Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: yeast issues?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
yeast issues?
« on: March 02, 2016, 07:12:04 am »
I brewed yesterday, 3 gal. 60 min. boil, batch- 2 gal.
.25 lb Crystal 60 L @155-15 min.
1 oz cascade leaf (1/2 @60, 1/2 @15) @15 added wort chiller sprayed down with StarSan
1 oz centennial plug (1/2@10, 1/2@0)
3.3 lb Pilsen lite (@boil)
5 oz American lite (@boil) (7 wks old, kept in a very cold refrigerator, color looked fine)
cooled to 70 degrees SG 1.060
I used Wyeast 1056 which I smacked the night before and left on the counter. The bag swelled nicely and I poured it into the wort yesterday morning and didn't mix it. Today, I have almost no reaction, no bubbling. I pushed on the lid and some bubbles came out but not a lot; so it is working but quite weak.
Should I give it another day to see if the yeast really kicks in or put a package of Safale 05 in today?
Thanks
Bob
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:40:15 am by BobM »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: yeast issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 07:51:01 am »
How old is your yeast? Here you can calculate how much you should pitch: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Probably it's a bit slow but ok. You already seem to have some activity. Wait until tomorrow.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:53:51 am »
Frank,
the yeast was purchased 3 days before. thanks. I'm not sure when it was made at the factory though.

Alright, my neighbors just saw me digging through my garbage at the curb!! The yeast was made Jan. 10 2016, the calculator says I should have pitched 1.4 bags for a 2 gal. batch. So, if the krausen doesn't pick up tomorrow, you think I should throw half a pack of 05 in?

Bob
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:04:54 am by BobM »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:56:38 am »
1/  Did you aerate well before pitching the yeast ?  Slow starts and poor yeast performance can result if you don't.

2/ One smack pack (though it says otherwise on the pack) is not really enough.  Making a starter or using multiple packs gives you better yeast performance.

3/   If you use a bucket, the lids are notorious for not always sealing well, so there could be activity you're not seeing.

Give it a day or two and hopefully activity picks up. If not you could add some S05.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:57:05 am »
Too soon to worry. If it swelled, I'm sure you'll be fine.

The Eccentric Belgian was referring to the package date of the yeast.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 08:05:29 am »
2/ One smack pack (though it says otherwise on the pack) is not really enough.  Making a starter or using multiple packs gives you better yeast performance.

It's a 2 gallon batch, so borderline case, I'd say, especially if the yeast is fresh. But I would still have made a starter.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 08:14:18 am »
Stevie,
yeah, I hit the garbage and got the date.

Hoosier,
yep, hand aerated for 4.5 min before pitching, haven't had problems with buckets at all, last batch 2 gal. three weeks ago perked tremendously with dry yeast, This is only the second time I've used liquid yeast.

Frank,
I was never sure on how much to pitch, thanks for the IRL for the calculator.

Bob

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:20:37 am »

It's a 2 gallon batch

Good catch, didn't see that. One pack is plenty there.
Jon H.

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 06:45:40 am »
well, here I sit, day 4. I let the wort sit for a day, there was no reaction going on, nothing improved, so I sprinkled half a pack of west coast ale dry yeast in early yesterday morning. There is no sign of any increase in bubbling, I push the lid down and get a weak bubble coming out the blow off into the sanitizer. I have a small krausen on top of the wort and on the side of the bucket but no burping. My thoughts are to stay on schedule and test the gravity on Tuesday, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Bob

Offline BobM

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 12:29:42 pm »
Well, one week later, my FG is 1.015, predicted was 1.016, so the yeast, quietly, did what it was supposed to do. Next batch I'm back to dry yeast, maybe it will be less aggravation. I should probably use the same lid to see if the lid is the problem.

Thanks for answering my questions guys, I appreciate it.

Offline Stevie

yeast issues?
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 12:44:08 pm »
I think your bucket lid was the issue. Don't rely on airlock activity to tell you what is happening inside.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 06:07:44 pm »
The airlock won't tell you everything or maybe nothing, but it is so reassuring to hear it popping and know your yeast is on the job
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 12:28:33 pm »

3/   If you use a bucket, the lids are notorious for not always sealing well, so there could be activity you're not seeing.

I had this happen to me on a recent batch and got worried as well.  Realized it wasn't snapped down and so I had missed the "heavy bubbling" part.  Thankfully mine turned out fine and sounds like yours did to, which is good to hear.

I also realized recently that I am underpitching.  Sounds like that was good for you but I'm looking at alternatives.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

RPIScotty

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 12:30:51 pm »

I also realized recently that I am underpitching. 

How so?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 08:54:00 am »
Even with the lid fully locked it's easy to end up with a slight leak in a bucket when the rubber seal in the lid moves a little and doesn't seat correctly when you close the lid. It only takes a small opening to relieve the pressure and show zero airlock activity. I usually use the back of a pen or a kitchen utensil to push the seal against the top of the lid before closing up a beer to work its magic. That seems to avoid the seating problem.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing