Author Topic: First Pale Ale Recipe  (Read 2326 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
First Pale Ale Recipe
« on: March 02, 2016, 06:42:23 AM »
Hey everybody, being busy with college I haven't been able to brew lately but I have small break coming up and plan on cramming some brews in. I have usually lean towards the malty side of the spectrum when it comes to brewing but I want to brew some decent hoppy beers. What is a good starting point for making a decent Pale Ale. Here is a general idea of what I want to do. This would be for 5 Gallons.
Grist:
90% Pale Ale malt
5% CaraAmber or Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
5% Rye Malt
Hops:
.75oz Simcoe @ FWH
2oz Mosaic @ Whirlpool 170F
.75oz Simcoe @ Whirlpool 170F
Yeast probably just US-05
Any feedback would be appreciated!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
Re: First Pale Ale Recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »
that looks pretty good to me as is.

I'd stick with 2 row rather than "Pale Ale" Malt personally.

The rye malt likely will be very subtle at that level, but maybe that's what you want. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 03:14:36 PM »
yep looks good, and I'm on the other side of the fence...I like pale ale malt.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 03:23:06 PM »
Looks pretty good to me. I normally use 2 row, but pale ale malt would work fine there. I'd be more inclined to use pale ale malt in an APA than an AIPA.
Jon H.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I am going with the Pale Ale malt because I feel like it just would add some character to round out the beer. Some Pale Ales I have tasted just seem like they have no malt character. Obviously the beer is supposed to showcase hops but I think it should still have a solid malt backbone.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 04:13:51 PM »
I think you'll like it. Lately I've been brewing my APAs with 95% Pale Ale Malt and 5% of flaked oats while playing around with different Cl/SO4 ratios and different hops. I agree with others suggesting that the Pale Ale malt will give you a good malt backbone for a simple hoppy beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »
At that level of rye, you'll likely never know it's there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gman23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »
At that level of rye, you'll likely never know it's there.

That was going to be my comment. I would either up the rye to 15% or omit it.
On Tap/Bottled: Hopfenbier, Kurbis Marzen, Red Rye, Vienna Lager,      

Fermenting: Imperial Porter
Up Next: Maibock, Braunbier

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 05:40:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I am going with the Pale Ale malt because I feel like it just would add some character to round out the beer. Some Pale Ales I have tasted just seem like they have no malt character. Obviously the beer is supposed to showcase hops but I think it should still have a solid malt backbone.

I agree. I cant speak to other pale ale malts, but for avangard (what I use) I really like the what it brings to the game...both pale ale and IPA. a good water profile and hop schedule and you end up with a really nice beer IMO.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 01:15:28 AM »

I agree. I cant speak to other pale ale malts, but for avangard (what I use) I really like the what it brings to the game...both pale ale and IPA. a good water profile and hop schedule and you end up with a really nice beer IMO.

Interesting. Avangard Pale Ale malt is the only malt of theirs that I have not liked; so much, in fact, I don't intend on ever buying it again. I felt that it was too characteristic in most lighter-than-amber beers when used as the primary base malt. What I experienced was a tangy, sweet malt character, and the color it imparted to the beer was very dark for a base malt (at 75% AvanPaleAle and 25% corn, 1061 OG, my beer came out nearly orange [dark gold with orange hues]).  I described a few times as though it was base malt mixed with a substantial percentage of C40.  It worked well in dark beers because it was hidden, but in the end I would opt for a different "pale ale" base malt for most purposes. I kept feeling like I got a screwed up bag of malt; it produced beer nearly the same color as Avangard Light Munich but was definitely not munich in character.

Of the several "pale ale" malts I've tried, my favorite is probably TF Optic.  It has more bread character than US 2rows, and not as much biscuit character as MO.  In the ballpark of Golden Promise, but not quite as sweet and still just a touch more "malt" character.

Just my opinion and experience, of course.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
First Pale Ale Recipe
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 01:20:42 AM »

Interesting. Avangard Pale Ale malt is the only malt of theirs that I have not liked; so much, in fact, I don't intend on ever buying it again. I felt that it was too characteristic in most lighter-than-amber beers when used as the primary base malt. What I experienced was a tangy, sweet malt character, and the color it imparted to the beer was very dark for a base malt (at 75% AvanPaleAle and 25% corn, 1061 OG, my beer came out nearly orange [dark gold with orange hues]).  I described a few times as though it was base malt mixed with a substantial percentage of C40.  It worked well in dark beers because it was hidden, but in the end I would opt for a different "pale ale" base malt for most purposes. I kept feeling like I got a screwed up bag of malt; it produced beer nearly the same color as Avangard Light Munich but was definitely not munich in character.

Of the several "pale ale" malts I've tried, my favorite is probably TF Optic.  It has more bread character than US 2rows, and not as much biscuit character as MO.  In the ballpark of Golden Promise, but not quite as sweet and still just a touch more "malt" character.

Just my opinion and experience, of course.

C40 because of color or sweetness ?.  Here's pale ale malt 95% and carared 5%. Not sweet at all at FG 1.009.

It's really important to balance the malt and hops with anything. Too much of anything out of balance can suck.

Edit- and you can make a fantastic pale ale or IPA out of Vienna as base malt. IMO, If they're too sweet or malt forward, the water profile, attenuation, and hop profile/ bitterness is wrong, not the base malts fault

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 01:39:06 AM by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 02:45:04 AM »
C40 because of color or sweetness ?.  Here's pale ale malt 95% and carared 5%. Not sweet at all at FG 1.009.

It's really important to balance the malt and hops with anything. Too much of anything out of balance can suck.

Edit- and you can make a fantastic pale ale or IPA out of Vienna as base malt. IMO, If they're too sweet or malt forward, the water profile, attenuation, and hop profile/ bitterness is wrong, not the base malts fault
Because of color and sweetness, but the sweetness was "tangy" which would be unlike C40. It was the "tangy" that made the malt so characteristic and non-versatile for me. Just not a malt I would buy a full sack of again. Different strokes for different folks, to be certain.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 02:46:36 AM »

Because of color and sweetness, but the sweetness was "tangy" which would be unlike C40. It was the "tangy" that made the malt so characteristic and non-versatile for me. Just not a malt I would buy a full sack of again. Different strokes for different folks, to be certain.

To each their own is the beauty of this hobby for sure.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 03:37:01 AM »
Some revisions to the grain bill, I'm dropping the rye malt seems how it will have little to no effect. I am going with Simpsons Golden Naked Oats and flaked Oats at 5% each and the rest Pale ale malt. The hop schedule I am fine with. Yeast I will probably just use US-05 seems how I have a couple packets on hand.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline jmitchell3

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 03:44:54 AM »
Lots of oats with 2 types at 10%. Might consider replacing one of the oat portions with vienna or munich for some added malt complexity.