Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Aluminum Brew Pot  (Read 867 times)

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
New Aluminum Brew Pot
« on: March 01, 2016, 07:27:12 pm »
I went back and searched this forum for discussions about aluminum vs stainless steel.  Found several advocates for aluminum.

I have been brewing in aluminum for years making beers from extract.  I bought a 10 gallon aluminum heavy duty pot for boiling since I am embarking on all grain brews.  My question is:  do I need to do anything to "season" my new pot before boiling in it? Manufacturer states that I should heat it up and add cooking oil to it, cool it down, heat it up and add cooking oil to it again.

wingnut stated:

I think the oil thing is more for conventional cooking.  Not really desireable for brewing I dont think.
I never did this to my pots, and no known issues.

I woud clean it with soap and water.  Possibly boil a pot of water just to make sure nothing from machining is left over in the flavor... and brew beer.

Any further advice out there?

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
Re: New Aluminum Brew Pot
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 07:51:49 pm »
Just boil water in the pot as full as you can get it for 5 minutes...then scrub with soap and rinse...Brew away....I would not put oil in a pot used for brewing....
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: New Aluminum Brew Pot
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:01:38 pm »
Just boil water in the pot as full as you can get it for 5 minutes...then scrub with soap and rinse...Brew away....I would not put oil in a pot used for brewing....
+1  And don't soak in PBW or Oxyclean.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.