Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 50053 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2016, 06:31:54 am »
Jeffy's Old Ale.  I love this beer.  It made me open up the style guidelines and read, so I learned some things along with drinking a tasty beer that was brewed 950 miles away. 

Aroma:  When I first smelled this beer, I thought: bourbon and Brett.  That eventually gave way to dark fruit and molasses.

Appearance:  The bottle was filled almost completely to the cap.  No hiss on opening, and the beer poured with very little head.  Color is dark brown.  Being the nerd I am, I re-poured a bit into a thinner tasting glass and can see the obvious clarity.  Off topic- why is appearance listed after aroma on the judging scoresheets??  Don't most of us see the beer before we smell it?  Some may jam the bottle up their nose after opening, but dont most pour first??  Back on topic- there's a very slight ring of foam on the edge of my glass as I drink the beer, which lead us to:

Flavor:  the dark fruit is evident, along with some aged wine.  I imagine this beer was heavier on the molasses side before the Brettanomyces took hold, as the molasses was still evident in the background.  The Brett provides a lightly tart  bite and finish. 

Mouthfeel:  low carbonation, but still present.  Brett must have taken hold prior to bottling.  It thinned out the mouthfeel a bit, but not too much.  No diacetyl. 

Overall:  I'm not quite done with my glass, this beer wants to be sipped (duh, it's an Old Alle, but I'm usually a fast drinker).  As a sipper it has a ton of complexity and is very enjoyable.  It allowed me to stop, reflect, even research and most definitely appreciate. 

Awesome review. Give this guy a job.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2016, 07:13:10 pm »
I finally got around to the bonus beer that @Hooper sent me. It is his "Not Orval" which he says went from 1.062 down to 1.001. The dryness is very noticeable but definitely not off-putting. His notes said this was not his best effort, but myself and the 2 beautiful women who shared it with all loved it. I am not a regular Orval drinker, so really cannot compare it to the original, just know we liked it a lot.

Aroma has just a hint of funk but overall clean pilsner flavor. It was force carbed and bottled, thus it is crystal clear. The carb level is on the high side, champagne like, constantly bubbling up from the bottom through the entire glass. The girls said the carb level was reminiscent of AmandaK's wedding toast beer. Really no hop flavor to speak of, but a nice subtle bitter finish. Overall, this would be a great one to enjoy on a nightly basis.

Thanks so much for including this in my package Glenn, we really enjoyed it
Edit to add the pic, oops
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:47:02 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2016, 08:51:37 pm »
It is pretty cool to see one  of your beers months later in another state and in another state...glad the ladies liked and nice review Frank...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline 69franx

« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2016, 08:57:57 pm »
As a side note, not specifically a detraction, that dark spot in the lower right hand side of my glass was 1 of 2 or 3 floaters that made their way into my glass. Not an issue and never noticed it while drinking. I do remember seeing it after I poured and making a mental note, but no taste issue whenever it went down the hatch. Thanks again Glenn, I enjoyed all your beers
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2016, 09:07:54 pm »
Well...sorry about the floaters...wish it was here unopened...
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2016, 09:10:14 pm »
or...in my glass
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline 69franx

« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2016, 09:51:44 pm »
Like I said, really never noticed once poured and consumed. I bottle condition, so I'm used to the occasional floater and not at all bothered by it. It was a wonderful beer from start to finish
Frank L.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #337 on: June 07, 2016, 04:16:49 pm »
JT- getting after those last two beers of yours next two nights. Scottish heavy and American wild ale- not very familiar with either but looking forward to trying them out.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #338 on: June 07, 2016, 04:39:43 pm »
JT- getting after those last two beers of yours next two nights. Scottish heavy and American wild ale- not very familiar with either but looking forward to trying them out.
I hope you're healing up and feeling up feeling better! The Scottish heavy name is a little misleading to me, as it's low alcohol by our standards, and "heavy" makes me think of high alcohol. I recommend letting it warm up a bit as it seems to help the malt flavor which I'd still like to get more of in this beer.  The American Wild ale was my first dance with Brettanomyces, blackberries and Oak and I was very pleased with how it came out. I hope the packaging serves you well on both of these beers, again let me know if you pick up any oxidation.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #339 on: June 07, 2016, 06:04:38 pm »
I had one last bottle of the Scottish tucked away in the fridge fom the same batch, that I just finished crushing.  I think I'm overly paranoid about oxidation with the beergun since it was my first time using it.  So far, I've not picked up any oxidation character at all.  Again, recommend letting that bottle warm up a bit prior to pouring.  The Wild Ale is really the same way, both are better at cellar temps 50 to 55.  I store them both colder and just let the bottles sit a bit before opening. 

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #340 on: June 07, 2016, 06:39:48 pm »
I had one last bottle of the Scottish tucked away in the fridge fom the same batch, that I just finished crushing.  I think I'm overly paranoid about oxidation with the beergun since it was my first time using it.  So far, I've not picked up any oxidation character at all.  Again, recommend letting that bottle warm up a bit prior to pouring.  The Wild Ale is really the same way, both are better at cellar temps 50 to 55.  I store them both colder and just let the bottles sit a bit before opening.

Scottish:  really rich malt nose and taste that has pleasantly dry smooth finish. Deep reddish brown that's very clear. Thin foam on pour that fades quickly.  Malt Opened up as it warmed and I'm not sensing any oxidation JT.

Haven't made one of these and rarely drink them. This is really nice and makes me think about brewing one this fall winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:49:06 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #341 on: June 07, 2016, 06:46:49 pm »

Scottish:  really rich malt nose and taste that has pleasantly dry smooth finish. Deep reddish brown that's very clear. Thin foam on pour that fades quickly.  Mat Opened up as it warmed and I'm not sending any oxidation JT.

Haven't made one of these and rarely drink them. This is really nice and makes me think about brewing one this fall winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Ken, I'm going to revisit this style eventually too.  I really like that I can actually have a few pints and not feel like it.  Makes the keg go quicker though, so there are drawbacks... cheers!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #342 on: June 07, 2016, 06:49:38 pm »
Yes easy drinker for sure. What's the grist look like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #343 on: June 07, 2016, 06:50:32 pm »
Is that a Scottish 80, JT ?  Nice looking beer.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #344 on: June 07, 2016, 06:58:42 pm »
The caramel is prominent yet not cloying or deathly sweet....digging it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale