Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1450  (Read 4100 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« on: March 03, 2016, 08:20:52 pm »
So I just tapped my imperial hoppy Amber tonight. This was the first time I've used 1450. The hops are hoppy as ever. I don't get a heavier maltiness to it like people say, but I do get a heavier mouthfeel that essentuates the malt greatly. Pretty much what I expected. The one odd think is, is that I pick up the the ever so slightest hint of  cinnamon on the back end. Please tell me I'm normal for catching this, or you can just say that I'm smoking rocks too. Id rather be normal because crack is whack.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:27:13 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: 1450
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:34:48 pm »
Great yeast, huh?  Not malty, just nice mouthfeel. Never picked up on that per se. Maybe the hop combo combined with the grist?
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 04:26:51 am »
Hop combo it equal parts simcoe, Columbus, centennial, and Equinox at FW, whirlpool, and dry hop. The grist is 49% two row, 49% Munich, and 2% C120.

I'm sure I'll try again tonight. It wasn't a bad thing. It was just different and very faint.
Frank

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 05:55:15 am »
I use 1450 fairly often and have not got that. I hear that the rock that's around these days is nicknamed "apple pie" and finishes with a lingering cinnamon or nutmeg numbness on the tongue.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 06:35:57 am »
Hmmm. I'll need to taste harder next time. I'll post a pic of it here in a handful of days. I just pulled the dry hops so it'll need to clear out.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 06:39:14 am »
I hear that the rock that's around these days is nicknamed "apple pie" and finishes with a lingering cinnamon or nutmeg numbness on the tongue.

Funny stuff.    ;D
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 07:25:38 am »
Great yeast, huh?  Not malty, just nice mouthfeel. Never picked up on that per se. Maybe the hop combo combined with the grist?

I'm thinking of using this one in that imperial hoppy porter we discussed J. 

Great yeast, but particularly for ambers, browns, stouts and porters...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 07:33:28 am »
I'm thinking of using this one in that imperial hoppy porter we discussed J. 

Great yeast, but particularly for ambers, browns, stouts and porters...

Yeah, it's at the top of my list for those styles. APA sometimes, too. It'd be killer in that big porter.
Jon H.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 09:21:33 am »
I even like it in IPA. It helps me get the malt backbone I like without a lot of sweetness. 80% pale malt, 20% Munich +1450 works for me with just a little sugar for a dry finish.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 09:30:31 am »
So I just tapped my imperial hoppy Amber tonight. This was the first time I've used 1450. The hops are hoppy as ever. I don't get a heavier maltiness to it like people say, but I do get a heavier mouthfeel that essentuates the malt greatly. Pretty much what I expected. The one odd think is, is that I pick up the the ever so slightest hint of  cinnamon on the back end. Please tell me I'm normal for catching this, or you can just say that I'm smoking rocks too. Id rather be normal because crack is whack.

Every time I hear somebody say that 1450 accentuates malt I kinda shake my head.  I may have used it more than anyone and I've never felt that.  And I've never noticed a cinnamon note, either.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 09:31:37 am »
I even like it in IPA. It helps me get the malt backbone I like without a lot of sweetness. 80% pale malt, 20% Munich +1450 works for me with just a little sugar for a dry finish.

I use it in AIPA more than anything else.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 09:41:30 am »

Every time I hear somebody say that 1450 accentuates malt I kinda shake my head.  I may have used it more than anyone and I've never felt that.  And I've never noticed a cinnamon note, either.
I think that to my perception it doesn't so much accentuate malt but complements it.I get mouth feel from it. That doesn't make it taste more strongly of malt but makes it feel like it is sweeter.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 09:47:00 am »
I get a full, round mouthfeel from it but not an underattenuated, overly malty character.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 10:29:15 am »
I get a full, round mouthfeel from it but not an underattenuated, overly malty character.

This is more of what I can describe as far as mouthfeel goes.
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 10:32:19 am »

This is more of what I can describe as far as mouthfeel goes.

Same here.

www.dennybrew.com