Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 9  (Read 1986 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 9
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:50:38 am »
http://www.experimentalbrew.com/sites/default/files/ExperimentalBrewing_Episode_009_Session_Session_Whats_Your_Libation.mp3

It's Episode 9 - last call for questions before the big Q&A episode! (Send your questions to questions@experimentalbrew.com) We run off to the pub and discuss feedback abut the potential canning crisis, the unbearable BS of science, the now sold out Pacific Northwest Homebrewers Conference and Hops in Drew's hometown.

And then to the lab where the guys launch the next experiment. Is there a detectable difference between adding Olive Oil as an aeration replacement and just not adding any aeration/oxygen at all! We go into the history of the whole Olive Oil excitement and why they think everyone has it a little wrong.

With the approach of Session Beer Day - April 7th - we get beer writer extraordinaire and Session Beer Project creator, Lew Bryson on the phone and go through the history of the project, the beer day and what Lew ultimately wants to achieve!

We take a brief detour to provide everyone with some homebrew advice so you can have a session beer of your own on tap for Session Day!

Denny drops another quick tip from our AHA Forum friends - this time all about the tool box

Drew then leaves us with a musical clip for the ages!

Episode Links:

Freedom Service Dogs - https://freedomservicedogs.org/
    Pacific Northwest Homebrewers Conference - https://www.pnwhc.com/
    The Unbearable Asymmetry of Bulls*** - http://quillette.com/2016/02/15/the-unbearable-asymmetry-of-bulls***/
    Florida Hops - http://news.ufl.edu/articles/2016/02/uf-to-hop-into-hops-varieties-for-m...
    The Experiment - http://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/olive-oil-vs-no-aeration
    The Session Beer Project - http://sessionbeerproject.blogspot.com/
    Seen Through a Glass - http://lewbryson.blogspot.com/
    Why the PLCB Should Be Abolished - http://noplcb.blogspot.com/
    Andrews Sisters with the Supremes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgTsBsSngrc

Episode Contents:
00:00:00 Our Sponsors
00:02:13 Theme and Intro and Listener Feedback
00:07:50 Beer Life from the Experimental Brewing Pub - Can Shortage, THE BS of Science, Pacific Northwest Homebrewers Conference, Hops in Florida
00:24:30 Casa Verde Labs - Experiment: Olive Oil vs. No Aeration
00:33:18 Session Beer Project with Lew Bryson
01:12:45 Brew A Session Beer!
01:22:17 Quick Tip - The Tool Box
01:24:25 Something Other Than Beer - The Andrew's Sisters
01:27:06 Question of the Week, Wrap up and Coming Attractions
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:53:28 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 9
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:43:14 pm »
Listening as I type this.  Nice discussion on science - the pure quest for knowledge is really it!  As Einstein said (paraphrasing) - "If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:16:20 pm »
Denny, I have the results of my Olive Oil experiment already. Admittedly, I altered the process a little bit. Instead of brewing a control beer with no aeration and normal yeast, and a test beer with no aeration and olive oiled yeast, I just didnt brew at all. I then placed three identical clear plastic cups in a row. Two of them had no control beer in them, and the third had no test beer. My tasting pannel was my dog because my wife had gone to work. I had to interpret the results to some degree, but I'm fairly convinced they will prove accurate. My findings were 1. The tasting pannel just kind of looks at you as though to say "Really?" 2. As near as I can tell, the tasting pannel found no discernible difference between the two.

Summary, olive oil doesn't do anything
I suspect the rest of the findings will mirror my own.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:56:02 pm »
Jim, is your dog named Einstein?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:58:28 pm »
Doober

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:57:13 am »
Denny, I have the results of my Olive Oil experiment already. Admittedly, I altered the process a little bit. Instead of brewing a control beer with no aeration and normal yeast, and a test beer with no aeration and olive oiled yeast, I just didnt brew at all. I then placed three identical clear plastic cups in a row. Two of them had no control beer in them, and the third had no test beer. My tasting pannel was my dog because my wife had gone to work. I had to interpret the results to some degree, but I'm fairly convinced they will prove accurate. My findings were 1. The tasting pannel just kind of looks at you as though to say "Really?" 2. As near as I can tell, the tasting pannel found no discernible difference between the two.

Summary, olive oil doesn't do anything
I suspect the rest of the findings will mirror my own.

:)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 09:58:16 am »
Regarding the olive oil experiment, did you guys specify that dry yeast should not be used?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 09:59:23 am »
Regarding the olive oil experiment, did you guys specify that dry yeast should not be used?

IIRC, yes.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:18:28 am »
I think that was the most entertaining interview to date. 

The craft brew revolution is drinking its own children.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 08:08:50 pm »

Agreed! The interview with Lew was fantastic. I hope you guys find an excuse to bring him back every so often.

I'm just finishing the podcast now, but it was pretty timely for me. I just brewed a recipe based on a Whitbread IPA from 1957 that started at 1.037 and should end up around 3.3%. It is based on a recipe and series of articles that Ron Pattinson posted recently on his blog. Apparently Session IPA is not a recent invention. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Like Drew, I also enjoy a table saison as one of my regular summer session beers. I really like WY3711 in this style, as it leaves a pretty full mouthfeel despite the dry finish.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 08:54:05 pm »
I really enjoyed the interview on this episode. Go session beer!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 10:25:48 pm »
How about Imperial Session?

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:13:20 am »

Agreed! The interview with Lew was fantastic. I hope you guys find an excuse to bring him back every so often.

I'm just finishing the podcast now, but it was pretty timely for me. I just brewed a recipe based on a Whitbread IPA from 1957 that started at 1.037 and should end up around 3.3%. It is based on a recipe and series of articles that Ron Pattinson posted recently on his blog. Apparently Session IPA is not a recent invention. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Like Drew, I also enjoy a table saison as one of my regular summer session beers. I really like WY3711 in this style, as it leaves a pretty full mouthfeel despite the dry finish.

I certainly hope to have Lew back again.  We just picked up some equipment that will make doing phone interviews easier and better sounding and we hope to do a lot more of them.

www.dennybrew.com