Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SN Torpedo  (Read 3708 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: SN Torpedo
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 12:20:52 pm »
I had a Torpedo last night (also from the 4-way pack) and I really like it.  Probably my second favorite out of the pack, with #1 being the Rye.  I also like the 5 Hop Experimental.  The Hop Hunter to me is a little weird in the flavor and aroma.  Not bad, just different.  You can tell the difference between the whole hops and the distilled oil.

Different strokes for different folks.

Very much so...I find the rye to be pretty wimpy flavor and rye-wise.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 12:59:11 pm »
For some reason, not a fan.  There's no Cascade in it.  I think one of the reasons I dislike it is the Magnum finishing hops.

Really? I get a very similar aroma compared to the Pale Ale.

Hmmmmm....maybe that explains something!  ;)

Just look at the SN website to see the differences.

Would you believe what they were doing hopping the Pale on the day I toured through Mills River was different from the website? Bravo, cascade, cascade and a little chinook and centennial. Different from the website, but there is a disclaimer on the website.

"Brewing is as much art as science, and all beer specifications and raw materials are subject to change at our brewers' creative discretion."
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 01:31:10 pm »
For some reason, not a fan.  There's no Cascade in it.  I think one of the reasons I dislike it is the Magnum finishing hops.

Would you believe what they were doing hopping the Pale on the day I toured through Mills River was different from the website? Bravo, cascade, cascade and a little chinook and centennial. Different from the website, but there is a disclaimer on the website.

"Brewing is as much art as science, and all beer specifications and raw materials are subject to change at our brewers' creative discretion."

Well, there ya go...and I trusted 'em! 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 01:48:06 pm »

That disclaimer showed up a few months back. Too many people must have seen the dry marker board in the hop room.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 01:55:40 pm »

That disclaimer showed up a few months back. Too many people must have seen the dry marker board in the hop room.

So then the question becomes, are they making a different beer when they do that?  I'd argue yes.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 02:00:20 pm »
yes that is true, but without reading that, would you have known?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 02:03:33 pm »

So then the question becomes, are they making a different beer when they do that?  I'd argue yes.

I think they were compensating for a less than optimal Cascade crop. It was 28 lb cascade lot 1, 28 lb cascade lot2, 5 lb chinook, 5 lb centennial. The different lots of cascade in the same addition was also of interest.

Can you make the same beer if the ingredients have changed due to crop differences? We would think nothing about adjustments for AA differences.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:07:45 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 02:09:11 pm »

Maybe...since I'm not a fan of Torpedo I haven't tried it in ages.  I have to think that changing ingredients will change the flavor  At least, that's the way it works in my brewery. ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 02:10:11 pm »
I think they were compensating for a less than optimal Cascade crop. It was 28 lb cascade lot 1, 28 lb cascade lot2, 5 lb chinook, 5 lb centennial. The different lots of cascade in the same addition was also of interest.

Can you make the same beer if the ingredients have changed due to crop differences? We would think nothing about adjustments for AA differences.

OK, I can go with that, but they're at least maintaining the same variety of hop.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 02:12:52 pm »

Maybe...since I'm not a fan of Torpedo I haven't tried it in ages.  I have to think that changing ingredients will change the flavor  At least, that's the way it works in my brewery. ;)

well not just that one, but any of SN's beers.  I think you'd be surprised how many beers (not just SN) change the recipe either due to harvest or supply conditions.  FW and RR are ones that come to mind that also change with some frequency.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 02:46:08 pm »

well not just that one, but any of SN's beers.  I think you'd be surprised how many beers (not just SN) change the recipe either due to harvest or supply conditions.  FW and RR are ones that come to mind that also change with some frequency.

Can't think of any names off the top of my head, but I've been able to pick out hop variety changes in other commercial beers.

www.dennybrew.com