Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 50068 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #315 on: May 23, 2016, 01:40:41 pm »
I am enjoying another of Morticai's beers.  This one is marked "2 year and 1 year mixed ferment aged in oak".
It poured with little to no head, has a medium copper or dark gold color and is very clear.  Almost no legs or foam.
Aroma is honey and herbal, like an Indian spice, similar to coriander, but hard to pinpoint.
Oak is very apparent in the initial sip, then it kind of reminds me of the flavor of cream soda - not so much the sweetness as much as a honey/birch flavor.  It has a light sour finish, more lactic than acetic, not puckering, but leaving a little slickness in the finish.
More CO2 would definitely change this beer for the better - I think he transferred this from a keg and may have lost some carbonation in the process.
As I said, I am enjoying this beer and I think it would be fantastic with more CO2.

yeah the bottling from the keg is killing me.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2016, 01:47:39 pm »
By the way Joe Sr, no holds barred on your feedback. I'm thick skinned and want to know what you really think

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #317 on: May 23, 2016, 01:58:14 pm »
By the way Joe Sr, no holds barred on your feedback. I'm thick skinned and want to know what you really think

Gotcha.  Drank the Dark Muse on Friday while brewing.  Shared with the wife.    Delicious and right up my (our) alley.  The wife loves Dragon's Milk, Fade to Black, and several other stouts, imperial and otherwise.

Have some notes at home that I'll get to.  Long weekend with spring cleaning and all that.

I think I'll save your NHC stout so I can savor it when you take gold.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #318 on: May 23, 2016, 06:47:45 pm »

Gotcha.  Drank the Dark Muse on Friday while brewing.  Shared with the wife.    Delicious and right up my (our) alley.  The wife loves Dragon's Milk, Fade to Black, and several other stouts, imperial and otherwise.

Have some notes at home that I'll get to.  Long weekend with spring cleaning and all that.

I think I'll save your NHC stout so I can savor it when you take gold.
Lol, ya right

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #319 on: May 24, 2016, 05:51:06 am »
My last review is of Frank's Evil Twin clone. I have never had an Evil Twin, so not comparing it to original. When pouring this beer I poured harder near the end to maximize head and there was more sediment than I realized which I got into my beer and clouded it up. This was a shame because it was a nice red color that would have been gorgeous if clear. Maybe Frank can post a picture of a properly poured one.
The beer had a nice white head that subsided slowly with nice lacing. The aroma was hop forward, citrusey and a hint of pine and some grainy malt. The flavor was initially of the citrus hops quickly giving way to malty cereal but not too sweet. No bitter finish. Frank said this was all late hops, no bittering charge. He definitely pulled that off. The grain bill seemed light on the crystal and more grainy so the light bitterness from the late hops was all that was needed. I need to make a beer that gets all its bitterness from late hops this summer. This was just insanely drinkable.
Thanks for all the great homebrew and locals Frank!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #320 on: May 24, 2016, 03:43:38 pm »
Pete, you're welcome, and thanks for the praise. You are too kind. That recipe is from Jamil Z, here is a link from mrmalty.com:
http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

It has a heavy base of Maris Otter, I used Simpson's Glenn Eagle MO, with crystal 40, 120, pale chocolate, some victory, and some Munich. the first charge of hops is at 20 minutes and its all Centennial and Amarillo from there on. I did dry hop it with more of each as he suggests you may do "if you're a real hop monster." The first time I made this brew was with extract and steeping grains and I liked it. It is even better this time as an all grain recipe. I had almost 10oz of hops in there after dry hopping and all the hops were 2013 or 2014 crop, kept vacuum sealed in my freezer, so I guess they are holding up
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #321 on: May 24, 2016, 06:44:35 pm »
Pete, here's a pic for you. Let's just say I think I do a better job with the beer than I do with the camera phone. It really is a lot clearer than this pic shows,  but it does have a great head with starting down the side of the glass then straight down the middle as you get through the pour. Do have to be careful with the dregs though
Guess I ought to include the pic I am talking about
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2016, 05:25:07 am »
Pete, here's a pic for you. Let's just say I think I do a better job with the beer than I do with the camera phone. It really is a lot clearer than this pic shows,  but it does have a great head with starting down the side of the glass then straight down the middle as you get through the pour. Do have to be careful with the dregs though
Guess I ought to include the pic I am talking about

