Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Idaho 7 hops  (Read 12837 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Idaho 7 hops
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 12:11:17 pm »
I am finally at the drinking stage for this beer.  I really like the flavor and aroma, but IMO it is not the new Citra.  On the nose I mainly get pear with a bit of marijuana.  On the palate I get stone fruit and pear complimented by tangerine.  The last thing I will note is that this hop is delicious all by itself.  It is certainly blendable, but totally unnecessary.

As I said I really like it, but I don't think this is going to be an IPA hop.  I think it will make an outstanding Pale Ale hop.  The flavors aren't big enough for an IPA.  They are wonderful, just too soft or delicate.  And that is with a 9 oz. hopstand and 5 oz. for the dry hop.

Also FWIW we did do a total oils distillation on this hop.  It came out at 1.2 (mL/100g)

I thought the same about it as an APA hop, Steve. I really like the character of it but wasn't able to get an IPA level punch with a hop schedule that normally gives intense hop character. SN's IPA version had a ton of great hop character FWIW (and was single hopped). I still like it and will use some in an APA this year.
Jon H.