Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 50476 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #375 on: June 11, 2016, 08:39:02 pm »

redzim's final beer, at long last. My wife and I ended up leaving the NHC early due to car problems. With the car back in working order, it seemed a fitting time to sample redzim's remaining brew.

redzim's "Sappin' Brew" (Brown ale with Rauchmalz.)

Appearance:

Nice brown color, crystal clear. Pours with a rocky head that settles into a nice fine cap on the beer. Laces well.

Aroma: Ever get a slight whiff of a wood stove or campfire way off in the distance? It's a distinct smell, even at a low intensity. This beer is like that. The smoked malt isn't overwhelmingly in the forefront, like with a Schlenkerla, but there's no mistaking that it's there. Despite how light this aroma is, it blanks out all others in my nose.

Flavor/mouthfeel:

Body fits the brown ale style, not too dry, not too heavy. Perhaps a touch more dry than Newcastle, for reference. Beer has a slight sweetness up front, but turns to a slight bitter aftertaste. The smoked malt is a nice touch, it's there, but doesn't drown out the maltiness of the brown malt. Pairing up very nicely with a smoked salmon sandwich. This heightened either the malt or the smoke, depending on how much rye bread/salmon was in each bite of sandwich. An excellent beer overall, and my favorite of the lot. It's an incredibly drinkable beer, especially for a smoked beer. Would be great to pair with a campfire or wood stove on a chilly night.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:54:55 pm by Phil_M »
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #376 on: June 12, 2016, 10:35:16 am »
As I have told Ken, I have been a bad swapper. Life was all slow and steady when we started this swap and then it just kicked up and I haven't been able to find the time to think!

That being said, I have had 3 of Wort H.O.G's beers, and they have been just awesome. I've been taking notes but have just not been able to find the time to type it all out.

1) German Pils (I've lost the recipe card sent with this, despite all the others being in a nice stack on the beer fridge - odd... Ken will have to fill this one in for me)
  • 100% Weyermann Barke Malt
This one was incredibly interesting for me. I don't mean that in the "oh... it's interesting..." kind of half-ass complement. I mean that I am still curious about this beer, it's held my attention that long.
Aroma was initially grainy with cracker (when straight out of the beer cooler) and then presented as a red delicious apple with a low white-wine grape type aroma. The white wine-grape transformed into what I identify the Belgian-Pilsners "grape quality" but in turbo-mode. (You know how Belgian Pils malts can be more grapey than German Pils malts, which are usually more toasty? Yeah, that grapey aroma was bigger than the Belgian Pilsners I've used. Really cool.) Also had low floral aromas.
Appearance:

Damn that's a clear beer. Excellent carbonation, enjoyed watching the constant bubbles on a hot day after yard work.
Flavor followed the aroma, but with more cracker and grain and less grapey character. Mod low bitterness with a low floral flavor. Dry finish, crisp. Immensely drinkable (which will be a theme here).
Carb was mod-high. Body was med-low. No flaws here.
Overall, an excellent beer. May not do well in some comps (depending on if a judge picks up the grapey thing or not), but if/when Ken divulges the recipe, this one is worth a spot in your line up.

2) Oktoberfest. I shared this one with the KCBM Board (8 of us). Usually bombers languish around if they aren't unique or just damn-good. This one falls in the latter category.  ;)
  • 1.054/1.010
  • 5.5# Vienna
  • 2.5# German Pils
  • 2# Dark Munich, 15 SRM
  • 1# Carahell
  • 17IBU Magnum, Boil 50min. 2oz H. Mittelfruh, Boil 20min.
  • WLP833
Aroma and flavor are very similar here. Mod toasty, light toffee, low caramel, and low bread crusts. Mod-low bitterness, mod-low floral/spicy aroma & flavor. Dry, crisp, refreshing. Endlessly drinkable. We pounded this one down in record time. Mod. carbonation, bubbles again dancing up through the brilliantly clear amber colored beer. Med-light body. No warmth or other unmentionables. Everyone remarked at how clean and drinkable it was, and I have to agree. Dang Ken, how can it get better than this? If I had to nit-pick, I would mention the very low papery character that I get doing retro-nasal... but if you can only find it doing that... well, no one's gonna notice it.  ;)