I get a sense of the color at the bottom there. I was pissed at myself for the pour, I'm usually a good judge of when to stop the pour.I knew it was bottle conditioned.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #323 on: May 27, 2016, 08:27:45 am »
We drank the Dark Muse imperial stout sent by Jim last week.  Brewed by Worthy brewing.

It's appearance is opaque black with a tan long lasting head. Roast malt aromas with very little hop presence.

Flavor was molasses and honey. No assertive hop bitterness but a mild bitter aftertaste, probably the roast malt.

It coats the mouth. Thick and silky. Very nice.

10% abv but the alcohol is not obvious in the taste. My wife said she felt it in her knees though.

Hoping to get to a couple more this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #324 on: May 27, 2016, 10:42:00 am »
Felt in in the knees... thats awesome

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #325 on: May 28, 2016, 06:05:37 am »
Here's my review of Rob_F's German Pilsner. (wrote it yesterday, just getting to posting today)

OG 1.047, FG 1.015, dated 2/2/16

Appearance: a little cloudy – maybe some chill haze in there, but clear otherwise, and glowing straw in color

Aroma: nice floral noble hops, missing that typical German “it” aroma but I’ve never been able to replicate that in my Pilsners and some say it’s oxidation anyways, right? (no flame wars meant to be started here ;))

Taste: right away I get a hint of green apple, but it gives way to a nice firm bitter taste and a good dry finish. Not quite as dry as  a Jever but I’d say more bitter than your typical mass-market Bitburger or Warsteiner. Maybe more in Radeberger territory. Anyways, with the FG listed as 1.015, I didn’t expect it to taste this crisp, but it does, which goes to show that sometimes numbers lie. (73.6% of all statistics are made up, right?) . . .   so this bitterness (a good dry Pils bitterness, not kick-in-the-pants IPA bitterness) lingers nicely for some minutes after the sip, but it’s not astringent or off in any way that I can tell

Overall: a really solid German Pils. I’m having this at the end of Friday afternoon, when the temps have been in the 90s for a couple days here in the Hudson Valley of New York – a very early mini-heatwave that we’re not usually for ready for until July – so that may be coloring my enjoyment of this beer, but it is really hitting the spot. Nice job, Rob. 

(If you care to share the info, can you send me your mash info, hopping schedule, yeast strain, and water recipe, etc, by PM?)

-red

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #326 on: May 30, 2016, 03:07:47 pm »
Memorial Day afternoon and I am having the last of the beers that Morticai sent my way.  This one is marked "2012 Maple Barleywine". 
It pours with very low foam, very clear dark amber color with constant effervescence. 
The maple aroma is a bit stronger in this than the newer sample he sent.  There is significant alcohol presence, in aroma, flavor and mouthfeel, but it is not hot or off-putting.  Aroma has a big caramel and dark bread aspect, but also has a fairly strong dark fruit side - plums maybe.  Very low to no hop aroma.  It smells clean and strong and is balanced to malt.
The flavor is similar to the aroma with dark bread and maple, but it is followed by a good dose of fruit, reminding me of brûléed dates or figs.  Hop flavor is strong, but stays in the background behind the malt and esters.  Finish is well balanced with enough hop bitterness to balance the malt sweetness.
Man, what a nice beer.  Thanks for sharing!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2016, 12:12:52 pm »
Memorial Day afternoon and I am having the last of the beers that Morticai sent my way.  This one is marked "2012 Maple Barleywine". 
It pours with very low foam, very clear dark amber color with constant effervescence. 
The maple aroma is a bit stronger in this than the newer sample he sent.  There is significant alcohol presence, in aroma, flavor and mouthfeel, but it is not hot or off-putting.  Aroma has a big caramel and dark bread aspect, but also has a fairly strong dark fruit side - plums maybe.  Very low to no hop aroma.  It smells clean and strong and is balanced to malt.
The flavor is similar to the aroma with dark bread and maple, but it is followed by a good dose of fruit, reminding me of brûléed dates or figs.  Hop flavor is strong, but stays in the background behind the malt and esters.  Finish is well balanced with enough hop bitterness to balance the malt sweetness.
Man, what a nice beer.  Thanks for sharing!
glad you enjoyed it! I've been really enjoying the 2012 lately. I think it's approaching it's peak but I'll hang on to a few bottles just to be sure.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #328 on: June 02, 2016, 05:23:04 pm »
From Jeffy's box.  Disclaimer: I'm not a beer judge. Just a guy that likes beer!

