Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Full Pint Malt experiences/reviews?  (Read 4367 times)

Offline salmon1a

• 1st Kit
Full Pint Malt experiences/reviews?
« on: September 10, 2015, 11:12:56 am »
Hi everyone

I just became aware of Full Pint Malt from GWM.  Anybody brew with it yet?  I would appreciate any feedback you may be able to provide, thanks.

Description from Farmhouse Brewing:
Full Pint Malt was developed at Oregon State University (originally named BCD-47) and is a spring 2-row barley. Described as "very fermentable and having a very nice extract... Full Pint wort also tasted very good, pre and post boiled... a very pleasant and strong fresh salted popcorn note. A very positive clean sweetness as well, with no harshness or astringency... the fermented Full Pint beer was clean, slightly estery, a bit tart and bready."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Full Pint Malt experiences/reviews?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 11:25:43 am »
Haven't heard of it, but now I'm gonna try to get a sample!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 11:35:34 am »
Never heard of it.  Sounds very tasty though and worth a try!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:25:50 pm »
Salty popcorn?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 09:21:05 am »
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:36:18 pm »
Salty popcorn?

My first thought too.
+2 - I was interested at first when I got the Farmhouse email, but this description moved it to the "no thanks" column.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 04:45:06 pm »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline salmon1a

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 10:36:20 am »
The salted popcorn flavor description does give one pause for concern.  Another fellow brewer recently made a blond ale primarily using this malt and gave this review:

"I'm pretty pleased with it...and the beer has been well received. Not quite 100% as I used a pinch of acid malt and a pinch of oats for body.

It's quite pale....almost pilsner-esque, and has a cracker-y quality to it. Very clear wort, I barely vorlaufed at all before clear.

I'd definitely use it again, and I think it would be well suited to saisons. That cracker-y quality reminds me a lot of MFB malts."

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 11:23:31 am »
To me that original paragraph is how I would describe continental Pilsner malt, especially the "tart and bready" part.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline salmon1a

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 04:32:37 pm »
Just a follow up on this malt.  I brewed a SMASH blond ale with this malt in early Oct. which I'm just finishing.  It cleared beautifully and exhibits a clean, tart flavor with a slight biscuit quality.  It's flavor is more distinct than other North American 2-row malts I've used (Briess, Rahr, CMC), but not in the league of some of the German malts like Weyermann or Bestmalz in terms of overall character. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 09:00:13 am »
Just a follow up on this malt.  I brewed a SMASH blond ale with this malt in early Oct. which I'm just finishing.  It cleared beautifully and exhibits a clean, tart flavor with a slight biscuit quality.  It's flavor is more distinct than other North American 2-row malts I've used (Briess, Rahr, CMC), but not in the league of some of the German malts like Weyermann or Bestmalz in terms of overall character.

How is the salty popcorn flavor?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline salmon1a

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 10:12:10 am »
I can't say I detect any salty popcorn or diacetyl flavor.  I used Safale US-05 at around 65 deg F., so I suspect the tart flavor is predominantly from the malt. 

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 10:07:56 am »
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I have brewed a couple beers with this malt now, so I figured I would chime in.

The comparisons to continental pilsner malt are off - this is more akin to a British pale malt. I got more color from it (in a SMaSH), than I ever got from Fawcett or Simpson's MO or GP. Also, the salted popcorn thing isn't how I would describe the flavor, but I understand where they're coming from. I would describe it more as bready. However, where I find maris otter, optic, halcyon, and golden promise to all be pretty smooth and slightly sweet compared to, say GW Pale Ale Malt; this malt is not only sweet, but very bready and bold. I used it in a strong US-hopped bitter (SMaSH w/Ahtanum) and in an American brown ale. In both beers the base malt stood out too much for me. I won't be buying it again, but I could see it working in smaller quantities in place of Vienna malt, perhaps.