3) Dort. I'm real mad that I didn't get a picture of this one (phone has been actin' a fool lately), so you'll all just have to believe me that it was beautiful. True story - I am brewing this one soon. Maybe next.
  • 1.052/1.010
  • 8.25# German Pils
  • 2# Munich
  • 4oz Caramunich (56 SRM)
  • 4oz Carahell
  • 22 IBU Merkur, Boil 50min
  • 1oz Hersbrucker, 10min; 0.5oz Mandarina Bavaria, 10min
  • WLP833
Mod toasty, light caramel. Cracker. Low floral with an interesting citrus in the way back. Impressively clear gold beer. Pours with a 3/4" head that lasts for half of the time spent drinking. Flavor follows aroma, but with no citrus note in the flavor. Mod-low bitterness. Moderate floral notes. Dry, crisp. Endlessly quaffable. Mod carbonation. Mod-light body. No warmth or other issues. Great beer. My last notes on this one say, "Commercial Quality", which I then corrected to after another sip "Better Than Commercial Quality".

Ken, you've killed it with these beers. I'm really looking forward to the Alt and I'm really looking forward to brewing a Dort with my Pils yeast cake I have. Hopefully I can make one as good as yours!  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #377 on: June 12, 2016, 11:12:21 am »
Nice job! (Both of you)  Definitely made me wish I had one of those beers right here!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #378 on: June 12, 2016, 11:42:36 am »
Not surprised a bit - Ken's lagers are just killer.
Jon H.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #379 on: June 13, 2016, 06:34:19 am »
Got around to drinking my last beer from Rob_F.

A "Pale Doppelbock" clocking in at over 9%. A nice amber/golden color, not super-clear but clear enough for my liking. Medium carbonation.  Starts with a bready malt aroma, rich and toasty. Smooth firm malt taste upfront with just hint of hops. Finished sweet but not cloying. A good solid Doppelbock. A very enjoyable beer - although I don't know if I could handle more than one of these especially on a warm summer day! 

Thanks Rob - and thanks to all who organized this swap, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be in on the next one.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #380 on: June 13, 2016, 10:21:59 am »
Wow Amanda great write up...worth the wait.

I will put the recipe out for the Pils. As we chatted- I need to go back to a bottle and see if I can pick up on the grapey as you did. It's definitely much different malt compared to the other German Pils malts I routinely use.

So papery in the O'fest - is that attributed to some o2? And you must explain the retro nasal procedure...presume that's a judging technique?

Thanks again for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #381 on: June 13, 2016, 11:04:39 am »
So papery in the O'fest - is that attributed to some o2? And you must explain the retro nasal procedure...presume that's a judging technique?

Re: O2; Typically, yes. Age and storage are other factors, but minimizing O2 is the first step as it can/will speed up aging and amplify storage issues.

Retro-nasal is a technique that can be used to amplify flavors and aromas. I use it when I can't put my finger on something I identify during normal tasting/smelling. When you taste the beer, swallow some of the beer while leaving a bit in your mouth. Then open your lips slightly with your tongue pressed against your front teeth. Breathe in quickly through your mouth and then breathe out through your nose. The goal is to spray the beer around your mouth while breathing in. You should be able to pick up on tertiary notes with this or suss out things than you can't with normal tasting. Since it is more sensitive, I make a point to mention that's how I got it so that it's isn't thought of as a huge deal.

I'm sure you have seen retro-nasal done with wine, I just try and do it quietly so as not to come off as a snooty-mc-snooterson at a competition. I've only seen a few other people do it at beer comps and it was at Nationals.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #382 on: June 13, 2016, 11:09:37 am »
Hey Ken - I forgot to ask. What mash are you using to hit 1.010 nearly every time? Is it that 147F one?
Amanda Burkemper

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #383 on: June 13, 2016, 11:21:21 am »
Amanda FWIW, I stepped the last helles I did.  145/60, 160/60.  Landed right @ 1.010  .
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #384 on: June 13, 2016, 03:56:24 pm »
I almost retro-nasaled the beer I was drinking when I read snooty-mc-snooterson.

