Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 50475 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2016, 12:09:51 pm »
I forgot to answer your question about hops:spalt and hallertau. I meant to ask you a question. I didn't try to make a specific style so what did it come across as to you? German Pilsner? It's 100% Pilsner malt (valley malt), 1.055-1.010, wy2124.
It's somewhere between a German Pils and a Bohemian Pils to my palate. The diacetyl gives a softness that fits a Bo Pils, but the bitterness is closer to a German Pils. It doesn't fit either style perfectly, and if you made any tweaks the next time you brewed it you could send it in either direction.

The hops definitely took the lead in this beer, but the malt character was really nice. I'm looking forward to brewing with the malt you sent me. I tasted the Biscuit Wheat malt and I just wanted to pour it in a bowl with some hot milk and eat it all on the spot.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2016, 12:24:14 pm »
I forgot to answer your question about hops:spalt and hallertau. I meant to ask you a question. I didn't try to make a specific style so what did it come across as to you? German Pilsner? It's 100% Pilsner malt (valley malt), 1.055-1.010, wy2124.
It's somewhere between a German Pils and a Bohemian Pils to my palate. The diacetyl gives a softness that fits a Bo Pils, but the bitterness is closer to a German Pils. It doesn't fit either style perfectly, and if you made any tweaks the next time you brewed it you could send it in either direction.

The hops definitely took the lead in this beer, but the malt character was really nice. I'm looking forward to brewing with the malt you sent me. I tasted the Biscuit Wheat malt and I just wanted to pour it in a bowl with some hot milk and eat it all on the spot.
Thanks Eric.
I have been liking their malt. I wasn't able to offer you the cherry wood smoked malt because there wasn't enough for both of us but I plan on a cherrywood smoked porter next.

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2016, 12:27:25 pm »
but I plan on a cherrywood smoked porter next.

That sounds pretty tasty, Pete !
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2016, 01:01:36 pm »
but I plan on a cherrywood smoked porter next.

That sounds pretty tasty, Pete !
Cool thing is that Frank just sent me a cherrywood smoked porter.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2016, 01:45:33 pm »
UPS tracking says your package has been delivered @peteb, does everything appear to be intact?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2016, 01:47:18 pm »
UPS tracking says your package has been delivered @peteb, does everything appear to be intact?
Yep! I had it delivered to work and I put it in the walk in cooler with my car keys so I can't forget it. (Not that I would). Box is dry and undamaged.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2016, 01:55:41 pm »
Beautiful. As I said earlier here or in PM, I'm open to your critique so don't hold back. I already know some of the shortcomings and would have sent better if they were bottled and ready to go. Schedule just got a little quirky in the last month or 2 so I was behind.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2016, 02:52:15 pm »
JT- will be getting to your beers next few days into weekend...looking forward to them.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2016, 06:48:19 pm »
From Jeffy's box.  Disclaimer: I'm not a beer judge. Just a guy that likes beer!

Imperial Porter
Aroma: greeted with dark chocolate, some dark fruit.  Smells like a treat, I want to take a sip, but first...
Appearance: bottle was generously filled, very little headspace.  Poured dark brown, almost black, but holding my glass to the setting sunlight there are ruby highlights.  A tan head stayed around for a bit before fading to a ring that stayed for the duration. 
Flavor: at last! Sweet dark, chocolate with slight roast and bitterness to balance.  This is one of those beers that you suspect is high in alcohol, but you can't taste it.  Dangerous!  Tastes like a treat.  No diacetyl or other off flavors.  Clean fermentation.
Mouthfeel: This beer is full with a creamy mouthfeel.  No harshness or astringency.  Slightly warming, but no hot alcohol. 
Overall impression:  Tonight is cold and windy in Ohio.  A storm just passed through.  I'd love to build a fire and sip another glass of this beer.  Well done, thank you Jeff!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:50:05 pm by JT »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2016, 07:16:00 pm »
Nice!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2016, 05:13:36 am »
From Jeffy's box.  Disclaimer: I'm not a beer judge. Just a guy that likes beer!

Imperial Porter
Aroma: greeted with dark chocolate, some dark fruit.  Smells like a treat, I want to take a sip, but first...
Appearance: bottle was generously filled, very little headspace.  Poured dark brown, almost black, but holding my glass to the setting sunlight there are ruby highlights.  A tan head stayed around for a bit before fading to a ring that stayed for the duration. 
Flavor: at last! Sweet dark, chocolate with slight roast and bitterness to balance.  This is one of those beers that you suspect is high in alcohol, but you can't taste it.  Dangerous!  Tastes like a treat.  No diacetyl or other off flavors.  Clean fermentation.
Mouthfeel: This beer is full with a creamy mouthfeel.  No harshness or astringency.  Slightly warming, but no hot alcohol. 
Overall impression:  Tonight is cold and windy in Ohio.  A storm just passed through.  I'd love to build a fire and sip another glass of this beer.  Well done, thank you Jeff!

Nice presentation!  I felt this one was a bit underattenuated for my taste.  The other versions (whiskey bbl and coffee) seemed to cut the sweetness a little better.
I am glad you seem to be enjoying it though.  Cheers!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2016, 05:16:49 am »
Looks delicious. And nice aloe plant.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2016, 12:45:44 pm »
I received Mort's box today, which included not only two large commercial beers and three homebrews, but some homemade maple syrup as well.  Very nice!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »
I received Mort's box today, which included not only two large commercial beers and three homebrews, but some homemade maple syrup as well.  Very nice!

glad to hear it made it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2016, 06:13:37 pm »

Tried my first beer from Eric today. Quick disclaimer: I have been a picky eater all my life. I didn't have my first steak until my honeymoon at 22 years old. I can count how many burgers I've had in my life on 2 hands. My abilities to deceive flavors are pretty limited to the minimal exposure I've had as a picky eater.
Now, the first beer I tried was his challenge beer, which he describes as a Marzen style lager.

Appearance was a orange-ish copper color. Slightly hazy, but I didn't give it long to settle in the fridge. White head quickly faded to thin lacing. Aroma was a sweet malty nose with a faint hint of earthiness. Flavor was semi-sweet malt. There was a nice sting from the carbonation, which I really enjoyed. Didn't get any detection of hop aroma or flavor. Bitterness was just enough for balance. There was a flavor/mouthfeel that I have struggled to describe. After finishing the beer the best I could come up with was the aftertaste of an apple.
Overall I enjoyed the beer a lot. Thanks for sending it Eric. Look forward to diving into another one after dinner tonight.