Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 49921 times)

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2016, 01:07:59 pm »
Just got my package in from pete b. By random luck it came on a rare weekday off for me. Aside from the beer and mead I got hooked up with some honey and some malt for an upcoming Viennaish lager from Valley Malt. Thanks, Pete!

Here's the gratuitous money shot:

Looks like you are playing some music from THE BEST BAND EVER. Seriously the sword is by far my favorite band!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2016, 04:50:55 pm »
My dad built me a "Lego table" that I kept all of my Legos on when I was little. It was awesome. It was just an old pink Formica countertop with casters on it that I could slide out from under my bed. I had a whole Lego city under there.  8)

Apparently the Lego table helped me keep my Legos off of the floor so my parents wouldn't step on them.  ;)

Probably why your brewhouse is so organized too...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2016, 06:26:05 pm »
Looks like you are playing some music from THE BEST BAND EVER. Seriously the sword is by far my favorite band!
Yep, that's my "Gloom, Doom and Stone" Pandora station. I'm a big fan of the Sword, too. Was psyched to see them open for Metallica & Machine Head a few years back.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2016, 06:39:32 pm »
Tonight I'm enjoying a Grapefruit IPA from pete b. It is quite clear with just a faint hint of hop haze (or maybe citrus oil haze?). The color is amber/copper that appears to have a faint pinkish-stained hue. At least that's what I'm seeing - no clue if the grapefruits were pink or white (sorry no pic!)

The nose has a great juicy citrus and stonefruit aroma. It reminds me a bit of a fruit juice cocktail. I could see this being served in a tiki glass garnished with an umbrella. On the palate I get citrus and a bit of toasty/bready malt, that quickly turns into a clinging resin note down the center of the tongue. The bitterness is firm, but not harsh. The finish is crisp, with a lingering resinous bite.

This is a really nice IPA. The grapefruit character is present, but well-balanced with the hops. It is hard to tell where the grapefruit stops and the hops begin, which is really the butter zone for this type of citrus IPA.  My personal preference would be to roll back the resin character a bit, but that's just where my palate has been as of late. But frankly, this is a damn good beer. If a small brewery put out a beer like this, it could easily be a flagship brew. Killer beer, Pete!
Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #184 on: April 29, 2016, 06:48:25 pm »
Yep, that's my "Gloom, Doom and Stone" Pandora station. I'm a big fan of the Sword, too. Was psyched to see them open for Metallica & Machine Head a few years back.
I just recently noticed an "add variety" button on Pandora while putting on my Allman Brothers station. I now have an Allman Brothers/Dr Dre station. It's interesting. I used to listen to Mettalica and other metal quite a bit but it hasn't withstood the test of time for me. I really need to be in the mood and it's not too often. Actually Eric I wonder if we were at the same show way back: Metallica's And Justice... Tour with Ynwe Malmsteen at the Providence Civic Center. 1989 maybe? We actually happened to be walking past the Biltmore and found ourselves between the limos and the hotel door and Kirk and James walked by. They chatted for a minute and seemed quite nice.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2016, 06:49:36 pm »
Tonight I'm enjoying a Grapefruit IPA from pete b. It is quite clear with just a faint hint of hop haze (or maybe citrus oil haze?). The color is amber/copper that appears to have a faint pinkish-stained hue. At least that's what I'm seeing - no clue if the grapefruits were pink or white (sorry no pic!)

The nose has a great juicy citrus and stonefruit aroma. It reminds me a bit of a fruit juice cocktail. I could see this being served in a tiki glass garnished with an umbrella. On the palate I get citrus and a bit of toasty/bready malt, that quickly turns into a clinging resin note down the center of the tongue. The bitterness is firm, but not harsh. The finish is crisp, with a lingering resinous bite.

This is a really nice IPA. The grapefruit character is present, but well-balanced with the hops. It is hard to tell where the grapefruit stops and the hops begin, which is really the butter zone for this type of citrus IPA.  My personal preference would be to roll back the resin character a bit, but that's just where my palate has been as of late. But frankly, this is a damn good beer. If a small brewery put out a beer like this, it could easily be a flagship brew. Killer beer, Pete!