Did anybody get a chance to try the Bretty McBrettface beer at club night?  It had a long line.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #385 on: June 13, 2016, 05:23:58 pm »
Hey Ken - I forgot to ask. What mash are you using to hit 1.010 nearly every time? Is it that 147F one?

so the pils was done at 143F for 60min, 162F for 60 min. that resulted in1.008 FG
the dort you got was 145F for 60, 160F for 60- since changed that to same as pils
the ofest was 145F for 60, 162F for 60

the pils recipe:
10 lbs   Barke,Weyermann Pils (1.5 SRM)                          Grain   1   96.4 %
6.0 oz   Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM)                   Grain   2   3.6 %
0.60 oz   German Merkur [15.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min           Hop   3   25.6 IBUs
1.00 oz   Hallertauer [3.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min                   Hop   4   4.6 IBUs
1.00 oz   Saaz [3.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min                           Hop   5   4.8 IBUs
1.00 oz   Select Spalt [3.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min                   Hop   6   5.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg   German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [35.49 ml]
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #386 on: June 13, 2016, 05:48:33 pm »

so the pils was done at 143F for 60min, 162F for 60 min. that resulted in1.008 FG
the dort you got was 145F for 60, 160F for 60- since changed that to same as pils

the pils recipe:
10 lbs   Barke,Weyermann Pils (1.5 SRM)                          Grain   1   96.4 %
1.00 oz   Hallertauer [3.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min                   Hop   4   4.6 IBUs
1.00 oz   Saaz [3.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min                           Hop   5   4.8 IBUs
1.00 oz   Select Spalt [3.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min                   Hop   6   5.2 IBUs

Ken, what's your take on the Weyermann Barke ? Have you used any of the other Barke Malts aside from the pils? My next 2 beers are an O-fest and German pils. I'm kicking around the idea of using Barke Vienna, Munich, and Pils malts in my O-fest. Then using Barke pils in the G-pils.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #387 on: June 13, 2016, 05:53:04 pm »

the pils recipe:

Ken, what's your take on the Weyermann Barke ? Have you used any of the other Barke Malts aside from the pils? My next 2 beers are an O-fest and German pils. I'm kicking around the idea of using Barke Vienna, Munich, and Pils malts in my O-fest. Then using Barke pils in the G-pils.
Not used any other as of yet. It's good- Amanda picked up some of the differences and I need to go back to it and see what I pick up in differences. I have a bottle with Avangard to compare it to so it might jump out at me . All 3 were steam stepped.

I know denny used pils recently but haven't seen his feedback on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2016, 05:55:10 pm »

Re: O2; Typically, yes. Age and storage are other factors, but minimizing O2 is the first step as it can/will speed up aging and amplify storage issues.

Retro-nasal is a technique that can be used to amplify flavors and aromas. I use it when I can't put my finger on something I identify during normal tasting/smelling. When you taste the beer, swallow some of the beer while leaving a bit in your mouth. Then open your lips slightly with your tongue pressed against your front teeth. Breathe in quickly through your mouth and then breathe out through your nose. The goal is to spray the beer around your mouth while breathing in. You should be able to pick up on tertiary notes with this or suss out things than you can't with normal tasting. Since it is more sensitive, I make a point to mention that's how I got it so that it's isn't thought of as a huge deal.

I'm sure you have seen retro-nasal done with wine, I just try and do it quietly so as not to come off as a snooty-mc-snooterson at a competition. I've only seen a few other people do it at beer comps and it was at Nationals.

Ok so I attempted the retro nasal thing....and didn't choke!! I can't pick it up but perhaps that's just my lack of sensory .

Edit: it was very fresh at about 30 days so perhaps even the beer gun and bottling may have contributed?? Just a wag.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:57:29 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #389 on: June 13, 2016, 05:56:36 pm »
I know denny used pils recently but haven't seen his feedback on it.

He said it was fuller and very tasty. I'm gonna swing for the fences and use all Barke malts in the O-fest, with probably 833. I think it'll be pretty tasty.

Edit - Of course, not having heard any accounts about the Barke Vienna and Munich, I may swing and miss. I'll bet it turns out at least pretty good.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:20:55 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.