Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rochefort 4  (Read 14672 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Rochefort 4
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2016, 12:11:48 pm »
That is dark, dark, dark
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

RPIScotty

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2016, 12:22:33 pm »
Really dark. Holy cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 69franx

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2016, 12:25:31 pm »
With no experience with candi syrups, would a larger sub(>1.4%) with something like the mentioned D180 get you there, or just too much of a difference? Derek I know you have experience with the candi syrups. Just future musings...
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

RPIScotty

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2016, 12:34:54 pm »
"It's so black, it's like, how much more black could it be. The answer is none. None more black." (beersk where you at!)

Using our favorite Belgian posters sugar:

(965 (SRM) * .067 (lbs))/3 (gal) = ~21 MCU contribution

(21 (MCU) * 3 (gal))/180 (SRM) = 0.35 (lbs) of D180

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2016, 01:00:00 pm »
That has GOT to be wrong.  The finished beer is only 33 EBC.  1900 EBC for the syrup comes out to 965 SRM!  I've never seen or heard of anything that dark.  Where did that come from?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2016, 01:08:50 pm »
That has GOT to be wrong.  The finished beer is only 33 EBC.  1900 EBC for the syrup comes out to 965 SRM!  I've never seen or heard of anything that dark.  Where did that come from?

Yeah, no way.  33EBC is like 16.76 SRM.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2016, 01:09:09 pm »
If I follow his grist %s, and change the SRM to 965 for the D180 as an example, I get a projected SRM of 18.3, just a bit darker than his projection of 16.9. Still no idea where to get something @ 1900EBC here in the states, but for a 6G batch batch, its only 2.8oz so I guess it cant offer much more than color at that rate?
Frank L.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2016, 01:11:21 pm »
The recipe calls for the sugar, not the syrup, as I'm reading it. It makes a lot more sense that way.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2016, 01:12:44 pm »
Yes, I see that it does. Again, my lack of experience with candi sugar of any type has thrown me off track. Good catch
Frank L.

RPIScotty

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2016, 01:13:58 pm »

The recipe calls for the sugar, not the syrup, as I'm reading it. It makes a lot more sense that way.
even so the highest SRM value that I have ever seen for sugar is 275 for the dark and even that's acknowledged to not likely be representative of the actual value

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2016, 01:26:15 pm »

even so the highest SRM value that I have ever seen for sugar is 275 for the dark and even that's acknowledged to not likely be representative of the actual value
Interesting. I'm not super familiar with the sugar, so I just assumed that it was a lot darker by weight than the syrup. I have brewers caramel that is 33,000 EBC, so it is certainly possible to have something in that range. But I have no idea what is commercially available to a home brewer, either in the US or Europe.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2016, 01:31:48 pm »
I'm gonna check my old brewing notes later. The first time I made the recipe I made it as is, using the sugar, because syrups weren't readily available here yet. Then I switched over to working D180 into the recipe. I don't remember the dark sugar being any darker looking than a deep brown. Hopefully I wrote down a color rating for it. I'll post later.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2016, 02:15:20 pm »
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2016, 02:18:33 pm »
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2016, 02:21:01 pm »
I picked the darkest syrup I could find because the "Rochefort 4" is a relatively low alcohol beer, so I wanted to use as little sugar as possible without losing the color and the figs/raisins flavor.
Frank P.