Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rochefort 4  (Read 14665 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Rochefort 4
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2016, 09:44:34 am »
Because Rochefort water has relatively high alkalinity. Pre-boil Ca 82 and 245 bicarbonates, post-boil Ca 28 and 80 bicarbonates. Don't know what the good monks use, but according to BLAM they don't modify it in the mash...
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2016, 10:07:51 am »
Because Rochefort water has relatively high alkalinity. Pre-boil Ca 82 and 245 bicarbonates, post-boil Ca 28 and 80 bicarbonates. Don't know what the good monks use, but according to BLAM they don't modify it in the mash...

There are many roads to the same destination, grasshopper.  Just becasue that's what they do doesn't man you necessarily have to do the same.  I certainly don't do what you propose and using pretty much the same recipe my beer tastes remarkably like the real thing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2016, 11:30:20 am »

There are many roads to the same destination, grasshopper.  Just becasue that's what they do doesn't man you necessarily have to do the same.  I certainly don't do what you propose and using pretty much the same recipe my beer tastes remarkably like the real thing.
Duh, I bet you use Special B too ;)
Frank P.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2016, 12:01:19 pm »

Duh, I bet you use Special B too ;)

If it makes it taste right, damn betcha Skippy!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2016, 12:30:49 pm »
Does anyone know where I can buy this stuff or is it Monastery only?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2016, 12:46:00 pm »
Does anyone know where I can buy this stuff or is it Monastery only?
Do you mean Rochefort 4? I think the OP is just trying to build a lower strength version of the originals based on his own observations, so its not available to my knowledge. But its a recipe I am interested in as well
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »
I thought it was a Rochefort Trappist Patersbier, if not obviously I feel like an idiot, will not be the last time either.

Either way I really want to get ahold of this beer, and if the only option I have is to brew it, don't tempt me.  I don't need any more reasons to keep brewing.  It would have to wait though.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2016, 01:07:44 pm »
I thought it was a Rochefort Trappist Patersbier, if not obviously I feel like an idiot, will not be the last time either.

Either way I really want to get ahold of this beer, and if the only option I have is to brew it, don't tempt me.  I don't need any more reasons to keep brewing.  It would have to wait though.

The one in the OP doesn't exist in the "real" world, which is why he's trying to make it.  The 6,8, and 10 are pretty widely available.  The recipe I posted can be made as a 6, 8, or 10 simply by changing the amount of sugar used.  And the flavor is incredibly close to the real thing.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2016, 01:21:55 pm »
And there's still room for a Rochefort 2 as well ;)
Frank P.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2016, 01:44:57 pm »
And there's still room for a Rochefort 2 as well ;)

That's where you look at a glass of 10 from across the room

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2016, 01:45:58 pm »
That's where you look at a glass of 10 from across the room

Ok, that's pretty awesome. Kudos  ;D
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2016, 01:58:08 pm »

In the end I didn't add the wheat. Unfortunately a bit darker and sweeter than the 6, so not all my goals were achieved. But definitely a recognizable member of the Rochefort family. Hint of coriander, full mouthfeel, Rochefort yeast. In my opinion special b is not required. Very quaffable. So all in all pretty satisfied. If you want to brew this, maybe lower the amount of cara malt a bit.
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2016, 01:59:24 pm »
Looks tasty!
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2016, 11:23:11 am »
So I entered this beer in the Open Dutch Championship in the "open" class, which means you have to submit the recipe with the beer. No prize (not sufficiently innovative), but ended in the top 10 as a "complex" beer. The c-word is the highest praise one can get.

This is what I would change the next time:
- add a bit more hops (judge complained about this)
- ferment even lower than 18C(?) because I got complaints about too much banana esters.
- decrease the amount of syrup, as the "4" was a bit darker than the 6.
- submit the kegged version instead of the one with sugar added to the bottle. The kegged version tasted much fresher.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:40:29 am by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.