Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fruit flavored IPA  (Read 4948 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: Fruit flavored IPA
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 05:29:08 am »
IPA aged on Grape Fruit or orange in a secondary (or firkin) is awesome. I imagine you could do the same with any fruit.

My early morning eyes dyslexed this to firkin awesome.  Which it is.   ;D

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 05:32:07 am »
Just use the Conan yeast strain with a ton of citra/Galaxy/eureka at flame out and dry hopping and you won't need any actual real fruit
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 05:55:34 am »
IPA aged on Grape Fruit or orange in a secondary (or firkin) is awesome. I imagine you could do the same with any fruit.

I am doing a "Firkin Tuesday" at the brewery now every Tuesday and the citrus fruits in IPA (usually blended with a dry hop) have been turning out really, really nice. So easy to do to, I just was the outsides really well then chop it fine enough to fit through a funnel into firkin opening. 10-14 days and they are ready. You could do the same thing in a corny or secondary.

Upcoming I have a Kolsch on mandarin oranges and mandarina bavaria hops and honey dew melon on Hull Melon hops. Both of these I have in carboys aging waiting for firkins to come available. I purees the melon so it has to age in a secondary to be sure.

This stuff is really easy to do and just takes some experimenting.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 05:58:11 am »
Upcoming I have a Kolsch on mandarin oranges and mandarina bavaria hops and honey dew melon on Hull Melon hops. Both of these I have in carboys aging waiting for firkins to come available. I purees the melon so it has to age in a secondary to be sure.

That sounds great, Keith.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 07:09:32 am »

I am doing a "Firkin Tuesday" at the brewery now every Tuesday and the citrus fruits in IPA (usually blended with a dry hop) have been turning out really, really nice. So easy to do to, I just was the outsides really well then chop it fine enough to fit through a funnel into firkin opening. 10-14 days and they are ready. You could do the same thing in a corny or secondary.

With the citrus are you using the whole fruit or just the zest? If whole fruit, are you getting any off flavors from the pith? Is it worth doing juice + zest to avoid the pith?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 07:35:23 am »
I have the planed peel (no pith) of four Ruby Red grapefruits soaking in vodka. After one week, the vodka is murky orange/yellow and heavily laden with grapefruit taste.

For me, I will not add this to the keg but per-glass to keep things interesting. My IIPA with and without grapefruit. To me, this is the way to go.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 12:59:37 pm »
I didn't think I'd ever do this and by thinking on this thread and drinking Ballast point pineapple, I think I might try a pineapple IPA. I have a habanero/mango APA to brew first. I created the recipe for that two years ago and have never gotten to it. I have an IIPA up next, and Hab/mango on deck. But I think over the summer, a pineapple IPA sounds good. I'm thinking a 1.070 gravity range. I'll probably bitter clean with warrior. Then finish it hard with Citra/meridian/Azacca or something similar. Ferment it with 001. Look to rack it on 3-5 lb of puréed pineapple in the secondary. Then, of course, dry hop.
Frank

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 02:51:42 pm »
Funny Frank, this thread, and maybe your comment, got me to pick up a 6er of Pineapple Sculpin this afternoon
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 03:26:15 pm »
Funny Frank, this thread, and maybe your comment, got me to pick up a 6er of Pineapple Sculpin this afternoon

Been wanting to try that but still can't bring myself to spend $15 on a six pack. I suppose it is a lot cheaper than going to the bar and only 50% more than I would spend on a normal six pack. You've convinced me. Thanks!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 03:55:34 pm »
Yeah don't know what i was thinking. Found myself at my favorite bottle shop, Jungle Jim's International Market and dropped $184 on 10 special release bombers and 3 six packs. Don't tell the wife
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 04:04:43 pm »

Been wanting to try that but still can't bring myself to spend $15 on a six pack. I suppose it is a lot cheaper than going to the bar and only 50% more than I would spend on a normal six pack. You've convinced me. Thanks!

I just had it in a bottle this afternoon. It has a smoother feel and better with it on tab. But go figure, that's the case with about 85%. I like this better than Grapefruit sculpin. Not that I don't dislike grapefruit sculpin? It's just tough to differentiate between it and regular sculpin to me lol.

Grapefruit Sculpin comes in cans, I hope this will too!
Frank

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 07:47:27 pm »
I didn't like the pineapple out of a bottle. Aroma was good, flavor was a bit meh.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 05:18:38 am »

With the citrus are you using the whole fruit or just the zest? If whole fruit, are you getting any off flavors from the pith? Is it worth doing juice + zest to avoid the pith?

I have done it a few ways. I have crushed the fruit so as not to add the juice (I suspect this is how some of the larger breweries are doing it, like Sculpin - getting crushed fruit from juice makers) And I guess when I mean crushed I really mean squeazed. I have also just added the fruit uncrushed and chopped small.

As far as the pith there is very little pith that comes in contact with the beer but there is a slight added pithy bitterness but I honestly think you have to search for it and I really don't think it detracts from the fresh fruit flavor you get in the beer. It really is delicious and has become one of my favorite ways of drinking IPA.

Offline leesmith024

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 06:32:23 am »
I have added grapefruit to an IPA before. What I did was zest and juice 4 grapefruits into a small pot. Brought it up to 160 for about 30 to pasteurize and added that with the dry hops right to primary. You get loads of flavor and aroma.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 07:10:01 am »
I have added grapefruit to an IPA before. What I did was zest and juice 4 grapefruits into a small pot. Brought it up to 160 for about 30 to pasteurize and added that with the dry hops right to primary. You get loads of flavor and aroma.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Personally I feel that it is totally unnecessary to sanitize the zest. Citrus zest is naturally anti-microbial (though not not entirely impervious, obviously). I do wash the outside but adding whole fruit to a secondary or to a firkin has never caused a problem. I have made tinctures with vodka and if you are really worried about contamination that may be a better approach.