Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread  (Read 50468 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: 2016 Spring Swap - Official Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2016, 08:53:26 am »
I'll be camped out on the porch waiting on the UPS guy on the 4/30  :P

Really. I don't care if it's a little late. I'm just uber stoked to try your beers!

This is my first swap since my hiatus stretched across the last two. So, I'm a bit excited. Looking to be inspired to broaden my horizons a bit with this.

So Frank, how would you feel about your local-commercial beer being a sour fruited beer? A friend of mine (Michael Crane) started a brewery with a group last year and they've been doing some amazing things. Featured in DRAFT recently: http://draftmag.com/crane-brewing-fruit-sours/ The Orange Gose is probably my favorite beer in existance. It's perfect.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2016, 09:28:34 am »

Really. I don't care if it's a little late. I'm just uber stoked to try your beers!

This is my first swap since my hiatus stretched across the last two. So, I'm a bit excited. Looking to be inspired to broaden my horizons a bit with this.

So Frank, how would you feel about your local-commercial beer being a sour fruited beer? A friend of mine (Michael Crane) started a brewery with a group last year and they've been doing some amazing things. Featured in DRAFT recently: http://draftmag.com/crane-brewing-fruit-sours/ The Orange Gose is probably my favorite beer in existance. It's perfect.

I trust your judgement! Sounds great!... I was just hoping that it wasn't Bud Light lol
Frank

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2016, 09:33:38 am »

big bomber of cat p*ss for you frank   ;D

I trust your judgement! Sounds great!... I was just hoping that it wasn't Bud Light lol
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2016, 02:09:05 pm »

Redzim's beers got to me yesterday, which is good because after work today I was craving a helles!

redzim's Edel Hell

Pour/appearance:

Nice clear straw color. Rocky white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma:

I get the smell of good straw, with a subtle whiff of hops at the end.

Flavor:

I get a lot of Carr’s Water Cracker-like flavors from the first sip. Carbonation is crisp, and the beer finishes dry. I get a little bit of a pils “mineral water” thing going on, though certainly not at a level approaching that of a pils. Bitterness is balanced, the beer comes across as neither sweet nor bitter. After taking a pause from sipping on this beer, I’m getting a slight hop aftertaste. No diacetyl, no acetaldehyde or DMS.

Remarks:

This beer is crushable, and at 5.2% abv it’ll sneak up on you. The dryness of the finish just makes me want to take another sip and keep drinking! Helles is one of the favorite styles of beer, and this one is perfect after a busy day at work. Definitely outshines the Helles at my local brewpub. A keg of this beer and some outdoor work would be dangerous!
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2016, 05:40:30 pm »

Redzim's beers got to me yesterday, which is good because after work today I was craving a helles!

redzim's Edel Hell

Pour/appearance:

Nice clear straw color. Rocky white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma:

I get the smell of good straw, with a subtle whiff of hops at the end.

Flavor:

I get a lot of Carr’s Water Cracker-like flavors from the first sip. Carbonation is crisp, and the beer finishes dry. I get a little bit of a pils “mineral water” thing going on, though certainly not at a level approaching that of a pils. Bitterness is balanced, the beer comes across as neither sweet nor bitter. After taking a pause from sipping on this beer, I’m getting a slight hop aftertaste. No diacetyl, no acetaldehyde or DMS.

Remarks:

This beer is crushable, and at 5.2% abv it’ll sneak up on you. The dryness of the finish just makes me want to take another sip and keep drinking! Helles is one of the favorite styles of beer, and this one is perfect after a busy day at work. Definitely outshines the Helles at my local brewpub. A keg of this beer and some outdoor work would be dangerous!
The beer looks great. What's the details on the recipe and process....kegged, bottled?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

trentm

« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2016, 06:18:14 pm »
The beer looks great. What's the details on the recipe and process....kegged, bottled?

Also interested to know. Looks commercial by the bottle but could also be something like Kai's recipe:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Edel_Hell
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5991.0

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2016, 06:31:33 pm »

Also interested to know. Looks commercial by the bottle but could also be something like Kai's recipe:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Edel_Hell
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5991.0

You got it... I started with Kai's recipe 5 or 6 batches ago, have tweaked the hopping up a hair, and played with the acid levels to get the right mash pH. Water is Martin's Yellow Malty profile built on top of RO. Otherwise, single infusion Denny-style batch sparge at 153F for 90min, 13 day ferment with dry W-34/70, force carbed in kegs and bottled from keg.  This batch was lagered at 33F for a good 7 weeks before I bottled.

