Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Qued Judging  (Read 2939 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BJCP Qued Judging
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 10:03:57 am »
The right team of two/three lead judges could still get through a 30 beer mini-BOS.  They'll go through it faster than one of those silly situations where every judge participates and we've got 6 people of widely varying knowledge levels arguing.

Biggest I've seen was 7 teams for 64 entries. 19 in mini-BOS. 3 judges got through it quickly, and immediately kicked the 49/50 scoring beer when the not-blind-to-diacetyl palates tasted it.

Other times, with 4 teams doing 31 beers and the wrong (slow) people assigned to mini-BOS the rest of the comp was still waiting for them 90 minutes after everyone else was done...

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 10:12:49 am »
The one thing that I think hasn't been explicitly stated above is that each judge team gets its own flight summary sheet.  It only lists the scores given to the beers that that team judged. The top beers from that sheet are the ones that are selected by that team to advance to Mini-BOS.  The queued part only comes in when assigning the beers to that sheet.  Otherwise, its identical to non-queued judging.

If I am lucky enough to get 4 real 40+ point beers in my flight, there is one scenario where I'd seriously consider sending all 4 to mini-bos, but only as a last resort.

Lets say the first and last beers in the flight are the 2 vying for 3rd in my flight and they are tied or within a point.  I may or may not want to send the 4 up, simply so that I can taste them FRESH side by side on the mini-bos panel.  This is a pretty rare situation, but I would consider it if too much time has passed between the two 3rd place contenders, or, if I scored Beer A higher then B and my partner scored B higher than A but the two average scores were equal. This would only be for really high scoring beers, like 40+ 3rd place, never for a pair of 33s.  The factor here is that they aren't within a window where a side by side of the original bottle would be a good comparison.

In a nutshell, the scenario is: two entries tied for 3rd with very high scores and a long gap between those beers in the flight so that one is now warm and flat, and the other is still cold and carbonated.  I'd rather send them both up and let them fight it out while both are fresh, my rank be damned.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 10:19:41 am »
The right team of two/three lead judges could still get through a 30 beer mini-BOS.  They'll go through it faster than one of those silly situations where every judge participates and we've got 6 people of widely varying knowledge levels arguing.

Biggest I've seen was 7 teams for 64 entries. 19 in mini-BOS. 3 judges got through it quickly, and immediately kicked the 49/50 scoring beer when the not-blind-to-diacetyl palates tasted it.

Other times, with 4 teams doing 31 beers and the wrong (slow) people assigned to mini-BOS the rest of the comp was still waiting for them 90 minutes after everyone else was done...
And this is why I had personally selected who was the "lead judge" in every judge group and who was the "head judge" for each category for KCBM 33. Some judges are so slow that they grind a comp to a near halt. Luckily I know who they are and can plan around them. ;)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 10:28:05 am »
Judge more than a couple times, and you'll eventually decide that first beer that eventually "won" the flight shoulda maybe been a little higher. It is in our nature to try to leave room for that almost perfect beer to wow you. Re-tasting entries with similar scores separated by significant time is often a good idea.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 11:43:44 am »
Judge more than a couple times, and you'll eventually decide that first beer that eventually "won" the flight shoulda maybe been a little higher. It is in our nature to try to leave room for that almost perfect beer to wow you. Re-tasting entries with similar scores separated by significant time is often a good idea.

I'd say its ALWAYS a good idea, but the point I was trying to make is that even doing that may not be a fair comparison if one is sitting warm (and flat) and the other was just poured.

My point here is use common sense and you should always check with the Judge Director.
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 12:00:31 pm »
The one thing that I think hasn't been explicitly stated above is that each judge team gets its own flight summary sheet.  It only lists the scores given to the beers that that team judged. The top beers from that sheet are the ones that are selected by that team to advance to Mini-BOS.  The queued part only comes in when assigning the beers to that sheet.  Otherwise, its identical to non-queued judging.

Would you mind elaborating a bit?  I don't really follow queued vs. non-queued.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 01:23:18 pm »
In non-queued judging, the organizers will divide the list of beers from each category into flights ahead of time.  The judge team will work its way through that list until all of them from their list are judged.

In queued judging, all of the judging teams sit close by each other.  1 steward will hand a beer to be judged to each one of the judge teams.  As each team finishes the beer they are judging, they are handed another beer to judge.  They continue to get new beers as they finish until the whole category is finished.

In queued judging, the faster teams will judge more beers, and the group as a whole will finish at the same time.
In non-queued judging, every team will judge the same number (give or take 1 due to rounding) of beers and the faster teams will finish before the slower teams.

Queued judging is much more time efficient, and the mini-bos can go off without waiting for the slow team to finish up.  This frees all of the judges to move on to another flight after mini-bos, as opposed to waiting around to start it.  This time can be substantial.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:26:07 pm by santoch »
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge