Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 Regulator Leak HELP!!!!  (Read 10681 times)

Offline CaiFrat

• 1st Kit
CO2 Regulator Leak HELP!!!!
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:33:27 pm »
Hi there,
My boyfriend recently bought an EdgeStar Slim Kegerator KC2000 and when opening up the CO2 tank to let it flow to the keg, we noticed very loud wind sounds coming from the CO2 regulator. We obviously assume that this means there is a leak. When feeling around for the leaking site we felt it coming from a random nut on the side of the pressure regulator. This nut does not connect to anything and we have not been able to loosen it or tighten it. We have no idea what is going on.

Please help us!!

I have been trying to attach the picture but for some reason I can't figure out how to.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: CO2 Regulator Leak HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 10:05:23 pm »
Hi there,
My boyfriend recently bought an EdgeStar Slim Kegerator KC2000 and when opening up the CO2 tank to let it flow to the keg, we noticed very loud wind sounds coming from the CO2 regulator. We obviously assume that this means there is a leak. When feeling around for the leaking site we felt it coming from a random nut on the side of the pressure regulator. This nut does not connect to anything and we have not been able to loosen it or tighten it. We have no idea what is going on.

Please help us!!

I have been trying to attach the picture but for some reason I can't figure out how to.
Sounds like a bad regulator.  Send the regulator back.

Got to use Photobucket or such for pics here.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Garcia Brewing

• 1st Kit
  • Drink more Homebrew!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:44:04 pm »
Make sure there is a O ring on the part where the regulator connects to the tank... Could be that.

Offline CaiFrat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:49:58 am »
Make sure there is a O ring on the part where the regulator connects to the tank... Could be that.

Yeah the directions when setting up the regulator said there was one installed in it so I assumed it was in there?

Offline CaiFrat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 05:52:34 am »
Hi there,

Please help us!!

Sounds like a bad regulator.  Send the regulator back.

Got to use Photobucket or such for pics here.

Yeah thats what I was thinking but when we called the manufacturer they didn't help us at all. And how exactly could I post pictures from photo bucket?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 06:02:27 am »
Copy the 'direct link' for the pic(s) from Photobucket, then click 'reply' on this thread. Next click on the icon on the bottom row, second from left (hover over it and it says 'Insert Image'). Paste the pic link between the brackets and hit post.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:14:01 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline CaiFrat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 10:33:01 am »

Ah hah! I got it! So this is the nut that the gas is leaking from

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 10:38:59 am »
It won't tighten at all ?  One of my regulators leaked from there when I bought it. I tightened it and stopped the leak.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 10:40:47 am »
Doesn't look like there's any Teflon tape on that bolt. If you can get it out I'd tape it and try again.

FWIW, I just replaced my 2-gauge version of that same regulator due to a leak. Haven't had a chance the exact cause said leak yet though. It's little enough that it doesn't hiss.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline CaiFrat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 10:42:28 am »
Doesn't look like there's any Teflon tape on that bolt. If you can get it out I'd tape it and try again.

FWIW, I just replaced my 2-gauge version of that same regulator due to a leak. Haven't had a chance the exact cause said leak yet though. It's little enough that it doesn't hiss.

So if we can get it off, we should wrap teflon tape around the threading and then try and screw it back in?

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 10:46:04 am »
That's what I would start with. That's the port for the optional second gauge, and I'm not sure why there's no tape on the threads.

That is on the high pressure side of the regulator though, so I'd take the bottle off the reg before doing ANYTHING to that bolt.

I'd also wait for someone to corroborate my theory. High pressure gasses are no laughing matter.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline CaiFrat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 11:15:40 am »
It won't tighten at all ?  One of my regulators leaked from there when I bought it. I tightened it and stopped the leak.

We tried for a couple hours to get it off, we thought that someone might've put it in crooked and got it stuck. But maybe we will try again

Offline CaiFrat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 11:16:02 am »
That's what I would start with. That's the port for the optional second gauge, and I'm not sure why there's no tape on the threads.

That is on the high pressure side of the regulator though, so I'd take the bottle off the reg before doing ANYTHING to that bolt.

I'd also wait for someone to corroborate my theory. High pressure gasses are no laughing matter.

Okay, thank you so much for your help

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 11:17:34 am »
Close the cylinder, bleed the line, remove the regulator from the tank. See if that port isn't just loose or incorrectly threaded. Gas regulators/manifolds "shouldn't" require teflon tape and it's actually bad practice to use it generally but if the threads are that poorly machined that you aren't getting gas-tight fits, that's your only option. Also check that the gasket between the regulator and tank is in good condition.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 01:30:31 pm »
Another thought, and I am not a plumber, make sure the teflon tape you use is gas rated. No experience, but I have seen the different tapes at the depot: some for water, some for gas. I would assume there is a reason and a specific purpose for both, but again, just an assumption
edit: quick google search shows that water tape can be used for gas applications, but may not hold back what gas tape will due to the difference in density of gasses versus liquid. Not sure if its causing your problem, but it may be
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:33:02 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)