Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Pils  (Read 4419 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: First Pils
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 04:37:58 pm »
Be sure (if you haven't) to set the dilution tab to RO and whatever % of RO you're using. I use all RO so I set the dilution tab to RO 100%.

I set my initial profile up with the RO profile and then set the dilution to zero when I redid everything. After my last post I went to Braukaiser and looked at some water profiles. I added 0.3 # acidulated malt which brought everything in line without the need for an acid addition.

I then changed it to "yellow balanced" and got something very much like what I have already except it has 7 ppm magnesium. Hmmm. Pilsen or yellow balanced?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 04:40:21 pm »
I really like yellow balanced (or a variation of) for most pale lagers. Just preference.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 04:52:12 pm »
"Pilsen" is water profile you might find In that region; it's not necessarily what a brewer ends up using to brew with. It's like using whatever you well water has in it for minerals, and then adjusting to something like yellow balanced.  IMO you will be happy with the yellow balanced for standard pils, and more hoppy like northern German pils you'd up the sulfate to 90-100ppm as an example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 04:59:49 pm »
Yellow balanced it is! I'll try the pilsen some other time.

I rebuilding my stocks of beer and want more predictable results.

Thanks guys!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis