Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Pils  (Read 4454 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
First Pils
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:21:44 pm »
Im going to take a swing at a pils. Im not really trying too hard to nail the guidelines, not trying to IT the heck out of... it. Moderate bitterness and lots of hop flavor and aroma is what im shooting for.

5%
95% Best Pils
5% CaraPils
Mashed low and long
Will build my water, CaSO4 mostly
German Magnum at 60 for about 25 IBUs
40g Sapfir and 40g Tettnanger 170/30
40g Saphir and 40g Tettnanger dry hop 4 days once I hit TG and no D
Then I'm crashing and gell fining.

Anyone ever wirlpool or dry hop a pils?

Offline jmitchell3

• Cellarman
Re: First Pils
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:37:52 pm »
I brewed my first pils today, cloning firestone's pivo pils. Recipe calls for 2oz dry hop with saphir on 5 gals....couldnt get saphir at my lhbs, so got hallertauer blanc instead. So yeah, 2oz hallertauer blanc in 5 gals dry hopped for 5 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:22:33 pm »
I don't see why you couldn't treat an experimental pils with any sort of hop treatment for BJCP specialty beer guidelines. Wide open. if you were considering a submission.

Some of the commercial Czech pils I've had have been remarkably hoppy and aromatic. Great beeers.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:26:37 pm »
Next brew day is lagers again. Probably last of the season. One will be my German Exportbier, and I'm just looking for something fun and new to go next to it. I'll just go for it and see what happens

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:43:32 pm »
I brew a dry-hopped Pils pretty often, but it probably ends up closer to an APA than a Pils. I use Motueka and Sterling, two Saaz descendants that have some nice citrus character to them as you push the hopping rates. Makes for a great summer beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 01:19:41 am »
Cool Eric, sounds like I'm tracking right. Thanks

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 07:16:51 am »
I brew a pale lager that is dry hopped with sterling and crystal with great results for me. My amounts are very modest though....
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 07:25:08 am »

I've whirlpooled with nice results on German and Bopils. I go fairly short, like 20 mins @ 170F. Comes out nice.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:03:16 am »
I've tried soft water (Czech Pils-style), and it wasn't what I was looking for. I think you're on the right track with the Gypsum addition. I'm at about 130ppm in my hoppy lagers and that's right where I like it. Again, this ends up closer to an APA in hop character, so YMMV depending on what you're shooting for.

I brew a pale lager that is dry hopped with sterling and crystal with great results for me. My amounts are very modest though....
I got some Crystal for just this purpose. I hear it's similar to Sterling in that it has noble character but can get fruity as you push the hopping rate.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 08:25:51 am »
I've tried soft water (Czech Pils-style), and it wasn't what I was looking for. I think you're on the right track with the Gypsum addition. I'm at about 130ppm in my hoppy lagers and that's right where I like it. Again, this ends up closer to an APA in hop character, so YMMV depending on what you're shooting for.

I got some Crystal for just this purpose. I hear it's similar to Sterling in that it has noble character but can get fruity as you push the hopping rate.

Yeah I haven't experimented with upping the rates of either yet but would like to. I use a relatively small amount of sterling/crystal late in the boil and at dry hop. At the amount I use, they come off as noble hops with just a touch of citrus character to me.

On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 08:54:21 am »
Im going to take a swing at a pils. Im not really trying too hard to nail the guidelines, not trying to IT the heck out of... it. Moderate bitterness and lots of hop flavor and aroma is what im shooting for.

5%
95% Best Pils
5% CaraPils
Mashed low and long

Just so happens I'm brewing a German pils today.  I sometimes use 10% dark Munich for them, but usually it's 100% pils malt.  That's what I'm doing today.  Using the boiled Jever water profile, 90 min. mash at 148.  FWH with Hallertauer Herbrucker, Hallertauer at 60, then more Hallertauer Hers. at flameout.  No whirlpool hops, no dry hop.  Although my flameout addition kinda becomes a whirlpool addition by default.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 09:25:42 am »

5%
95% Best Pils
5% CaraPils
Mashed low and long

Just so happens I'm brewing a German pils today.  I sometimes use 10% dark Munich for them, but usually it's 100% pils malt.  That's what I'm doing today.  Using the boiled Jever water profile, 90 min. mash at 148.  FWH with Hallertauer Herbrucker, Hallertauer at 60, then more Hallertauer Hers. at flameout.  No whirlpool hops, no dry hop.  Although my flameout addition kinda becomes a whirlpool addition by default.
SMaSH brewing!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 10:33:58 am »

I've whirlpooled with nice results on German and Bopils. I go fairly short, like 20 mins @ 170F. Comes out nice.

I like this approach as well, don't have much if any interest in dry hopping a pils. To me, noble hop pleasure is not about intensity.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 10:53:03 am »

I like this approach as well, don't have much if any interest in dry hopping a pils. To me, noble hop pleasure is not about intensity.

Agreed.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 04:33:16 pm »
I brewed a pilsner last month and split the batch in half after chilling the wort. One half got fermented with M-44 @ 68 and the other got S-34/70 @ 52f.
I dry hopped the ale version with glacier and the lager with saaz and wakatu.
The ale version was bottled last week and the lager part was racked into another carboy and placed in the lager chest.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women