Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Introduction/ newer brewer  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Bill H

• 1st Kit
Introduction/ newer brewer
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:45:20 am »
Hello Gents! and any lady brewers present. I just started to home brewing beer this year. Made my first batch and drinking it currently. It was a Porter Kit, bought from Listerman Brewing in Cincinnati, Ohio. The flavors are very good, and they keep getting better as it sits. (it wont last long, allready killed half of it, and I made it in Early Jan, 2016). Currently working on a Imperial IPA, initial gravity 1.086. One week in the fermentor, 3 to go. Way hoppy at estimated 100 IBU's.

The one thing I noticed is the lack of head, head retention in this Porter. Very very light in that area. Good Carbonation in the bottle.

I have a digital temp guage I used during both the grain 30 minute steep, wort cooldown. I had my temps on the upper 140's, low 150's in the steep. (148-152F). My 60 minute boil was what I would consider a "soft" boil. was trying like hell to prevent a boil over mess on my first try. On my IPA, I made sure my temps were a bit higher, around 155 + -2degrees. Good solid rolling boil for a hour.

I'm wondering if the temps are responsible for the lack of "head" on the final product. Everyone who has tried it so far has been positive feedback.

I join the Bloatarian Brewing club in Cincinnati. The one piece of feedback from them was to give it more time in the fermenter to allow for more dropout. (13 days in a Glass Carboy, 6.5 gallon)

When it comes to cooking, I'm quite good at it, and I look at recipes as guidelines, my wife see's them as gospel. Not quite ready to adopt that theory to homebrewing just yet, need to learn allot about the process of brewing before taking that stance. Right now Im using Kits.
Bloatarian Brewing League

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Introduction/ newer brewer
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:32:07 am »
Welcome to brewing and the AHA forum!

Check your glassware first. Dishwasher rinse, soap, oil can deflate or prevent the head forming.

Also, yeast health, the pitch and their fermentation has a lot to do with head formation and how long it stays suspended once the beer is poured.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Introduction/ newer brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:32:42 am »
Welcome!

Head retention is tough to diagnose on the internet. Post the recipe if you can.

Was it extract? Fermentation temp (of the beer, not the space the beer was fermented in)?

Offline Bill H

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 09:45:01 am »
http://listermannbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Porter.pdf

Thats the link to the recipe, all came in a kit form.

When I sanitized my bottles, they went into my dishwasher, no soap, sanitize cycle. no other dishes present.

Offline piersonm

• 1st Kit
  • Dont judge a beer by its color.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 09:46:42 am »
Hey! I am also from Cincinnati and go to Listermann for all my homebrewing needs. Try using some wheat, carafoam or some other flaked oats.  These will help with body and head retention.
He who buys good ale buys nothing else.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 09:49:51 am »
The serving glassware was what I meant. The bottles are a consideration but start with the glasses if you use beer glassware.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 09:52:47 am »
Welcome !  How warm did you ferment the porter out of curiosity? Fermentation temps that are too warm can cause a a lack of head retention. You say the beer is carbonated well but with little foam, correct?
Jon H.

Offline Bill H

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 09:54:33 am »
Are you a member of the Bloat's? I joined at the Feb Meeting. I figured for the cost of membership, the 10% savings at the local vendors on ingredients will pay back the membership cost. No Brainer , plus all the knowledge in that group is unreal. Those guys are a 1000 light years ahead of me, no questions asked!

I've visited Brew Monkeys on HArrison Ave , in Dent or Cheviot Ohio. Good selection on ingredients there as well. Lets meet up and sample each others brew!   

Offline Bill H

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:58:28 am »
Hoosier brew, it was fermented in a glass carboy, 6 gallon. Spent 13 days in there. had a good 1" + of "silt" in the bottom of the Carboy at that time.

The head retention is the same in a real glass or a plastic Solo cup.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 10:00:13 am »

Hoosier brew, it was fermented in a glass carboy, 6 gallon. Spent 13 days in there. had a good 1" + of "silt" in the bottom of the Carboy at that time.

The head retention is the same in a real glass or a plastic Solo cup.
What temp was the beer at?

Offline piersonm

• 1st Kit
  • Dont judge a beer by its color.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 10:02:38 am »
Are you a member of the Bloat's? I joined at the Feb Meeting. I figured for the cost of membership, the 10% savings at the local vendors on ingredients will pay back the membership cost. No Brainer , plus all the knowledge in that group is unreal. Those guys are a 1000 light years ahead of me, no questions asked!

No I am not a member.  I probably should be.  I know a couple of guys who are part of it.
He who buys good ale buys nothing else.

Offline Bill H

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 10:03:17 am »
between 65-68 fermenting temp. Bottles in Cool seller , about 55-60

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 10:05:07 am »
Is 65-68 the ambient temp or the temp of the actual beer during fermentation?

If ambient, the beer temp could be as much as 8° higher. Depending on the yeast, this could kill your head for sure.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 10:07:33 am »
They're asking about primary fermentation temp. Not the carbonating (priming) temp.

Offline Bill H

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 10:07:59 am »
room temp was 65-68