Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blending Malts  (Read 3472 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Blending Malts
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 09:55:41 am »

Apparently a lot of the trappist breweries blend a few different base malts to build complexity.

You have a reference?

BLAM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup that's where I read it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 09:56:48 am »
FWIW, both of those are in fact pale malt.  Depending on the maltster of the MO, it might be closer to a pale ale malt.  In general, pale malt and what's referred to as "2 row" are the same thing.  And almost every barley malt out there will be 2 row.

Good point.  I fall into this same trap.  It's carryover from when we started brewing way back in the 1990s, when 6-row was very common.  Remember those days, man?  ;)

I don't remember anything before last Saturday!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 10:00:10 am »
FWIW, both of those are in fact pale malt.  Depending on the maltster of the MO, it might be closer to a pale ale malt.  In general, pale malt and what's referred to as "2 row" are the same thing.  And almost every barley malt out there will be 2 row.

Good point.  I fall into this same trap.  It's carryover from when we started brewing way back in the 1990s, when 6-row was very common.  Remember those days, man?  ;)

I don't remember anything before last Saturday!  ;)

I can't remember yesterday!  I just remember doing..... what they told me.... told me... told me... told me....
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 10:21:24 am »
Apparently a lot of the trappist breweries blend a few different base malts to build complexity.

You have a reference?

BLAM

EDIT: After reviewing I wasn't able to find a reference to any of the Trappists. What I remembered was the section on Duvel.

But I haven't reviewed it thoroughly yet. I know it's in there somewhere. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, that's possible. But we all know there's a good reason why the beer is called Duvel.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.