Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blood Orange Hefeweizen  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
Blood Orange Hefeweizen
« on: May 26, 2016, 12:00:49 pm »
This is what I am looking at doing for my second batch.  I don't know when I will be doing it (soon I hope).  I am still waiting a few more days to see how my IPA turns out (bottled 12 days ago).  I did want to get opinions/suggestions on this recipe before I go buy the ingredients.  My brother is the bagpiper for a Celtic Punk Band (Born Again Heathens), and he loves Hefeweizen.  Since they are a non-traditional type of band, I wanted to do this as a kind of a tribute to them, hence the name....Born Again Heathenweizen.

Born Again Heathenweizen
Weissbier
Type: Extract Date: 06 May 2016
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: Doggie Mutt Brewing
Boil Size: 6.32 gal Asst Brewer: 
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My 8 Gallon Brew Pot
End of Boil Volume 5.20 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal Est Mash Efficiency 0.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0
Taste Notes: 
Ingredients

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 1 10.3 %
6 lbs 8.0 oz LME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (3.0 SRM) Extract 2 89.7 %
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 3 -
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 9.9 IBUs
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 5 -
1.0 pkg Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) [50.28 ml] Yeast 6 -
49.00 oz Blood Orange Puree (Secondary 7.0 days) Flavor 7 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 %
Bitterness: 9.9 IBUs
Est Color: 5.6 SRM
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Blood Orange Hefeweizen
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:04:16 pm »
I haven't done extract in some time but I would recommend some simple sugar in there to help with the fermentability of the LME. Also I would use a very small amount (if any) of crystal malt in this style of beer.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:15:22 pm »
I haven't done extract in some time but I would recommend some simple sugar in there to help with the fermentability of the LME. Also I would use a very small amount (if any) of crystal malt in this style of beer.

I have no problem with dropping the Carmel malt.  It was just there to add a bit of color, but I think the color would be fine without it.  As far as adding sugar, what kind would I add? Would dropping the LME to 6# and adding 4oz of corn sugar be enough to make any difference?  It keeps the ABV the same.   I do want to keep the ABV as low as possible on this.  They do like to have a few beers over the course of a show, and don't want them to get too smashed off of it LOL.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:20:35 pm by Erik_Mog »

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 01:29:19 pm »

I have no problem with dropping the Carmel malt.  It was just there to add a bit of color, but I think the color would be fine without it.  As far as adding sugar, what kind would I add? Would dropping the LME to 6# and adding 4oz of corn sugar be enough to make any difference?  It keeps the ABV the same.   I do want to keep the ABV as low as possible on this.  They do like to have a few beers over the course of a show, and don't want them to get too smashed off of it LOL.

Corn sugar will work. I used to use plain table sugar at about 5% of the total fermentables if I remember correctly.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 01:38:26 pm »

Corn sugar will work. I used to use plain table sugar at about 5% of the total fermentables if I remember correctly.

Thank you much.  Updated recipe follows.  In your opinion, do you think this will still have the character of a Hefeweizen, or would 3# of puree in the secondary be a bit much?  I want the blood orange to be prominent, but not to the point of completely masking the base beer.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Born Again Heathenweizen
Brewer: Doggie Mutt Brewing
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weissbier
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.32 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated FG:  1.014 SG
Estimated ABV:  4.4%
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 10.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6 lbs                 LME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (3.0 SRM)    Extract       1        96.0 %       
4.0 oz                Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)          Sugar         2        4.0 %         
1.00 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)              Fining        3        -             
1.00 oz               Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min     Hop           4        10.1 IBUs     
0.50 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)          Other         5        -             
1.0 pkg               Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) [50 Yeast         6        -             
49.00 oz              Blood Orange Puree (Secondary 7.0 days)  Flavor        7        -             

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 02:01:02 pm »
I would think 3 lbs of puree is a good amount but someone else may have better advice. I use 30 oz of pureed mandarins in pale ale and it is just noticeable underneath the malt and hops. I think it is suggested to use 1-2 lbs of fruit per gallon of beer depending on the type of fruit.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 02:11:27 pm »
I would think 3 lbs of puree is a good amount but someone else may have better advice. I use 30 oz of pureed mandarins in pale ale and it is just noticeable underneath the malt and hops. I think it is suggested to use 1-2 lbs of fruit per gallon of beer depending on the type of fruit.

Thanks again.  I think I will go with the 3# and see how it does, and adjust from there if I do this one again.  Now if that darn IPA would hurry up and finish.  I want to try it.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 03:11:13 pm »
I have a blood orange tree in my backyard and do at least one brew every year. I can tell you that you will get more flavor using the zest than you will with puree. I usually try to get around the zest of 5-6 oranges for a 5gal batch. Not sure if you would still be able to find any now this late in the year but try it your way this time and next year, go grab some fresh oranges and try the zest.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 09:52:56 am »
Update:

I opened a bottle today (1 week in the bottle) just to see how it is coming along.  It is carbing nicely, but still needs another week or so to finish.  Aroma wise, definitely banana up front with some orange.  It is very drinkable with banana upfront giving way to blood orange in the finish.  It poured with about 1/2" of creamy white head, that dissipated quickly.  This may be from not being fully carbed or maybe I need to clean my glass better.  I am very pleased with this beer, and I think it will get better with another week in the bottle.  It is definitely a good ego boost after my rather dismal failure with the IPA I did.  This will be a beer that I brew on a regular basis, only as all grain (This was an all extract batch).  It did come in a little over the ABV I was going for at 5.2%, due to a higher than expected attenuation from the WB-06.

This is the final recipe I went with:
3 lbs 9.0 oz          LME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (3.0 SRM)    Extract       1        50.0 %       
1.00 oz               Vanguard [5.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           2        8.2 IBUs     
3 lbs 9.0 oz          LME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) [Boil for 10 Extract       3        50.0 %       
0.50 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)          Other         4        -             
1.0 pkg               Safbrew Wheat-per Safebrew (DCL/Fermenti Yeast         5        -             
49.00 oz              Blood Orange Puree (Secondary 7.0 days)  Flavor        6        -             

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 05:44:33 pm »
After another week in the bottle, this beer is awesome. Good aroma, flavor, body, a decent head. It goes down smooth with just a little bite from the orange. It's hard to put the glass down actually. Definitely will be a regular brew. I will post an all grain recipe for it as well, once I have given it a run.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.