Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 49911 times)

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2016, 07:48:04 pm »
If that's Popcorn Sutton on that bottle...that is bad ass...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2016, 04:59:16 am »
If that's Popcorn Sutton on that bottle...that is bad ass...
Good eye!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2016, 05:46:07 am »
Had to Google that one. It sounds like his body was still warm before others cashed in on his name.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2016, 11:39:05 am »
Everyone in the white whiskey trend now claims to have been a protege of Popcorn Sutton.  There was an interesting documentary on the guy a while back - a rugged individualist to say the least....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2016, 05:37:47 pm »
A review of Phil M Brown Ale....

Appearance - Dark brown with garnet highlights when held up to light. Good clarity with moderate head
                    retention consisting of an off-white head with tight condensed bubbles.

Aroma - Immediate chocolate hits the nose with some underlying toasted malt aromatics. A very light hop 
             aroma is quickly overpowered by another wave of rich chocolate character.  No apparent esters or
            fermentation flaws.  As beer warms a light roasted coffee note emerges and a slight smokiness appears

Flavor - Smooth, toasty, sweet base malt followed by moderate chocolate notes reminiscient of malt balls
           (whoppers...). A low hop flavor comes mingles with the malt as an earthy note. Med-high bitterness
           helps the beer to finish dry. Bitter-sweet chocloate and coffee linger well into the aftertaste. Light
           fermentation esters emerge as beer warms. Balance is slightly towards dry roast finish and bitterness.
           No alcohol noted.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with low-moderate carbonation. No creaminesss, no astringency.

Overall impression - A well mad brown ale, but I think it would be better judged as a porter. I loved the
                              transition in flavor from toasty base malt to the chocolate/coffee notes followed by the
                              bitterness. This aspect kept me wanting another sip. Highly drinkable beer and I would
                              definitely brew this one again if I was Phil!  Nice job!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2016, 06:38:01 pm »

Finally put together my batch to ship to cempt1.

Locals = Off Color Brewing Scurry, Half Acre Akari Shogun, 3 Floyds Yum Yum, Moody Tongue Emporers Lemon Saison.

Mine = challenge beer bitter, bourbon stout, saison, old ale, and one other to be determined. I'm out of bombers of most stuff so it's all 12 ounces.

Worked late tonight and weedy have free time since swimbo took the kids to swimming. Spring break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2016, 07:21:22 pm »

Appearance - Dark brown with garnet highlights when held up to light. Good clarity with moderate head

Aroma - Immediate chocolate hits the nose with some underlying toasted malt aromatics. A very light hop 
             aroma is quickly overpowered by another wave of rich chocolate character.  No apparent esters or
            fermentation flaws.  As beer warms a light roasted coffee note emerges and a slight smokiness appears

Flavor - Smooth, toasty, sweet base malt followed by moderate chocolate notes reminiscient of malt balls
           (whoppers...). A low hop flavor comes mingles with the malt as an earthy note. Med-high bitterness
           helps the beer to finish dry. Bitter-sweet chocloate and coffee linger well into the aftertaste. Light
           fermentation esters emerge as beer warms. Balance is slightly towards dry roast finish and bitterness.
           No alcohol noted.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with low-moderate carbonation. No creaminesss, no astringency.

Overall impression - A well mad brown ale, but I think it would be better judged as a porter. I loved the
                              transition in flavor from toasty base malt to the chocolate/coffee notes followed by the
                              bitterness. This aspect kept me wanting another sip. Highly drinkable beer and I would

Glad you liked it! This one is on it's way to becoming my house beer. Still working out details obviously, but I think it'll stay pretty much like it is this time. I do plan on reducing the gravity a bit to make it more session-friendly, but that's really about it. Might try and dry it out a tad as well, but I'd see how it does with just lower gravity first.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2016, 06:26:03 am »

No alcohol noted.

Glad you liked it! This one is on it's way to becoming my house beer. Still working out details obviously, but I think it'll stay pretty much like it is this time. I do plan on reducing the gravity a bit to make it more session-friendly, but that's really about it. Might try and dry it out a tad as well, but I'd see how it does with just lower gravity first.

I really found it quite sessionable and dry already. What was the alcohol on it? This could totally be a house brew that stays in the rotation, especially in the fall and winter months. Very tasty.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2016, 06:36:53 am »

redzim's Bourbon Barrel Porter

[snip]

This beer is excellent. I really enjoy barrel aged beers, but more and more breweries seem to be overdoing the aging these days. This leads to beers that are overwhelmed by the barrel flavors, and these beers suffer for that. redzim has managed to keep everything balanced though, and this beer shines because of that. My wife really enjoyed this beer as well.

Phil,

Thanks for the kind review. It's always nice when a beer I think is solid, is liked by others...  and regarding the image, I though for this kind of beer I had to use either Sutton, or one of the Duck Dynasty guys!  (I'm not worried about any copyright issues as it's just homebrew...)

red

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2016, 06:39:02 am »

redzim's Bourbon Barrel Porter

Aroma:

The most apparent aroma is that of the bourbon, followed closely by that oaky smell characteristic to me of wood aged beers. There isn't enough of this to overpower a roasty steel though, and there are some hops detectable as well.

Flavor:

Again, the bourbon and wood are the most prominent players here. These give way to a smooth roasty/caramel/toffee malt backbone. This toffee flavor is certainly not diacetyl, as I don't detect any slickness in the mouthfeel. The beer however is very smooth, with a firm but soft bitterness. Again there are flits of hops, but not enough to hone in on what they might be.

Recipe details FWIW: this is just NB's St Paul Porter kit recipe, scaled up. I used Cascade hops, and Evan Williams Bourbon.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2016, 07:08:48 am »
I really found it quite sessionable and dry already. What was the alcohol on it? This could totally be a house brew that stays in the rotation, especially in the fall and winter months. Very tasty.

It seems I need stop relying on my memory, and look at my notes more. This beer was OG 1.060, and finished 1.018, so abv was about 5.5%. I thought it was closer to 6.2%.

I'd like to try and get the final gravity down to 1.014ish, and target about 5% abv.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2016, 09:02:47 am »
Can you give me a rundown of the hops you used for it?

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2016, 04:27:06 pm »
Well, Carquest (my UPS shipper) called. UPS admitted they lost Joe's package. Now they are beginning the battle to get me reimbursement. Not holding my breath. Meanwhile, sorry Joe. But your swap package will be way late. Unless I simply bow out and Hickory ships to Joe.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2016, 04:58:15 pm »
Well, Carquest (my UPS shipper) called. UPS admitted they lost Joe's package. Now they are beginning the battle to get me reimbursement. Not holding my breath. Meanwhile, sorry Joe. But your swap package will be way late. Unless I simply bow out and Hickory ships to Joe.

I'm bummed.  I was excited.

I'm still working on packaging mine. In the sense that I need to get to it.

Working long hours the next week or so.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton