Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mead in a Conical  (Read 3088 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Mead in a Conical
« on: March 07, 2016, 10:21:01 am »
OK, time for another dumb question.  Is there any drawback to doing the primary fermentation of melomel in a stainless conical?  In my research I only see fermentations in carboys. 
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Mead in a Conical
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 11:24:19 am »
OK, time for another dumb question.  Is there any drawback to doing the primary fermentation of melomel in a stainless conical?  In my research I only see fermentations in carboys.
I always use a plastic pail type fermenter for primary then transfer to a carboy. A carboy would actually suck for a primary fermenter for mead because you are regularly adding nutrient and degassing, often by inserting a paddle and stirring. I also very often have fruit in a mesh bag so a carboy wouldn't work.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:03 pm »
Thanks Pete.  You spoke against carboys but said nothing about conicals, so I infer that they are OK.  Thanks also for the idea of mesh bags for fruit.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 12:14:29 pm »
Thanks Pete.  You spoke against carboys but said nothing about conicals, so I infer that they are OK.  Thanks also for the idea of mesh bags for fruit.
I've never used a conical, Steve, so I figured if I gave you the relevant info you would know better than me. It seems to me there would not be a problem.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 04:50:48 pm »
Why wouldn't a conical be ok? My only concern would be tying up the conical for a while. I guess that can be minimized with the SNA techniques that Ken Schramm champions.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 05:20:04 pm »
Why wouldn't a conical be ok? My only concern would be tying up the conical for a while. I guess that can be minimized with the SNA techniques that Ken Schramm champions.
Mead isn't in the primary that long anyway, irregardless of nutrient regimens, maybe two weeks. You do need carboys for secondary and aging though, you want the small neck to minimize air contact.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 06:16:40 pm »
Thanks guys.  I should be able to get this started tomorrow.  The local honey place only had blackberry honey which sounded good to me.  I was thinking about doing a peach melomel but given the honey is blackberry I bought a can of blackberry squeezins (blackberry puree made for winemakers).
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 05:23:37 am »
Thanks guys.  I should be able to get this started tomorrow.  The local honey place only had blackberry honey which sounded good to me.  I was thinking about doing a peach melomel but given the honey is blackberry I bought a can of blackberry squeezins (blackberry puree made for winemakers).
I think blackberry is a good choice Steve, I find berry melomels pretty forgiving and I like how they look. They also naturally have tannins and provide some acidity.
Btw varietal honey doesn't really taste like the fruit. Blackberry honey just means that the bees foraged mainly on blackberry blossoms. That will show up in floral notes etc., not as blackberry flavor. That being said it doesn't mean there won't be a nice synergy there.
Peach melomel is harder to pull off. We have a very prolific peach tree and are able to make it with a ton of peaches that are super ripe and fresh. It really takes a lot of peaches and some acidity in the form of other fruits or acid additions to bring out the flavor.