Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cashmere  (Read 4490 times)

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Cashmere
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:42:40 am »
Who has used it? I picked up a half pound with my last YVH order. I hear it is nice for APA/IPA and that is how I would like to use it. Suggestions on using it alone for flavor and aroma or a suggestion for a pairing hop? Also, how strong is it…. IOW, does it take a little more like a motueka or hallertau blanc to come across or is it like a cascade/centennial, or is it over the top oil like a galaxy or citra?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Cashmere
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:44:37 am »
Its good in sweaters.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:59:41 am »
Am I the only one who now has Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" playing in their head?  Sorry. I got nothing to add.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:20:12 am »
Am I the only one who now has Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" playing in their head?  Sorry. I got nothing to add.

I went directly to sweaters, myself.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 03:57:26 pm »

The song.  That's the only reason I opened this thread.  Such a strange syncopation.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 04:13:56 pm »

The song.  That's the only reason I opened this thread.  Such a strange syncopation.
Spicolli crusing in the Transam!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 04:19:47 pm »

Spicolli crusing in the Transam!

Awesome. I remember the famous screw up in the movie - the guy talked about playing side one of Zeppelin IV, but instead played 'Kashmir' (actually from Physical Graffiti). Great movie anyway !
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 06:12:54 pm »
So really? No one here has used Cashmere yet? I'm surprised. I'll have to get back to you all after I do.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 06:18:30 pm »
So really? No one here has used Cashmere yet? I'm surprised. I'll have to get back to you all after I do.

FWIW I have some in the freezer I haven't used yet. I'll report back when I do.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 06:25:48 pm »
Please do. Ill do the same. In the meantime…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwotNLyz10

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 01:03:10 pm »
Thanks for the tunes, just what I needed this afternoon
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

BurghBeezer

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 01:20:53 pm »
Well I was planning on brewing an APA with Cashmere today but a stupid incident with my 1968 pack delays my desire to brew today.  Just got the Cashmere so haven't gotten to use it yet.

I had a pack of Wyeast 1968 that was manufactured summer 2014 so the last weekend I pulled it out and 'activated' the little nutrient pack just to see, and it took 2 days, but it did swell fully.  I had a new package from 2016 so I figured I'm not going to bother stepping up the old pack so I dumped it out.  Now my foolish need to use the 'Activator' even though I'm making a starter anyways, led to my new pack blowing out while trying to 'activate.'  So my septic got feed two yeast packs, but my future beer will not be getting 1968...

I plan on straight Bairds Pale Malt to 1.050, bitter with hop extract to 50 IBU, then whirlpool with 4oz Cashmere, 2oz Amarillo, 2oz Centennial in 5.5gal batch.  Maybe I'll brew it tomorrow instead.

I'm just guessing that it's going to be in the Cascade range of potency, but really going in blind figuring the Amarillo and Centennial will make up for potential lack of character.

Offline bhchrist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 11:01:52 am »
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has feedback on using Cashmere. I have a pound that I am planning to use some of in a 15 gallon batch of a California Common using 100% Red X Malt. The Northern Brewer x Cascade feels like a nice pairing with the Common Yeast but any feedback for someone who has brewed with it would be great.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 01:41:07 pm »
I still haven't used it. Best I can tell it is a fruity, tropical, citrusy APA/IPA type hop and that is how I intend to use it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 09:34:34 am »
I've not used this hop, but I have collected notes on it, which say:

Descriptors include MELON, lime, peach, pineapple, and a bit of spice.

Sources of this information vary but include some combination of people talking about it on the interwebs and in magazines like BYO.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.