Sounds great! Nice review, Eric!
Frank

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #186 on: April 29, 2016, 06:56:54 pm »

Glad you dig it Eric. I know what you mean by not knowing where the hops begins and grapefruit ends. It actually reeked of grapefruit before adding the grapefruit. It was pink grapefruit.
The resin is more pronounced in this than a version I made a couple months ago that didn't have as much centennial in the whirlpool. Frankly I enjoy the resin character right now but it is pretty in your face. I think the grapefruit oils may accentuate it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2016, 07:10:46 pm »
I just recently noticed an "add variety" button on Pandora while putting on my Allman Brothers station. I now have an Allman Brothers/Dr Dre station. It's interesting. I used to listen to Mettalica and other metal quite a bit but it hasn't withstood the test of time for me. I really need to be in the mood and it's not too often. Actually Eric I wonder if we were at the same show way back: Metallica's And Justice... Tour with Ynwe Malmsteen at the Providence Civic Center. 1989 maybe? We actually happened to be walking past the Biltmore and found ourselves between the limos and the hotel door and Kirk and James walked by. They chatted for a minute and seemed quite nice.
That was junior high time frame for me and I wasn't quite in my concert-going prime yet. Actually, even though Metallica was (and still pretty much is) my favorite band growing up, I never got to see them live until the most recent tour.
Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #188 on: April 29, 2016, 07:29:10 pm »
That was junior high time frame for me and I wasn't quite in my concert-going prime yet. Actually, even though Metallica was (and still pretty much is) my favorite band growing up, I never got to see them live until the most recent tour.
Whippersnapper!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #189 on: April 29, 2016, 07:45:16 pm »
FWIW I saw Metallica open up for a semi-horrible 80s band (WASP) in a tiny club in Indy right after Ride The Lightning came out. They were UBER-intense then. Like maybe 400 people tops. Really cool in hindsight. Shook hands with James, though it wasn't very hard that night. I saw Metallica 5 times (I think) all together. Being a music lover I've seen a pretty cool variety of stuff, but that was a cool thing. I think the loudest show I've ever heard, ever. In comparison I like mellower stuff in my old age.....for the most part. Not always.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #190 on: April 29, 2016, 07:52:57 pm »
FWIW I saw Metallica open up for a semi-horrible 80s band (WASP) in a tiny club in Indy right after Ride The Lightning came out. They were UBER-intense then. Like maybe 400 people tops. Really cool in hindsight. Shook hands with James, though it wasn't very hard that night. I saw Metallica 5 times (I think) all together. Being a music lover I've seen a pretty cool variety of stuff, but that was a cool thing. I think the loudest show I've ever heard, ever. In comparison I like mellower stuff in my old age.....for the most part. Not always.
Loudest concert I ever heard by far was Ritchie Blackmore. He was playing a club gig, but had his full arena rig going full blast. We were wearing earplugs and left about 5 songs in because it still hurt our ears.
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2016, 08:01:41 pm »
Loudest concert I ever heard by far was Ritchie Blackmore. He was playing a club gig, but had his full arena rig going full blast. We were wearing earplugs and left about 5 songs in because it still hurt our ears.

Such an underrated guitar player.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #192 on: April 29, 2016, 08:04:47 pm »
Oak Aged Jai Alai.  Thanks Jeffy!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #193 on: May 01, 2016, 02:50:13 pm »
An afternoon stout review for PhilM...

Appearance - dark brown (mahogany) with reddish hues, good clarity with minimal head consisting of large
                     bubbles that drop quickly back into the beer

Aroma - Bittersweet chocolate with light coffee notes dominate over a moderate grainy roastiness with light
            esters, no hops, no DMS, no diacetyl.

Flavor - Toasty malt offset by a dry roast and light chocolate note in the finish. No apparent hop flavor with a
           medium-low hop bitterness. Roasted notes help keep the beer finishing dry and a light caramel note
           lingers.

Mouthfeel - Med-light body with very minimal carbonation. Light alcohol warming, no astringency.

Overall - Another sessionable offering from PhilM. A bit more CO2 would enhance the aroma and help make
             the flavor pop a bit more. I enjoyed the use of the mixed roasted malts which were not overdone as
           can be in some stouts. Wish I had paired this with some good dark chocolate or even a fat slice of
            chocolate cake.

BTW, had the Duclaw Barleywine the other day and it was delicious!  Well balanced bourbon/oak with the base
beer.  Wish I had access to more of their stuff. I would be doing some vertical tastings for sure.  Thanks again!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2016, 04:57:41 pm »
Joe Sr

UPS coughed up for the lost package. I'm going to bottle my Stout in a week, along with a decent Mandarina Bavaria APA. I think that will get me up to 3 of mine, plus Challenge Beer, and I'll see what kind of locals I can scrounge up. So, with any luck at all we will get you hooked up by mid May.