Imperial Porter
Aroma: greeted with dark chocolate, some dark fruit.  Smells like a treat, I want to take a sip, but first...
Appearance: bottle was generously filled, very little headspace.  Poured dark brown, almost black, but holding my glass to the setting sunlight there are ruby highlights.  A tan head stayed around for a bit before fading to a ring that stayed for the duration. 
Flavor: at last! Sweet dark, chocolate with slight roast and bitterness to balance.  This is one of those beers that you suspect is high in alcohol, but you can't taste it.  Dangerous!  Tastes like a treat.  No diacetyl or other off flavors.  Clean fermentation.
Mouthfeel: This beer is full with a creamy mouthfeel.  No harshness or astringency.  Slightly warming, but no hot alcohol. 
Overall impression:  Tonight is cold and windy in Ohio.  A storm just passed through.  I'd love to build a fire and sip another glass of this beer.  Well done, thank you Jeff!

Jeffy's bourbon imperial porter.  I actually drank this some time ago, but forgot to post.  Great beer.

Aroma: Amazing the aroma that a little bourbon will bring out.  I picked up toffee and caramel.  Very pleasant. 

Appearance: Very similar to the previous 2 versions, except the head faded to a thin ring instead of sticking around. 

Flavor: Light roast, faint bourbon, toffee and toasted bread crust.  The flavors linger into the aftertaste, very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Similar to the original, but some light alcohol from the bourbon present (no burning).   

Thanks Jeffy!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #329 on: June 02, 2016, 06:29:36 pm »
Jeffy's Old Ale.  I love this beer.  It made me open up the style guidelines and read, so I learned some things along with drinking a tasty beer that was brewed 950 miles away. 

Aroma:  When I first smelled this beer, I thought: bourbon and Brett.  That eventually gave way to dark fruit and molasses.

Appearance:  The bottle was filled almost completely to the cap.  No hiss on opening, and the beer poured with very little head.  Color is dark brown.  Being the nerd I am, I re-poured a bit into a thinner tasting glass and can see the obvious clarity.  Off topic- why is appearance listed after aroma on the judging scoresheets??  Don't most of us see the beer before we smell it?  Some may jam the bottle up their nose after opening, but dont most pour first??  Back on topic- there's a very slight ring of foam on the edge of my glass as I drink the beer, which lead us to:

Flavor:  the dark fruit is evident, along with some aged wine.  I imagine this beer was heavier on the molasses side before the Brettanomyces took hold, as the molasses was still evident in the background.  The Brett provides a lightly tart  bite and finish. 

Mouthfeel:  low carbonation, but still present.  Brett must have taken hold prior to bottling.  It thinned out the mouthfeel a bit, but not too much.  No diacetyl. 

Overall:  I'm not quite done with my glass, this beer wants to be sipped (duh, it's an Old Alle, but I'm usually a fast drinker).  As a sipper it has a ton of complexity and is very enjoyable.  It allowed me to stop, reflect, even research and most definitely appreciate.