Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 50066 times)

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #360 on: June 10, 2016, 06:07:57 am »
I'm dropping it...had my say and moving on...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #361 on: June 10, 2016, 06:26:18 am »
We did our first swap last spring. The response was mixed from "it won't work" to "we should do this once a month". Overall it went great. No deadbeats. Then we did it again in the fall. Again it went well. This one kinda got off to a rocky start because I lost my father and Amanda graciously stepped up and ran it. But I think a few of us were slow getting product out, then mine got lost, so it was delayed... bla bla.

I'm thinking about maybe we could keep the idea going but change it up a bit going forward. What do you guys think about a thread just called "SWAPS"? Ongoing, like the pics thread and the whats brewing this weekend thread, where one could post that they have a beer they'd like to swap for review and feedback. Then someone who also has a beer to swap can step up, and those two folks can PM each other's info and swap their beers. Then post their notes and photos on the SWAP thread.

What cha all think?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #362 on: June 10, 2016, 06:49:49 am »
We did our first swap last spring. The response was mixed from "it won't work" to "we should do this once a month". Overall it went great. No deadbeats. Then we did it again in the fall. Again it went well. This one kinda got off to a rocky start because I lost my father and Amanda graciously stepped up and ran it. But I think a few of us were slow getting product out, then mine got lost, so it was delayed... bla bla.

I'm thinking about maybe we could keep the idea going but change it up a bit going forward. What do you guys think about a thread just called "SWAPS"? Ongoing, like the pics thread and the whats brewing this weekend thread, where one could post that they have a beer they'd like to swap for review and feedback. Then someone who also has a beer to swap can step up, and those two folks can PM each other's info and swap their beers. Then post their notes and photos on the SWAP thread.

What cha all think?

I think it's a great idea. I like the current format too, but for example I'm brewing German stuff this spring and summer, and maybe the person picked for me isn't a big lager fan. But if I post that I have lagers to swap I'd get lager fans (or 'whatever' fans) to eval for me.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #363 on: June 10, 2016, 08:32:52 am »
I kinda like the random swap thing.  Though the results can be sort of random, too.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #364 on: June 10, 2016, 09:16:07 am »
There might be a problem when multiple people want to swap with you and you only want to send out to only one. Do we start bargaining. I kind of Ike the fairly organized way we do it now, it adds a bit of peer pressure to follow though. Also, looking forward to it gets me to Brew.
The positive aspect of Jim's suggestion is you swap when you have some beer you deem worthy. Maybe we do both.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #365 on: June 10, 2016, 12:03:50 pm »
I am in either way.  I enjoyed it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #366 on: June 10, 2016, 12:15:56 pm »
There might be a problem when multiple people want to swap with you and you only want to send out to only one. Do we start bargaining. I kind of Ike the fairly organized way we do it now, it adds a bit of peer pressure to follow though. Also, looking forward to it gets me to Brew.
The positive aspect of Jim's suggestion is you swap when you have some beer you deem worthy. Maybe we do both.
I agree with all of this. I like the group swaps best, because when I sign up for one I feel like that forces me to follow through. But I wouldn't mind having an open thread for one-offs as well. For example, I know that when I brew my single-hop beers I usually have a couple left over. Instead of dumping them I might as well trade a few.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #367 on: June 10, 2016, 04:40:20 pm »
I like the group swap format and I'm open to all styles...but I like the other swap Klick mentions also...

And I have to say...I enjoyed sending more than receiving and really wasn't that upset about getting a deadbeat this swap...And...I may have sampled a bit much of the recipe last night...I Shouldn't have slandered Egyptian Donkeys...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #368 on: June 10, 2016, 04:42:02 pm »
...I Shouldn't have slandered Egyptian Donkeys...

HA! I know, I mean what did they ever do to you? 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #369 on: June 10, 2016, 04:59:04 pm »
I like the group swap format and I'm open to all styles...but I like the other swap Klick mentions also...

And I have to say...I enjoyed sending more than receiving and really wasn't that upset about getting a deadbeat this swap...And...I may have sampled a bit much of the recipe last night...I Shouldn't have slandered Egyptian Donkeys...

Yeah, those donkeys work hard. ;)   The next swap will go better - sorry about your experience this time.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #370 on: June 10, 2016, 06:24:02 pm »
This is my second swap with nary a word of feedback. I'm hopeful though.

And I dont take it personally. We're all busy. I've got a lot more of Jim's beer to get through and one I've sampled I need to post.

Maybe no one wants to post feedback cuz my beers suck?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #371 on: June 10, 2016, 08:03:46 pm »
I'll bet it doesn't!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #372 on: June 11, 2016, 06:51:16 am »
Didn't get mine yet, but I said there is no hurry and there isn't.  If you get into the swap and something happens, then just let the intended recipient know.  That's what my sender did and I'm patient - I brew lagers and sours....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #373 on: June 11, 2016, 09:44:21 am »
Jim I haven't forgotten about you! I actually started a new job a few weeks ago (at a brewery too!) and have been putting in 80 hours a week easily. But you will definitely still be getting some beers!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #374 on: June 11, 2016, 10:04:33 am »
Jim I haven't forgotten about you! I actually started a new job a few weeks ago (at a brewery too!) and have been putting in 80 hours a week easily. But you will definitely still be getting some beers!
No worries! And congrats!