I get my labels designed by a friend who is professional graphic designer and accepts growlers as payment  :)

Thanks for the great review Phil - this is my first swap and I'm looking forward to trying the beers I get...

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2016, 07:20:28 pm »
Amanda- the northern german pils I'm sending is with weyermann Barke pils malt. im digging this malt so if you haven't tried it, you will soon.
Hell yeah! I'm about to try out a new one here as well: Ireks. I honestly didn't plan having you being my shipper, but I am super stoked about it. German Lagers are my jam.

And Frank, I'll be on the later end of the shipping window but it's only because I'm particularly excited about one of the American Wilds I am about to bottle. I want to bottle some of it plain and try dry hopping a small portion of it with Amarillo if I can figure out the logistics. If I can figure it out with my equipment, you'll get both. :D

I'll be camped out on the porch waiting on the UPS guy on the 4/30 

Ive been amazed at the quality of the beers I've received. Mine are mediocre in comparison. We have some truly expert brewers on this forum. I suspect Amanda's beers are top shelf as well.

Haha hopefully you feel the same after you get mine. Should be sending out next week at the latest. I wanted to wait on my IPA to be ready. Tried it today and it's ready.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2016, 07:24:12 pm »
Amanda- the northern german pils I'm sending is with weyermann Barke pils malt. im digging this malt so if you haven't tried it, you will soon.
Hell yeah! I'm about to try out a new one here as well: Ireks. I honestly didn't plan having you being my shipper, but I am super stoked about it. German Lagers are my jam.

And Frank, I'll be on the later end of the shipping window but it's only because I'm particularly excited about one of the American Wilds I am about to bottle. I want to bottle some of it plain and try dry hopping a small portion of it with Amarillo if I can figure out the logistics. If I can figure it out with my equipment, you'll get both. :D

I'll be camped out on the porch waiting on the UPS guy on the 4/30 

Ive been amazed at the quality of the beers I've received. Mine are mediocre in comparison. We have some truly expert brewers on this forum. I suspect Amanda's beers are top shelf as well.

Haha hopefully you feel the same after you get mine. Should be sending out next week at the latest. I wanted to wait on my IPA to be ready. Tried it today and it's ready.
No rush and I'm certain they will blow me away!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2016, 08:13:03 pm »

redzim's Vienna Lager

FWIW, the only Vienna Lager I’m familiar with is Devil’s Backbone’s version, and even then it’s usually close to the drink by date.

Pour/appearance:

Pours with a rocky head with a creamy layer of finer foam on top. Beer is clear, though it’s hard to see in the picture. Good head retention, with nice lacing. Color is a nice amber, a touch darker than Dos Equis amber.

Aroma:

Good malty aroma. I get that “chewy” bock-like malt smell, but to a lesser degree than a bock, obviously.

Flavor:

Nice toasted bread crust flavor, crackery Pils is there too. I get a touch of diacetyl. Beer finishes dry, bitterness is balanced yet trends to slightly bitter in the aftertaste. This beer has a nice medium body, has some alcohol warmth. Carbonation is lively, perhaps a touch more than I’d prefer. (But don’t mind me, I like warm flat beer.)

Remarks:

I’ve really enjoyed both of redzim’s beers so far. Been alternating between working days and nights, and it’s nice to come home and review a beer. I’ve really enjoyed this beer. Not as crushable as the helles, but then it isn’t supposed to be. This beer would be awesome enjoyed around a bonfire on a chilly fall day. Hell, it’s a damn fine beer after a long day at work on a chilly spring day.

I have to say, I'm sad that redzim's lagers are gone. I love a good lager, but don't have the means to brew them myself yet. These beers have been a real treat, and I'm more convinced than ever than I need to scrape up the money and get a lagering freezer.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:16:10 pm by Phil_M »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2016, 10:11:39 pm »
Talk about enticing reviews! And I definitely need to step up my labeling game. Joe Sr will be stuck with my redneck 3x5 cards

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2016, 06:26:38 am »
Talk about enticing reviews! And I definitely need to step up my labeling game. Joe Sr will be stuck with my redneck 3x5 cards
I'm a blue painters tape and magic marker guy myself.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2016, 10:11:20 am »
I just wrote on the cap with a sharpie for mine...

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2016, 10:43:15 am »
Cap and sharpie for me as well, but I will include some details for the trade on paper or note cards
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2016, 08:45:43 pm »
Fingers crossed