Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 50373 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #390 on: June 13, 2016, 06:06:21 pm »
Amanda- the alt was stepped just because i decided to start step mashing and figured why not. It's the zum uerige recipe but with wlp029... You will pick up some of 029 yeast character - probably go back to the alt yeast next time; it's very tasty just a tad differ with 029 IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #391 on: June 13, 2016, 06:40:53 pm »
Had to look up the Barke malts and I'm curious I'm curious on it too.  Sounds great, maybe just just a little lower efficiency?  I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some, my Pilsner malt is running low anyway. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #392 on: June 13, 2016, 06:44:13 pm »
Sounds great, maybe just just a little lower efficiency?

I don't know - Northern Brewer advertises it as having a high extract rate. I guess we'll see.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #393 on: June 13, 2016, 06:50:45 pm »
Sounds great, maybe just just a little lower efficiency?

I don't know - Northern Brewer advertises it as having a high extract rate. I guess we'll see.
Disregard, that was me reading too quickly.  The barley yield is low, extract yield is high.  I'd expect this malt to cost a bit more, but for us homebrewers and many craft brewers that's not the main concern. 

New Weyermann® Malt Barke®: Old Variety, Many Advantages

Weyermann® Specialty Malts has recently added another traditional malt variety to its heirloom portfolio: Barke®
Barke once enjoyed the highest reputation among German brewers and was the most widely used barley variety given the authentic and highly aromatic beers that can be produced with this type of malt. The yield of barley is indeed lower by about 20% than with current varieties, but that is no reason for Weyermann® Specialty Malts not to back Barke®. For Barke® brings with it the best conditions for an intense malt taste in the beer, a full-bodied flavor and good head.
Weyermann® Specialty Malts now offers the traditional malt in the Weyermann® Barke® Pilsner Malt, Weyermann® Barke® Vienna Malt and Weyermann® Barke® Munich Malt varieties and so offers a perfect base for authentic pale ales and lagers.
Barke® is a variety with all-round advantages: Agronomically, it has relatively short, sturdy stalks and is fairly resistant to leaf rust, leaf scald, net blotch, and mildew. In the malt and brew houses, it excels because of its large kernel diameter, good kernel homogeneity, good germination potential, superior diastatic power, excellent extract yield, with only moderate levels of soluble nitrogen, due to low beta-glucan values. A wort made from Barke® also maintains its color well during the kettle boil. This makes it a particularly sought-after base malt for pale ales and blond lagers, especially for Pilsners.
These are some of the reasons, why Weyermann® Specialty Malts has decided not to let Barke® be forgotten, even though Barke® is now being superseded in large-scale agriculture by newer thoroughbred-varieties with even higher extract values. Weyermann® can do this, because it sources virtually all of its barley from reliable contract farmers. Therefore, Barke® will continue to have a home in the portfolio of Weyermann® Specialty Malts and will be able to keep its success story among barley varieties going – premium quality especially for Craft Beers.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #394 on: June 13, 2016, 07:01:39 pm »
Cool. I'm looking forward to using it. Gotta believe those are really nice malts.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #395 on: June 13, 2016, 07:03:35 pm »
Cool. I'm looking forward to using it. Gotta believe those are really nice malts.
Agree - if they're getting lower yield and still farming and harvesting there's a reason - hopefully it's tasty beer!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #396 on: June 14, 2016, 12:33:18 pm »

I sampled this table saison sent by Jim on Memorial Day. Sorry for the late review.

This beer poured a hazy golden color with a big frothy head. The head was long lasting and laced nicely on the glass.

I picked up citrus in the nose and in the flavor. I couldn't pick out the peppercorns, although my sister in law could.

It was a very light beer which was perfect for sitting around with family on the holiday. I found it to be on the thin side but I find that with most session strength beers.

All in all it was very enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2016, 12:40:37 pm »
Jim's NHC stout

My wife and I enjoyed this bottle in Sunday night.

As you can see, it pours opaque with a thick tan head. The head stuck around and clung to the sides of the glass.

I found it be toasty and smooth with a nice bitterness in the finish. I attributed that more to the roast than the hops but I could be wrong. Jen said she could smell the hops (I didn't pick them out but my allergies have been merciless for several weeks).

There is no noticeable alcohol heat or flavor to this stout. It is very well balanced and I can definitely see how it advanced. Too bad it didn't medal.

The summary from my better half is as follows: tasty, hoppy on the nose, roasty on the tongue, complex, full-bodied.

We enjoyed it. Send more!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #398 on: June 14, 2016, 12:55:22 pm »
Jim's NHC stout

My wife and I enjoyed this bottle in Sunday night.

As you can see, it pours opaque with a thick tan head. The head stuck around and clung to the sides of the glass.

I found it be toasty and smooth with a nice bitterness in the finish. I attributed that more to the roast than the hops but I could be wrong. Jen said she could smell the hops (I didn't pick them out but my allergies have been merciless for several weeks).

There is no noticeable alcohol heat or flavor to this stout. It is very well balanced and I can definitely see how it advanced. Too bad it didn't medal.

The summary from my better half is as follows: tasty, hoppy on the nose, roasty on the tongue, complex, full-bodied.

We enjoyed it. Send more!

That's awesome Joe. So glad you enjoyed it. I'm keeping this recipe! Big shout out to those who helped design it, I think Hoosierbrew in particular, maybe you too Joe. Its been a while and my memory sucks.

Now I'm curious what you think of the Challenge beer. I had one to send you, right? Hey, where are all the Challenge Beer reviews? I thought several of us made one?...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #399 on: June 14, 2016, 12:59:31 pm »
Yeah, that stout looks nice, Jim. Makes me want to submit my American stout next year. Or at least brew another one this fall. It's one of my recipes that I leave alone as is.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #400 on: June 14, 2016, 01:01:56 pm »
I'll have to check the tags on the bottles.

I have the Pilsner in the fridge and I think three bottles in the cellar.

I'll try to make the challenge beer next.

Your stout reminded me of a non-imperial stout I brewed awhile back that I've been planning to rebrew.  Yours was much better though.  My first go at it I used Nottingham and I couldn't get past the weird tanginess I get from that yeast.  I'm assuming you used one of the Chico variants, as your stout was very clean.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #401 on: June 14, 2016, 01:03:04 pm »
Yeah, that stout looks nice, Jim. Makes me want to submit my American stout next year. Or at least brew another one this fall. It's one of my recipes that I leave alone as is.
Its about 90% your advice. The one I rebrewed got some dry hops... at a local Grand Master 2's advice. I don't think it hurt it.

I've got an imperial version on the schedule for next brew day.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #402 on: June 14, 2016, 01:06:42 pm »
Its about 90% your advice. The one I rebrewed got some dry hops... at a local Grand Master 2's advice. I don't think it hurt it.

Can't beat grand Master-level advice! I didn't dry hop my last one, but it got a short whirlpool addition. It came off to me like I'd dry hopped maybe close to an oz. About right I thought.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #403 on: June 14, 2016, 03:15:53 pm »

Can't beat grand Master-level advice! I didn't dry hop my last one, but it got a short whirlpool addition. It came off to me like I'd dry hopped maybe close to an oz. About right I thought.
Mine had too much hop aroma fresh, for my tastes anyway, but it slowly dropped to "noticeable" over the course of a month or so. I have one bottle left in my fridge from when I bottled for Baltimore. I think I'll give it a go tonight after supper.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #404 on: June 14, 2016, 07:36:14 pm »

Jim's challenge beer. The card only says challenge.

Looks like a stout. Mild hops on the nose. First sip is roast. Thin body. Not bad.

Full review to follow.