found large tea baskets at World Market that work rather well when I whirlpool and dry hop. I also use them when I "dry pepper" my beer. Were you to fill them with pellets it would likely hold about 1/2 lb. They are just $7 too!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2016, 04:15:02 pm »
I just throw my pellets in loose. They go right through the pump no problem. Once I get close to final pitching temp I kill the pump and give it about 15 min to settle. Works fine for me.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2016, 04:27:49 pm »
I, too, stir fairly often as well. It's certainly not continuous but it does whirl often!

Oh, I found large tea baskets at World Market that work rather well when I whirlpool and dry hop. I also use them when I "dry pepper" my beer. Were you to fill them with pellets it would likely hold about 1/2 lb. They are just $7 too!

How well do those hold the pellets after they break up?

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2016, 10:30:38 pm »

yeah to me flavor is an adjective for what your senses perceive-and smell and taste work together to form these sensory perceptions.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 11:26:55 am »

How well do those hold the pellets after they break up?

They do ok. It's not perfect but not too bad.