Author Topic: Check out the color  (Read 1696 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Check out the color
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 06:55:41 PM »
The reason I quit using my tubing some time back was because I had a lot of problems with stuck sparges. With the tubing off I could easily see when my runnings were slowing down. However I seem to have overcome the stuck sparge problem when I went to thinner mashes.

It seems to me that the tubing helps get a siphon going which helps to completely empty your tun.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 07:08:19 PM »

The reason I quit using my tubing some time back was because I had a lot of problems with stuck sparges. With the tubing off I could easily see when my runnings were slowing down. However I seem to have overcome the stuck sparge problem when I went to thinner mashes.

It seems to me that the tubing helps get a siphon going which helps to completely empty your tun.
+ 1 - gravity

Do you open your valve a tiny amount in the beginning of run off? This helps to prevent compaction.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 07:33:17 PM »
I can not seem to find the info to input this malt into my ingredients list.  Anyone have a link?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
Best I found was 11-13L, 5% moisture, and 79% extract. This was from Best Malz's website. They didn't have the enzymes listed, but it can be used 100%, so high enough.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 12:01:41 AM »
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 12:02:54 AM »

+ 1 - gravity

Do you open your valve a tiny amount in the beginning of run off? This helps to prevent compaction.

I had more stuck sparges when I did that.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 12:03:39 AM »
*shrug*

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 12:09:55 AM »
When I opened slowly grains would come out, then more grains, then the liquid would stop running altogether. When I started opening wide open from the start, a pack of grains would shoot out, then the liquid would run for a while before slowing down to a stop SOMETIMES. Then when I went to a thinner mash and opening all the way immediately I stopped having stuck sparges altogether. I should add I am using a false bottom.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS