Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spring Break in DC  (Read 3408 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Spring Break in DC
« on: March 01, 2016, 04:00:35 pm »
Planning family vacation in DC for Spring Break, kind of last minute I know. Not a lot of time for brewery tours with the kids in tow, but definitely looking for some good, hard to find outside of area brews. Who can recommend the best single brewery/taproom to visit while there? Also looking for tourism tips, tour suggestions, etc. I know we want to see the big mainstays of memorials, monuments, the Mall, several Smithsonian stops, Possibly the spy museum, Pentagon, etc. Googling gives so many tour results, top sights, etc, really just looking for some insight from someone living in or familiar with the Metro Area. Who do you recommend and who would you say we should avoid? "Tours by Foot(?)" sounds like a great, cheap way to see the sights with a guide. We are not afraid of walking the area on tours like this, but are open to ideas for Double Decker buses, etc. We are staying Northeast of DC proper, just outside the beltway but plan on spending each day inside of it seeing everything that the kids and we want to see. As well as as many of your suggestions as possible. What do you have for us?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Spring Break in DC
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 04:40:35 pm »
Get used to walking. DC is a great place to drop a few pounds. The Metro is fantastic.

National Air and Space Museum. Good to kill a couple hours at the very least. And the food trucks nearby are great for a quick lunch option.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 04:48:41 pm »
Thanks Euge, no fear of walking. Will look for the food trucks, as the Air and Space museum is on my must see list, as well as the boy's lisst
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:58:19 pm »
I usually go once a year or so for work. Our headquarters is in Silver Spring.

Arlington is well worth seeing. The air and space is fantastic as is natural history. The memorials on the mall make for a solid day of walking. The capitol is a worthwhile tour.

The metro is very easy to navigate. I have never eaten at the same place twice in DC proper, usually tagging along with a co-worker

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 09:48:20 pm »
There are three museums that are must see IMO. Air and Space, Natural History, and American History. If you are into art, both the American Art Museum and National Gallery are great.

Fords theatre is a neat stop. Very cool to stand that close to world changing history. All of the monuments are fun, but I like them better in the snow.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 06:43:40 am »
My favorite bar is the Churchkey, which is a bit of a walk from the Metro and I'm not sure is kid-friendly
http://www.churchkeydc.com/

40 something taps and everything available in 4 oz pours.

The National Building Museum is worth a visit if you have interest in architecture.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 07:17:38 am »
We haven't been in a few years, but the Nation Museum of the American Indian was excellent the last time.

The Spy Museum was better than expected, ended up enjoying it.

If you are doing the Pentagon, Arlington Cemetery, and the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was moving.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 07:29:26 am »
Thanks guys, anyone want to pipe in on tour guides, tours, or  below the radar must do or see items?
Frank L.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 07:43:10 am »
The National Portrait Gallery was better than expected, but if you kids are along, probably too boring.

The National Zoo, if the kids are into zoos.

We liked Pizza Paradisio, there is one near DuPont Circle, Craft beer there too.

If the family is adventurous as far as food goes, the Adams Morgan neighborhood had food from around the world. It is not far from the embassies, so lots of stuff you don't normally see.

Edit - looked at some menus. DC was always expensive, more so now. Be prepared for some sticker shock.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:14:55 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 08:20:36 am »
Ah Adams Morgan... Or Madame's Organ as it was explained to me. ::)

There's the Amsterdam Falafelshop which serves a truly exceptional falafel and frites with an amazing selection of condiments. And right next door is a place with a great beer selection- some of it local. The Black Squirrel...

All kind of food and drink in that area.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 08:41:37 am »
Ah Adams Morgan... Or Madame's Organ as it was explained to me. ::)

There's the Amsterdam Falafelshop which serves a truly exceptional falafel and frites with an amazing selection of condiments. And right next door is a place with a great beer selection- some of it local. The Black Squirrel...

All kind of food and drink in that area.
Just walk down the street, the aromas are outstanding. On one trip we stayed near there. Had Brazilian, Argentinian, and Costa Rican food on different nights.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 09:24:03 am »
I also enjoy Kramer Books and Afterwords Cafe in Dupont Circle. A nice indie bookstore with a bar in the middle. They had a really nice beer list when we were there last summer.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 09:45:55 am »

We liked Pizza Paradisio, there is one near DuPont Circle, Craft beer there too.

Edit - looked at some menus. DC was always expensive, more so now. Be prepared for some sticker shock.

I will second Pizza Paradisio.

Yep. DC is very expensive.

Kids might enjoy the National Museum of the American Indian. http://www.nmai.si.edu It includes all Indians from Alaska, Canada, US, Central America, and South America.

I also enjoy Kramer Books and Afterwords Cafe in Dupont Circle.

Another excellent recommendation.
Ralph R.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 09:55:55 am »
Couple years ago the beer prices were crazy. For draft I paid as low as $6 per pint but more often $10-12 for 500ml of say- Bitburger or craft brew. Not unthinkable to drop $20 on a couple beers. Basically it's airport prices.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 05:49:25 am »
I took a trip there last November. My favorite brewery tap room was probably Atlas Brew Works. I think they also had the most solid line-up.