Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 50466 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #270 on: May 12, 2016, 03:26:51 pm »
Scio/ wellsville. Know your area well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #271 on: May 12, 2016, 03:58:28 pm »
Scio/ wellsville. Know your area well

Ha!  Classic local area.  I went to high school in Geneseo and we used to play a lot of Sectional tournament games in Scio.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #272 on: May 12, 2016, 04:02:00 pm »
Yes we played sectional games there for baseball and soccer.

I went and graduated from scio in 1989.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #273 on: May 12, 2016, 04:07:06 pm »
I am a bit behind you.  Graduated in 94. Remember your fields well.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2016, 08:36:54 pm »
JT's American wheat with rye.

waiting on the grist and yeast used-this is a very quaffable quenching American wheat. Great thick foam that slowly settles to nice thin cap. highly carbonated as I would expect from this style. nice golden yellow color and there's slight haze with no sediment. the esters are very slight yet the yeast dominates in aroma and taste. I'm not picking up very much rye-and that might have been the intent so no issue there for me. the body and mouthfeel is just right and the finish is nice and crisp with little tartness. this almost starts to remind me of a blonde....really enjoyed this beer. nicely done and good luck keeping this one for very long!

Glad you liked it Ken.  Recipe credit goes to Jamil on this beer though.  It's basically his Kent's Hollow Leg rye variant recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. 
50% Rahr Pale Ale Malt
25% Weyermann Wheat Malt
25% Weyermann Rye Malt
1 oz Willamette first wort
.3 oz Willamette 5 min
.3 oz Centennial flame out
WLP 320 or Wyeast 1010 (I failed to note which one I used and don't remember)

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #275 on: May 13, 2016, 01:28:14 pm »
Hey Jim! Been trying to get ahold of you. I'm having trouble shipping out to you. Check your pm's and get back to me.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #276 on: May 13, 2016, 02:44:45 pm »
Hey Jim! Been trying to get ahold of you. I'm having trouble shipping out to you. Check your pm's and get back to me.
Sent you a PM

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2016, 06:08:04 am »
I had Frank's IPA and Double Brown Hazelnut Ale last weekend and meant to post right away so didn't take notes, but I remember both.
The IPA was a nice orange color, fairly clear for an IPA, with a medium size white head which dissipated slowly and had nice lacing. It had excellent hops aroma, heavy on the citrus. The flavor was also dominated by citrus hop flavor, grapefruit and oranges more than lemon to my palate. The malt profile was nice, not two sweet but not flabby either, it supported the hops starring role nicely. The finish was a firm but not overbearing bitterness with lingering citrus. Nice and dry at the end. I can see why this is Frank's house IPA and it definitely tasted like a finished recipe, I would gladly pay for a six pack of this to await me in the fridge after working outside on a Saturday afternoon.

The Hazelnut Brown was a beautiful reddish brown, pretty dark, almost mahogany as I remember with a head of fine bubbles that subsided quickly. The aroma was sweet malt and Hazelnut. No hops aroma that I could pick up.The taste again was led by a sweet, rich malt flavor which was quickly joined by the Hazelnut and I didn't get much if any bitterness. The Hazelnut was nice, I assume it was extract and a heavy hand could have easily made this beer go south but it was just right for the body and sweetness of this beer. Speaking of body this beer did have a very smooth, full mouthfeel. I could picture this beer reading a book in front of the fireplace accompanied by a little neat rye or scotch as my only libation on a relaxing winter evening. The one piece of feedback I have is that this beer is a bit sweeter than I would shoot for given my tastes and maybe I would shoot for a little bitter in the finish.
Thanks Frank, I'm enjoying your beer and have one left, probably for tonight.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2016, 08:42:06 am »
Thanks so much for the great reviews Pete. The IPA came straight from these pages, maybe f Mader's grist or erockrph. 75/20/5 2row, munich I, and victory. Bittered with Columbus and generous portions of amarillo, citra, Centennial and Simcoe throughout.
The brown is still too sweet for me as well. The missus loves it although she told me 2 nights ago that she felt this iteration was a lot more bitter than my previous 2 attempts.  It has a large portion of honey malt in it and my next attempt will be greatly reducing that. The local brewer tells me that they use either magnum or northern brewer for bittering. He also said it doesn't matter which, as they really aren't going for a bitterness factor. I agree with you though and will likely go higher in the future. They market it as 30 IBUS in a 1.100 OG brew at 10%. I have struggled to find the right combination to hit that attenuation, first attempt did not finish and was really sweet. Second wound up close to 11% ABV. This batch started a little short at 1.096 but finished around 1.012 I think. So again should be much drier than it drinks. I really think the honey malt is throwing it off. Thanks again for the reviews and I am glad you enjoyed them. Just waking up, I had a hard time remembering what was left, but now I know it's Jamil Z's Evil Twin. Second time for that brew and I am really liking it, hope you do too.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #279 on: May 15, 2016, 01:04:32 pm »
  [/URL][/img]
I am enjoying another of the commercial beers that Morticai sent.  This one is an American Sour with Cherries, a collaboration with Pink Boots Society, brewed at Hogback Mountain.
It pours with a big slightly pink mostly white head that fades quickly, but still leaves nice lacework.  The beer has a bit of chill haze - it seems to clear up in the glass and on the second pour as I am drinking.  It has a pretty pink color.
Aromas are very light, with no real sourness or cherries - my wife says, "honey on toast".
Flavor is very tart, I think mostly from the cherries, but has some added complexity from the fermentation.  Cherry flavor is low as is the bready malt contribution.  Finish is dry and tart.  Medium-thin body, smooth CO2 and a puckering finish.
This is a very refreshing beer. 
I wonder if Pink Boots made this same beer all over the country or if they changed it up in different breweries?  I may have seen a version of it somewhere else.
Thanks, Morticai!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #280 on: May 15, 2016, 01:08:01 pm »
So, I am attempting to use photobucket for pictures and have in the past been able to paste the location between the img's of the photo mona lisa icon, but not so anymore.  What is everyone else using?
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #281 on: May 15, 2016, 01:10:05 pm »
So, I am attempting to use photobucket for pictures and have in the past been able to paste the location between the img's of the photo mona lisa icon, but not so anymore.  What is everyone else using?

I use photobucket Jeff - I copy the 'Direct' link and paste it as usual. The direct one is the only link that pastes correctly for me.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #282 on: May 15, 2016, 01:21:33 pm »
Tapatalk smartphone app.  Took me a bit to get used to the app, but once you do it is by far the easiest.  No more uploading your pics to a separate server then copying the address and pasting it to a thread. 
Simply touch the image icon in the app and select the picture on your phone.  Done. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #283 on: May 15, 2016, 01:22:44 pm »
Tapatalk smartphone app.  Took me a bit to get used to the app, but once you do it is by far the easiest.  No more uploading your pics to a separate server then copying the address and pasting it to a thread. 
Simply touch the image icon in the app and select the picture on your phone.  Done.
Yup

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #284 on: May 15, 2016, 01:33:50 pm »

This is not a test.  This is the real thing.
I cannot find a "direct" link.  It really should have copied and pasted into the frame, but no.
I will look into Tapatalk.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:35:57 pm by jeffy »
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995