Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need a little advice... (American Mild)  (Read 4870 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Need a little advice...
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 03:46:03 pm »
I'd use at least 50% of your malt as Munich.  That got me the closest I've been. 

I find that this is true for me also. One of the best Milds I made was with Paul's Mild Malt and that malt is more like a Munich malt than a pale malt, in my opinion. Since I can't get that malt at my LHBS, I do use a measure of light Munich malt to provide the flavor I think should be there.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 04:15:52 pm »
I used enough brewer's caramel to turn Pivo Pils into a dark schwarzbier, and didn't pick up a lick of flavor. I'd consider it a colorant only.

Where did you get brewer's caramel?  I haven't had luck finding it commercially in homebrewer sizes.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 04:45:28 pm »
I don't know where Eric got his, but after some googling I found a place that sells it. It was around $5 a bottle, with $17 shipping, probably from the UK. I didn't want to spend that much on an item that sounds to be just coloring.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 07:47:02 pm »
I ordered mine from the UK, and paid through the nose for shipping. It was a total impulse buy at the time. My impression is that it is essentially the same idea as Sinamar, but with even less flavor impact.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 08:09:34 am »
Thanks for the info on brewer's caramel.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 08:59:26 am »
Thanks for the info on brewer's caramel.
Here's my post from my taste and color testing when I got this in:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24192.msg308521
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 06:25:08 pm »
Ended up mashing at 156 for ~45 minutes. Went with the original recipe I outlined, we'll see what happens. I've got an hour left in the boil.

I'm going to reuse the 1450 yeast cake from my American Brown, and save the 1968 for another beer. Might be interesting to redo the beer with the original British ingredients.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 06:27:43 pm »
Update: Kegged the beer on Saturday. OG was 1.040, FG was 1.005, meaning the beer ended up being a LOT more alcoholic than I thought it would - 4.6% ABV.

That being said, it's dangerously drinkable. Very dry, but has a nice maltiness to it. Bitterness I'd call balanced to slightly bitter. I bottled it for the spring swap, we'll see how it holds up till then.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 07:21:18 pm »
Another update: Rebrewed this beer on the 18th, same exact recipe but with a one hour boil. Sadly I erred in the opposite direction this time, with too little boil off. The result was an OG 1.027 beer that's actually really surprised me. Finished at 1.004, still has good body and mouthfeel. Really pilsner like, the caramel notes are absent in this iteration. A hint of grapefruit, a touch of malt sweetness, but still very dry and quenching.

I think I'm on to something with this recipe, I've really been pleased with both beers.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:23:38 pm by Phil_M »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 06:15:40 am »
Another update: Rebrewed this beer on the 18th, same exact recipe but with a one hour boil. Sadly I erred in the opposite direction this time, with too little boil off. The result was an OG 1.027 beer that's actually really surprised me. Finished at 1.004, still has good body and mouthfeel. Really pilsner like, the caramel notes are absent in this iteration. A hint of grapefruit, a touch of malt sweetness, but still very dry and quenching.

I think I'm on to something with this recipe, I've really been pleased with both beers.

Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Need a little advice... (American Mild)
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 06:04:39 pm »
Another update for those following at home:

After fining with gelatin the beer is clearing up nicely. Definitely get some grapefruit from the Cascade hops, which I didn't get with the previous batch. Maybe the high gravity/maltiness of the prior batch covered it up? Though I brewed this batch at the local brewpub's "teach a bro to brew day" and I forgot to use my hop spider. As a result of that, and "on location" brewing, a good amount of hops ended up in the fermentor. I'm thinking the latter is the likely reason, though the result isn't a bad thing.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Need a little advice... (American Mild)
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 06:06:32 pm »
Another update for those following at home:

After fining with gelatin the beer is clearing up nicely. Definitely get some grapefruit from the Cascade hops, which I didn't get with the previous batch. Maybe the high gravity/maltiness of the prior batch covered it up? Though I brewed this batch at the local brewpub's "teach a bro to brew day" and I forgot to use my hop spider. As a result of that, and "on location" brewing, a good amount of hops ended up in the fermentor. I'm thinking the latter is the likely reason, though the result isn't a bad thing.

Sounds good to me anyway !
Jon H.