Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fruit flavored IPA  (Read 4990 times)

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
Fruit flavored IPA
« on: March 02, 2016, 05:12:46 pm »
I really want to brew a fruit flavored IPA. I was thinking of something like a raspberry or peach flavor just to add some fruit to the IPA. I went to my local brew shop and told the guy that I wanted to brew and all grain IPA and add some fruit puree to make it a summery beer and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said that I definitely should not do that because the fruit and the hops would go against each other and it would be terrible. But I'm currently drinking a New Belgium tangerine IPA so I know that it works. Does anyone have any guidance or any recipes that work? Do I add less hops to work well with the fruit? Any information or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Fruit flavored IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:21:13 pm »
The current zymurgy issue has just what you may be looking for.  Peach IPA recipe, there is also a coffee and green tea IPA recipe as well.

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:47:44 pm »
Zymurgy? I'm new around here sorry. Is that another thread?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:52:01 pm »
Zymurgy is the magazine published by the AHA. You get it when you join or you can buy it by the issue at most homebrew shops. I wouldn't be likely to brew a fruit IPA, but if I did I'd probably skip the raspberry or cherry, as they are very assertive fruits. Something like peach or apricot might work better IMO. I wouldn't back off of the hops - if you do it's likely to be more fruit beer than anything. My $0.02  .
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 05:54:35 pm »
It's the membership magazine,  if you just joined, you won't get that issue and if you have not joined, no issues. The magazine itself is worth the price of membershio, especially for a new brewer. Tons of articles, recipes, tips, and a Q&A section where readers can send in their questions to be answered by one in the know.
     Back to your original question though, it can work but I have not done so myself. Someone with experience is probably posting some thoughts as I write this though
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 06:08:31 pm »
Thanks for the reply guys

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 06:15:40 pm »
To better answer your question, I'd recommend brewing an IPA finished with fruity hops that could compliment apricot or peach. Hops like Mosaic, Azacca, Galaxy and Citra come to mind. After fermentation is complete, rack to a secondary fermenter and add a 48 oz can of apricot or peach puree. Let ferment for 10-14 days, then package. This might be just what you're after. Good luck !
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 06:50:47 pm »
IPA aged on Grape Fruit or orange in a secondary (or firkin) is awesome. I imagine you could do the same with any fruit.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 07:03:22 pm »
I put puréed mandarin oranges in pale ales once fermentation slows and I love it. I don't use very much so it seems to just reinforce some of the hop character.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 07:12:42 pm »
I like the above info. If I were to fruit an IPA, id go citrus (orange, grapefruit, tangerine), pineapple, mango or apricot. It would be a fruit that enhances the hop character. With my experience with a peach beer, it turned out mudded. I'd go apricot instead, because it's more acidic with a similar flavor.

I would also showcase hops that are similar to, or compliment, the fruit involved.

I don't know if I'd ever fruit an IPA, but that doesn't mean that I don't like it. I am really digging Ballast Point's Pineapple Sculpin right now!
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 07:13:42 pm »
I've been kicking around the idea of a passionfruit IPA for a while now. I might actually try it this summer now that I've discovered Vic Secret hops.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 07:15:37 pm »
I recommend an IPA that features cascade hops with grapefruit added at the end of fermentation. Cascade and grapefruit are best friends IMO. I put an entire Grapefruit, including skin, through a vegetabe juicer and added it about a week into fermentation in a 2.5 gallon batch of an IPA with a lot of cascade in awhirlpool and it was amazing.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 07:30:48 pm »
I like the above info. If I were to fruit an IPA, id go citrus (orange, grapefruit, tangerine), pineapple, mango or apricot. It would be a fruit that enhances the hop character. With my experience with a peach beer, it turned out mudded. I'd go apricot instead, because it's more acidic with a similar flavor.

I would also showcase hops that are similar to, or compliment, the fruit involved.

I don't know if I'd ever fruit an IPA, but that doesn't mean that I don't like it. I am really digging Ballast Point's Pineapple Sculpin right now!
Although I have not tried, I would think pineapple, mango or apricot would go well with citra.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline xZ1mM3r

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 07:58:50 pm »
Awesome! I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the info. Lots of great ideas in here

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 03:38:19 am »

Although I have not tried, I would think pineapple, mango or apricot would go well with citra.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I totally agree. I also think meridian would be a great player with apricot.
Frank