Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Aluminum Brew Pot  (Read 4584 times)

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
New Aluminum Brew Pot
« on: March 01, 2016, 06:39:01 pm »
I went back and searched this forum for discussions about aluminum vs stainless steel.  Found several advocates for aluminum.

I have been brewing in aluminum for years making beers from extract.  I bought a 10 gallon aluminum heavy duty pot for boiling since I am embarking on all grain brews.  My question is:  do I need to do anything to "season" my new pot before boiling in it? Manufacturer states that I should heat it up and add cooking oil to it, cool it down, heat it up and add cooking oil to it again.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: New Aluminum Brew Pot
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 06:47:48 pm »
I think the oil thing is more for conventional cooking.  Not really desireable for brewing I dont think.
I never did this to my pots, and no known issues.

I woud clean it with soap and water.  Possibly boil a pot of water just to make sure nothing from machining is left over in the flavor... and brew beer.

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:21:27 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I meant to post this question on the open forum.  I agree that it makes sense to forgo the oil treatment.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 11:21:30 pm »
wash it well, no conditioning needed. It will ultimately form a bit of a  patina on the inside. Do not try to remove this using anything abrasive. No wire scrubbies, use only plastic or the green sponge scrubbies. This oxidized layer is actually fine and imparts no off flavors. I've had a 15 gal heavy aluminum pot since the 80's and it looks grungy, but works perfectly.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 06:37:00 am »
I found that boiling some hard water in the pot helps bring in the dark gray patina, changing the bright metal.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 09:58:19 am »
But only as high as the water level goes so fill it as full as possible!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 10:00:09 am »
I currently brew in an 8 gallon aluminum pot.

As others have already mentioned, give it a good cleaning to remove anything from manufacturing.  Beyond that I'd recommend doing some simple water boils to develop the oxidized layer to the maximize amount you intend to boil.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 10:18:32 am »
+1. My first pot was aluminum and I still use it as my HLT.  Been good to me for 11 years now. I filled it high as I could with water and heated it for a long while, just as Martin said. 
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 06:13:05 pm »
Thanks for all the tips.  Brewing my first all-grain this weekend in my new pot.

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 05:48:22 am »
Thanks for all the tips.  Brewing my first all-grain this weekend in my new pot.

FWIW, the only issue I've had with my pot is the heat retention (specifically for BIAB).  I've used the burner a couple times to keep the rest temperatures where I want them, versus using an insulated blanket.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 07:39:54 am »

FWIW, the only issue I've had with my pot is the heat retention (specifically for BIAB).  I've used the burner a couple times to keep the rest temperatures where I want them, versus using an insulated blanket.

A very good point but the OP has not indicated how he intends to use it for grain batches. I'm assuming he'll mash in a cooler... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 10:37:35 am »

A very good point but the OP has not indicated how he intends to use it for grain batches. I'm assuming he'll mash in a cooler... ;)

Good point!  OP did mention "for boiling".

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 08:26:14 am »
Yep, just for boiling, mashing in a cooler.  Reviewing my recipe/calculations, etc.  Getting ready to do my first all-grain batch today.  "Seasoned" my new aluminum pot by taking it through a few boils. Again, thanks for all the tips.