Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Habanero/Mango Pale Ale  (Read 13705 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Habanero/Mango Pale Ale
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 05:35:28 am »
I was worried about sanitizing the fruit and habanero before adding it to the secondary.  What I plan to do then is cut up a habanero and let it sit in vodka for an hour.  then put it in the secondary. With the mangoes, I was going to cube them up, put them in the freezer for at least a day.  Then , using a juicer on the cubes to get the juice.  Then add the juice to the secondary. rack the beer ontop of the juice.  Then added the habanero 3 days or so before bottling

why not make your juice, boil for sanitation, then cool covered and add the juice to your secondary?  Seems to me you are getting further from being sanitary while complicating your day.  Not that your day matters much to me, but that's not going to get you a sanitary juice in the end.
Boiling juice almost always changes its flavor, and not typically for the better. I'm not sure how much pectin is in mangoes, but it will set a pectin haze as well. I wouldn't want to boil the juice, and I honestly don't think there's a need.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 06:00:34 am »
I was worried about sanitizing the fruit and habanero before adding it to the secondary.  What I plan to do then is cut up a habanero and let it sit in vodka for an hour.  then put it in the secondary. With the mangoes, I was going to cube them up, put them in the freezer for at least a day.  Then , using a juicer on the cubes to get the juice.  Then add the juice to the secondary. rack the beer ontop of the juice.  Then added the habanero 3 days or so before bottling

why not make your juice, boil for sanitation, then cool covered and add the juice to your secondary?  Seems to me you are getting further from being sanitary while complicating your day.  Not that your day matters much to me, but that's not going to get you a sanitary juice in the end.
Boiling juice almost always changes its flavor, and not typically for the better. I'm not sure how much pectin is in mangoes, but it will set a pectin haze as well. I wouldn't want to boil the juice, and I honestly don't think there's a need.

Pasteurization is the route to take
160F/6sec
165F/3sec
170F/2sec
175F/0.5sec
180F then immediately cool
or I think you can do something crazy like 135F/30mins which would save him A CRAP LOAD of time vs a day.

Although taking the cubed, frozen, juiced mangos pitched directly into the secondary is better than the negatives of caramelized flavors from his juice? He wasn't proposing a sanitary process of putting mango juice in his hard earned product, why spoil it now, or take the risk?  Nope lets worry about pectin haze... ? I don't get it.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 06:40:09 am »

Pasteurization is the route to take
160F/6sec
165F/3sec
170F/2sec
175F/0.5sec
180F then immediately cool
or I think you can do something crazy like 135F/30mins which would save him A CRAP LOAD of time vs a day.

Although taking the cubed, frozen, juiced mangos pitched directly into the secondary is better than the negatives of caramelized flavors from his juice? He wasn't proposing a sanitary process of putting mango juice in his hard earned product, why spoil it now, or take the risk?  Nope lets worry about pectin haze... ? I don't get it.

There's really no need to sanitize the fruit when adding it to the secondary. Your pH is low enough and alcohol content is present that you don't need to worry about bacterial growth. I'm pretty sure that pasteurizing fruit isn't going to shorten a brew day at all. I toss the fruit into a paint strainer bag, tie it off, and call it a day. No need for all of that other extra non-sense. I freeze and thaw the fruit, not for sanitary reasons, but to break up the fruit membranes. If you're going to juice it, I'm not sure that I'd even freeze and thaw. If you are to just add cubed fruit, make sure that you put it in some sort of strainer bag and save yourself a headache.

I'd be concerned about changing the flavor profile of the fruit too when heating it up. I'd be afraid that it would get caramelized to some extent.
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2016, 07:31:57 am »
There's really no need to sanitize the fruit when adding it to the secondary. Your pH is low enough and alcohol content is present that you don't need to worry about bacterial growth. I'm pretty sure that pasteurizing fruit isn't going to shorten a brew day at all. I toss the fruit into a paint strainer bag, tie it off, and call it a day. No need for all of that other extra non-sense. I freeze and thaw the fruit, not for sanitary reasons, but to break up the fruit membranes. If you're going to juice it, I'm not sure that I'd even freeze and thaw. If you are to just add cubed fruit, make sure that you put it in some sort of strainer bag and save yourself a headache.

I'd be concerned about changing the flavor profile of the fruit too when heating it up. I'd be afraid that it would get caramelized to some extent.
+1 to all of this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2016, 08:17:51 am »
Is this because fungi, mold, and bacteria have never spoiled a batch in a secondary?(**Edit like gushers)  As long as you get the right pH and yeast creates ethanol you are not to worry, nothing will go wrong...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:28:40 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)