Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brü's Views with Vinnie Cilurzo | On Going Pro  (Read 5045 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Brü's Views with Vinnie Cilurzo | On Going Pro
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 05:38:31 pm »
They say to take your estimated expenses and multiply it by 3. I think you should also take your estimated talent, knowledge, and energy and multiply it by 3.
I am taking that, oh yeah! Good way to say it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 05:42:00 pm »
They say to take your estimated expenses and multiply it by 3. I think you should also take your estimated talent, knowledge, and energy and multiply it by 3.
I am taking that, oh yeah! Good way to say it.

Awesome. I can vouch that a fair number of new breweries in Indy overestimate their talent and knowledge FWIW. ;)
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 05:52:19 pm »
There's a way around this. Surroud yourself with people who have 3 times the talent, knowledge and energy.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 05:58:48 pm »
Yup.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »
Sounds like how I graduated from college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 07:07:11 pm »
There's a way around this. Surroud yourself with people who have 3 times the talent, knowledge and energy.

I agree. So do successful entrepreneurs. As long as they don't edge you out once success happens... :o

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 07:11:57 pm »
When I started home brewing, like many I dreamed of going pro. A few years later, and I don't feel the same way. I feel all the stress of running a business based around brewing would just be too much.

Just look at some of the things that can be fun to a home brewer, but pose a problem for brewers. Say there's a shortage of your most popular beer. Home brewer? You find a new hop, and you friends still love you for the free beer. Pro brewer? Who knows how people will react to the change?

The one thing that still is attractive to me about pro brewing is the equipment and the processes used to brew. However, this can all be adapted to the home brew level with some work/expense. That's something I intend to explore once I've finished my degree.

Keep in mind though, I love my day job.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 07:12:48 pm »
You left out the money part.

Edit - keep control somehow. More than a few have been forced out by their "friends".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 09:58:10 pm »
You left out the money part.

Edit - keep control somehow. More than a few have been forced out by their "friends".
If you can't do it all on your own, control is an illusion. See, the way to surround yourself with awesome people is to attract them. That takes something that cant be explained in a post. The way to keep them is to give them the authority to use their awesomeness,  and by giving them credit for their success. Awesome employees deserve an awesome boss, and they will go find one if you can't do it.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 10:01:21 pm »
Like many of you it too was my dream to open a brewery someday.  Now....not so much.  I literally sat down one day and did a whole pro/con list.  Needless to say the "pro" list wasn't very long once you get passed the "romanticism" of owning a brewery.  I often wonder what brewery owners long term vision is.  Let's face it.  There are more and more breweries competing for limited tap/shelf space and there is a practical limit of how much beer you can move through your own tap room.  Here is the thing. I see a lot of well educated, extremely talented people starting breweries.  What happens when the brewery reaches a point where it has reached its equilibrium and its not really feasible to grow?  They have reached the top of the breweries earning potential.  Unfortunately that profit does not let them do things like own a house or send your kids to college.  Very few make a good living in the brewing industry.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 07:32:59 pm »
Whew...Glad you guys talked us out of going pro...Great write-up...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 08:26:49 pm »
My favorite response to questions about opening a brewery (at least 3-4 times a month) is that the best way to make a small fortune in brewing is to start with a large fortune.

That usually stops the questions in their tracks  -  I enjoy the hobby and my beers are good enough that many people ask me for them.  I can't drink all that I make, so I gladly oblige those who ask, but don't expect an unlimited supply.  I am sure my beers suck compared to the big hitters on this forum, but I am happy to share.

No pro for me - but I know a few pros that are happily brewing their dream.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 12:25:35 pm »
Absolutely you do need good recipes or you could just borrow some very good internet recipes.;) It can be done and yes you can make money. I'm proof of that for the last 2 of 3 years any way.

It all depends on how you approach it. Opening a brewery is way to much for one person to do alone. You have to realistic about it. New stuff and labor cost a lot of money and unless you have that million, you have to borrow it and pay it back. So comprise is the rule, (for me anyway), everyone likes the nice new brew house and all that is needed to make it go, who doesn't. I didn't have that million, but I did have craigslist and the benefit of a mentor who took the same plunge a couple years earlier to lean on. (Thanks Leos!)

That said my equipment looks like huge homebrew equipment made from dairy equipment and plastic fermenters. I have had to build a few things like a keg washer, bottler and labeler. There is a lot of work involved, a big thank you to the forklift inventor. I was fortunate to have had a job in manufacturing so I had a very good idea on the how boring this work can be and is at times. A brewing education would be a plus. Just like any occupation you have to really be into it, to survive and thrive in it.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 01:31:26 pm »
Absolutely you do need good recipes or you could just borrow some very good internet recipes.;) It can be done and yes you can make money. I'm proof of that for the last 2 of 3 years any way.

It all depends on how you approach it. Opening a brewery is way to much for one person to do alone. You have to realistic about it. New stuff and labor cost a lot of money and unless you have that million, you have to borrow it and pay it back. So comprise is the rule, (for me anyway), everyone likes the nice new brew house and all that is needed to make it go, who doesn't. I didn't have that million, but I did have craigslist and the benefit of a mentor who took the same plunge a couple years earlier to lean on. (Thanks Leos!)

That said my equipment looks like huge homebrew equipment made from dairy equipment and plastic fermenters. I have had to build a few things like a keg washer, bottler and labeler. There is a lot of work involved, a big thank you to the forklift inventor. I was fortunate to have had a job in manufacturing so I had a very good idea on the how boring this work can be and is at times. A brewing education would be a plus. Just like any occupation you have to really be into it, to survive and thrive in it.
That's awesome that you can make it work. I am curious how many small breweries make it after 10-15 years.  If it is like any other small business chances are they won't be around or that it will be under different ownership.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 06:46:30 pm »

Having guest brewed my beers a few times, I can say with conviction, Why ruin a good hobby?

I tell people that, and I also say I know how to make beer, I don't have any idea about selling beer.

AGREED!  I've spent enough time brewing in a commercial brewery to convince me it's not something I'd ever want to do as a job.
It is a job but not a bad job to my opinion. Now I am responsible for 10 people thou.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com