Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spike V3 Kettle - Unpacking and First Impressions  (Read 5527 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Spike V3 Kettle - Unpacking and First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 07:44:36 pm »
Ja 2 quarts are always usable for a starter or whatnot. Or not. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 07:47:06 pm »

Ja 2 quarts are always usable for a starter or whatnot. Or not. :D
I use it for my hydrometer normally; but I have saved it for a starter once before.

My goal is to also go bag less with the pellets. One less thing to deal with.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 07:59:50 pm »
With a nice cone they mostly stay with the trub! What wort I can't recover goes down the drain. Ultimately there's other things to worry about such as scrubbing the gunk off right away.

That's a nice kettle man and the welds are superb. I may have to contract them if (hopefully) if I can swing an appropriately sized and powered induction burner.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 08:02:38 pm »
They are induction ready, but it would certainly take a big induction burner to get it going. 30A circuit for sure. They also weld on tri-clamps for elements. $50 I think?

I mentioned that it was heavier than I expected, but that compared to a blichmann. Compared to my keggle it's much lighter.

Offline Stevie

Spike V3 Kettle - Unpacking and First Impressions
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 11:02:06 am »
Boil is about to start. Hit my volumes and overshot my pre-boil og by .002. The etching makes measuring volume a breeze, but the og has nothing to do with the kettle.

I did hit one snag with my strike temp. I was under about 7 degrees. I must not have heated the strike water high enough. Solution was to pull off a gallon and heat it to a near boil. No harm done but for a few minutes lost.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 01:11:48 pm »
Damp air and slight breeze really jacked with my boil. I'd get a nice turn over going and it would be gone in two minutes. I am used to brewing in the opening of a garage, so this will certainly take some getting used to. I might need to build some sort of wind screen out of plywood.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 01:19:21 pm »
Ended about a half gallon high as well. Must be due to the boil situation. I think I'll leave my boil off rate of 1.5/hr alone for the time being.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 01:51:51 pm »
I weighed my propane tank before and after to get an idea on how the blichmann performs. Looks like I used just about 3lbs of propane for this batch. 60min, 6 gallon, with starting water temp of about 70°.

Maybe I was a little stingy on the propane?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 02:11:31 pm »
Something to block the wind will make the difference I bet.

RPIScotty

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 02:13:12 pm »
Great looking kettle Steve. You overshot today and I undershot! I was .004 under preboil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

Spike V3 Kettle - Unpacking and First Impressions
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 02:23:42 pm »
Something to block the wind will make the difference I bet.
I'm thinking of buying a piece of 1/2" ply wood. Maybe 4' x 4' and then fashioning some form of legs for it. I thought about covering the railing on the balcony, but our unit faces the street so I'm sure the apartment folks would flip. Maybe plywood with hooks that allow me to hang it from the railing and be able to remove it? If info this route, 1/4"'ply would work well enough.

The main issue is where our apartment is was a river a thousand years ago. We get good wind off the ocean. Compounding this is our unit is a corner so our balcony is open on two side with the wind blowing right through. The damp air makes the slightest breeze suck heat out of everything.

Hmm...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:36:25 pm by Stevie »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 02:35:56 pm »

Great looking kettle Steve. You overshot today and I undershot! I was .004 under preboil.

Due to my low boil off, I'm 5 points low on my planned. OG. 1.045 vs 1.050 is fine for first batch on a mostly new rig.

RPIScotty

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 03:06:35 pm »

Due to my low boil off, I'm 5 points low on my planned. OG. 1.045 vs 1.050 is fine for first batch on a mostly new rig.

This is hilarious. I boiled off more than expected so I was low on PBG and high on OG!

1.054 PBG ( expected 1.058 )
1.075 OG ( expected 1.071 )