Author Topic: asian inpsired rice lager  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Re: asian inpsired rice lager
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »
^ I got to try this. I've been looking for every possible use for my stick blender.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 08:16:52 PM »
^ I got to try this. I've been looking for every possible use for my stick blender.

I have a stick blender as well, but actually just use a hand mixer (like you might use for mashed potatoes) because it doesn't destroy the rice quite as much.  Once the rice is soft and mushy it doesn't take much to break it down. You could probably use a stiff whisk and do the same.

BUT, if you need an excuse to use the stick blender then go for it, you may need a little more water to keep it fairly liquid for the stick blender. :D

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:58 PM »
Yeah, I need to use it. The weather has been too nice to make enough soup to satisfy my desire to stick blend. It's such a fun kitchen gadget.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 08:24:19 PM »
Yeah, I need to use it. The weather has been too nice to make enough soup to satisfy my desire to stick blend. It's such a fun kitchen gadget.

It certainly is. I think mine has made more soap than soups though :D

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 08:29:55 PM »
I want to make soap! Being the worry wort I am, I would likely use a separate blender for soap. At least a separate attachment.

Offline Iliff Ave Brewhouse

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 08:46:49 PM »
So I think I will be visiting the tea shop near the completion of fermentation. My plan is to cold steep the tea in the sake for a couple of days and dose the keg with as much as necessary to get the character I want. I am thinking oolong tea instead of green tea. If I sample it and it is undesirable then I don't have to use it...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:36:27 PM by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: Golsch, Iliff IPA, Hopfenbier, Salted berry cider

Fermenting: Rye Cream Ale
Up Next: G Pils, Maibock

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 08:57:39 PM »
Just got the grains and changed the recipe slightly.

75.9% Schill pilsner
20.3% flaked rice (decided to go the lazy route)
3.8% carahell

3.5 SRM

Kind of conflicted on hop amounts. I need keep the IBUs low but want some noticeable hop flavor. It should be very light bodied with light malt flavor so I could probably overpower it easily.

7 g Magnum 60 min
28 g Sterling 5 min
~20 IBU

Already outlined my plan for the sake and tea. I will add by taste to keg. Going for a very subtle character. Thanks for all of the help!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 03:21:36 PM »
I think it's an interesting idea although I would consider buying some of the interesting sake rice varieties rather than using regular flaked rice or dosing sake on the backend.
Alas, Japanese sake makers are more protective of their rice than German brewers are with their brewing secrets. I'm pretty sure that unless you're actually making sake commercially in Japan, that you're going to have a hard time getting your hands on their rice. Plus, the polishing process that is used to mill down the rice grains is not something that we have access to.

All that said, sushi rice will probably get you the closest.

At least some of the varieties are available through specialty retailers. I found a couple on Amazon but predictably they are incredibly expensive.

Sushi rice would be another good option though. I've had beer with sushi rice and the rice flavor really comes through.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 03:35:31 PM »
I think it's an interesting idea although I would consider buying some of the interesting sake rice varieties rather than using regular flaked rice or dosing sake on the backend.
Alas, Japanese sake makers are more protective of their rice than German brewers are with their brewing secrets. I'm pretty sure that unless you're actually making sake commercially in Japan, that you're going to have a hard time getting your hands on their rice. Plus, the polishing process that is used to mill down the rice grains is not something that we have access to.

All that said, sushi rice will probably get you the closest.

At least some of the varieties are available through specialty retailers. I found a couple on Amazon but predictably they are incredibly expensive.

Sushi rice would be another good option though. I've had beer with sushi rice and the rice flavor really comes through.

I have a bag of sushi rice at home but decided to pass because I just assumed any difference in flavor would be negligible and I am lazy. If I didn't have everything milled and mixed together, I would probably go that direction...

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 10:15:27 PM »
Update for anyone interested

Beer has reached an FG of 1.009. The hydrometer sample had a fruity lemon hop character from the sterling hops and as expected a very clean malt character.

Today I added 4 oz of green dragon oolong tea to 16 oz sake and placed in the fridge. I plan to keg within the next couple of days and add the the sake/tea infusion at packaging. I will try to remember to update once beer is carbed.

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 09:27:37 PM »
Not sure how but this beer works.

It needs additional time in the fridge to clarify and lager but right now I am very pleased with the character and it seems to have turned out better than I could have expected. The sake is just perceptible and adds a very nice complexity. I am not sure if the tea is recognizable however I think it is likely contributing to some bitterness and possibly some flavor. When I tasted the sake-tea infusion before adding to the keg, it was quite strong and the tea was completely overpowering the sake.

Normally when I brew something strange it doesn't turn out too well so I very happy with this pleasant surprise.

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 12:12:18 AM »

Here she is. Very happy about how this turned out. The sake and the tea both come through a lot more than I expected but not too much by any means. The tea adds a nice herbal, fruity character that is accented by the sake which is also contributing to a creamy sort of mouthfeel like what you would expect from flaked oats. I am glad that I chose this particular tea because I could have really messed it up with what I was originally going to choose. Not sure how often I will brew this but I could definitely see doing it from time to time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:15:50 AM by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 12:13:56 AM »
That's a great looking beer!
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 01:18:31 AM »
Looks good.  I did a rice lager some years back.  No sake or tea, but it was tasty.

Props on the saw.  Is it a sliding compound mitre saw?  That's one of the things I want.  My bro has one.  He'll never lend me anything.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 11:55:31 AM »
This is a cool idea. A very good local brewery, Element, makes what they call a sake IPA. It doesn't have sake in it but it made with rice and has a sake character about it.
I once took a picture of a glass of mead on my table saw. We should start a shop safety picture site or maybe ites like calendars with girls and cars.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.