Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mesquite Smoked Grain  (Read 1205 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Mesquite Smoked Grain
« on: March 02, 2016, 07:12:35 am »
Going over beers I'm intrigued by but haven't brewed I came across smoked beer. I love to BBQ and checked out what to do. I use mostly oak with a bit of mesquite and hickory. What I read about all three of these woods is that they are strong and to go lighter on the amount of grain.

Duration also was important (20-60 mins). If it is indeed powerful I figured I'd do 30 mins. I'd do this once smoking my food was completed and the fire was dying to reduce the heat.

I also read that soaking the wood in water and allowing to dry was ideal. I used to do this with my smaller pieces but didn't notice it worthwhile.

So what exactly is lighter? I'd want the smoke character to be upfront but not like licking charcoal as I found out when smoking rabbit on just mesquite. This would be for a 5.25 gal batch, though I'd start with a 2.5-3 gal test batch.

Then there is the backbone. Almost seems more appropriate to be a darker beer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Mesquite Smoked Grain
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 07:22:46 am »
15% mesquite smoked grain will give you a very prominent smoked flavor. It's going to depend a little on how much smoke you can infuse into the grain and how fresh it is when you brew with it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:25:32 am »
I haven't smoked grain with mesquite, yet, but the Briess Mesquite Smoked Malt has a nice sweet smoke flavor.

Shiner made a beer called Smokehouse a few years back that used mesquite smoked malt. It was a light colored lager.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:03:49 am »
MoreBeer used to carry that malt but apparently dropped it. Should have tried it while they had it, though this will be fun no doubt!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 03:59:40 pm »
Mesquite smoke has a very strong flavor, so you have to chose a style that will complement it.  I would think dark and roasty would be best.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 06:40:16 pm »
Mesquite smoke has a very strong flavor, so you have to chose a style that will complement it.  I would think dark and roasty would be best.

I made a saison with it and it worked really well. I could see it complementing dark beers as well.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing